I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Hormone Therapy issues

User
Posted 20 Apr 2019 at 00:37

Been on HT for 8 months. First 6 months was low dose 50mg bicalutamide, and last 2 months on Zoladex.
Also on Tamoxifen for 5 months for gynaecomastia (which has worked very well, and completely reversed it).

Something I've noticed is I keep breaking fingernails - ends getting chipped and needing trimming to neaten up. I searched and found that this is a recognised symptom of menopause due to loss of estrogen. I guess that could be mirrored by HT and loss of testosterone, and/or Tamoxifen blocking estrogen.

Anyone else noticed this?

Also, how long does it take to start getting hot flushes? I don't think I've had one yet, and I'm wondering if I might have ducked that bullet or if it's too soon to tell. I do get quite sweaty at night, but I did before HT too - not sure if it's got any worse, or if I'm just more conscious of it as part of keeping an eye out for new symptoms.

User
Posted 20 Apr 2019 at 08:11

Hi 

I think the broken fingernails (and teeth) may be a problem of HT as certainly John has had this all the way through, he was given calceos tablets as he was leaching calcium, but he does have spread to bones so that’s the most likely reason for that. Not sure if you do. The hot flushes came quickly for John but went after a couple of years, he’s been on HT for nearly nine years now.

love Devonmaid

User
Posted 20 Apr 2019 at 08:14
Hot flushes are certainly not inevitable. I've been on HT since August last year and haven't had them.

All the best,

Chris

User
Posted 21 Apr 2019 at 12:05

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Hi 

I think the broken fingernails (and teeth) may be a problem of HT as certainly John has had this all the way through, he was given calceos tablets as he was leaching calcium, but he does have spread to bones so that’s the most likely reason for that. Not sure if you do. The hot flushes came quickly for John but went after a couple of years, he’s been on HT for nearly nine years now.

I don't have any mets that they've managed to find so far, although my PSA is certainly high enough it would not be a surprise, but they have looked quite hard as a consequence. However, losing bone calcium is a side effect of HT, in particular, loss of testosterone (and menopause with loss of estrogen in women). More strictly, bones lose calcium all the time as part of the replenishment process, but the replacing doesn't happen much without testosterone/estrogen. I don't know what impact bone mets have on it.

I am not prescribed any calcium, but I self-medicate one Adcal-D3 tablet daily, before exercise. Normally, these would be prescribed 2 a day for osteoporosis patients, which adds up to the recommended daily intake of Calcium and vitamin D3, so I'm on half that dose. In my reading up on calcium loss in HT, the absence of testosterone means that bones were only likely to take up calcium when stressed, e.g. exercise, and plenty of vitamin D3 is available. The other thing is that sweating uses calcium (something to do with driving the sodium ions into the sweat glands), so you want to make sure you aren't short of calcium when sweating, or your body will "borrow" calcium from the bones, but under HT, will struggle to put it back later as a normal body would.

For anyone who is interested in Adcal-D3, although normally a prescribed medication, it doesn't require a prescription but you will need to ask the pharmacist for it. You should also check your doctor is happy for you to take it as it is contra-indicated for some medical conditions and other medications, and screwing up your body's calcium levels can be serious. When I asked about taking it, my GP offered to prescribe it, but I said I was happy to buy it (costs less than a prescription fee, unless you buy the large box).

Thanks for the info on hot flushes. I searched, but I couldn't see any posts where people said how quickly they start.

User
Posted 22 Apr 2019 at 10:35
My hot flushes appeared within a couple of weeks on Hormone Injections, and peaked at 3-4 / day within 3 months. Now, 18 months after finishing 3 years of injections, I still get a couple or three a week.
User
Posted 23 Apr 2019 at 15:16

I wandered into someone's blog last night which said they started getting hot flushes after the second Zoladex injection, so looks like it can start after some months in some cases.

User
Posted 23 Apr 2019 at 20:33
Regarding the prescription you should be eligible for an exemption card. You can get a form from your GP surgery.

Bri

User
Posted 23 Apr 2019 at 20:40
That's a very good point. ANYONE who is diagnosed with cancer is eligible for an NHS "Medical Exemption" card which gives you free prescriptions for 5 years. Ask a chemist for a form, fill it in, and get it signed by your GP.

Cheers,

Chris

User
Posted 23 Apr 2019 at 21:26
And once the 5 years is up, you can apply for a renewal if

a) you are still having treatment for PCa

b) you still have PCa or

c) you are having treatment for the side effects of PCa or its treatment

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 23 Apr 2019 at 22:35

Regarding the prescription you should be eligible for an exemption card. You can get a form from your GP surgery.

Bri

Yes, I have it now. I didn't know about it at the beginning - I don't recall any of the introductory info I got mentioning it.

Both my GP and my Macmillan nurse applied for me, and I ended up with two, but they are the same dates.

I still buy the Adcal-D3 off prescription, but they're cheap.

Recently got my cheap car park pass (£1, I think) ready for my daily RT sessions at Mount Vernon, although they're probably a few months off yet.

User
Posted 24 Apr 2019 at 07:02

I have been on zoladex for 4.5 years now. Hot flushes started after about a year, have got worse slowly. The summer is particularly bad as once the body starts to glow then it’s hard to find an easy way of cooling down. Mostly at night but can be triggered by any slightly stressful or warm situation or nothing at all! Spicy food and or alcohol makes them more prevalent.

cracked nails started about 2 years after treatment started. Now very common and I have to remember to keep them short or they will crack half way to the quick. I use neutrogena hand and nail cream ( others are available I am sure)which seems to improve them but I forget until they crack, silly me.

i have osteopenia from the treatment and now take calcichew prescribed twice a day. I was on zolondronic acid infusions but they seemed to affect my teeth so we’re stopped as bone density improved a bit. I am also mainly vegan so have to search hard to get calcium in my food.

just one (three!) of those things, rather these than the alternative of no treatment.

Dream like you have forever, live like you only have today Avatar is me doing the 600 mile Camino de Santiago May 2019

User
Posted 30 Apr 2019 at 12:13

cracked nails started about 2 years after treatment started. Now very common and I have to remember to keep them short or they will crack half way to the quick. I use neutrogena hand and nail cream ( others are available I am sure)which seems to improve them but I forget until they crack, silly me.

I bought the neutrogena hand and nail cream, and used it once, concentrating on rubbing it into the finger nails. Then I went away for a few days and forgot to take it. No broken nails in these few days. I was normally breaking nails at least once a day, so this is looking good, so thanks.

Sainsbury's have it at a good price. Amazon too (same price), but only available to Prime members.

Edited by member 30 Apr 2019 at 12:14  | Reason: Not specified