I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Radiation seed implants

User
Posted 28 Apr 2019 at 05:02

I chose the radiation seed implants.  I would not make that choice if I had it to do over.  When I had my procedure,  the robotic surgery was just starting.  If I had it to do over, I would have had it removed surgically.  After I had the seed implants, life was pretty miserable for several months until the seed strength started to dissipate.  Being on Tamsulosin all these years has pretty much ruined my kidneys.  I am at stage 3 kidney disease with cortical atrophy on right kidney with multiple cysts on right kidney.  Here in the US, there is now a class  action lawsuit against the makers of this drug.  From other men I have talked with, most are going with the robotic surgery with mostly good results.

User
Posted 28 Apr 2019 at 14:38

Hi Walter,

Welcome to this forum, though sorry it is due to PCa that brings you here and for your kidney problem.

It has to be acknowledged that there are risks with any treatment given individually or in combination with another(s). I was not aware that Tamsulosin posed a high risk of kidney problems - I have been taking it for the best part of 30 years without apparent problem but would be interested to learn more about the class action you refer to and any link you are able to provide. Many men are on Tamsulosin and I am sure like me they would like to learn more about substantive concerns over this drug.

It seems from what you are saying that you chose to have Brachytherapy (seeds) because robotic surgery was not available at the time but you could possibly have had open Prostatectomy where success overall is little different to Robotic surgery and in some cases better, although recovery time is shorter with the latter. The kidney damage aside, how successful was your Bracytherapy? We don't know your diagnosis and histology but you may have needed a form of RT even if you had have had a Prostatectomy . It would be helpful if you posted details of your diagnosis under your Profile.

Edited by member 28 Apr 2019 at 14:53  | Reason: Not specified

Barry
User
Posted 28 Apr 2019 at 18:38
Good evening from the UK Boilerman,

And, I'm really sorry to read that your choice of brachytherapy to treat your PCa did not work out for you.

Anyone else reading of your experience should note that:

1. some people in the UK seem to do well on it.
2. we all make our choice on our chosen treatment option based on 3 things:

a. what our head demands
b. what is offered.
c. what is available.
d. what we choose.

Hopefully you can and will explore options to improve your outcomes.

kr

dave

All we can do - is do all that we can.

So, do all you can to help yourself, then make the best of your time. :-)

I am the statistic.

User
Posted 28 Apr 2019 at 20:55

30% of people in their 70's have stage-3 CKD (raising to 35% in their 80's). It needs monitoring to check there's no resolvable cause and it's not getting worse, but it generally has no symptoms. It corresponds to 50% kidney function, or having just one kidney, which is not normally an issue.

No drug has ever been invented which doesn't have side effects in some people. All the PCa treatments available have significant side effects. You don't know at the outset which side effects you will get from which treatments which is part of the treatment choice gamble, but you can be reasonably sure what happens with no treatment. Treatment is generally a case of swapping some severe symptoms or outcomes for less severe symptoms or outcomes, and sadly not a case of restoring you to the state of never having had the problem in the first case.

You survived PCa for a long time so far with your treatment choice - many people here would wish they were that fortunate. It could have been that if you'd had a prostatectomy, some micro mets would have been left behind and you might not be around today, whereas the brachy zapped them. I would not assume you made the wrong choice, but you do need to be realistic about side effects of all treatments.

User
Posted 29 Apr 2019 at 11:48

Hi I had the choice of robotic removal but decided to have Brachytherapy as i felt it was less intrusive and and hopefully  have less side affects that many of the robotic patients had after surgery.

I was on tamsulosin for the first seven months and weaned myself off of them and know have no medication.

My PC was picked up by my doctor after a blood test at 70 for renewing my 7.5 ton licence and microscopic blood was picked up in my urine and after further tests they found a PSA 2.19 Gleason 3+4=7  not so high but after MRI and other tests 5 samples out of 20 where found to be positive.This was in April 2016 and i am on yearly blood test with the last PSA 0.22.

No real problems at the moment (31 months) and still happy i took the Brachytherapy route.

John.