I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

psa sample

User
Posted 29 Apr 2019 at 17:59

Mr L received an appointment to see his consultant for his 2nd follow up since RP in December, through the post on Saturday morning. This has given us little time to have his PSA done at our gp’s, they are simply to busy to fit him in before then. However we have a phlebotomist in the family who has agreed to take the bloods providing the gp provides all thst is needed, and I will drop the sample off to the hospital labs tomorrow. My question is will the sample still be good if leaving it overnight? the sample will be taken tonight and not dropped off until 8.30 in the morning. I need to know that the delay won’t effect the PSA reading.

User
Posted 29 Apr 2019 at 19:04

Hi Chris, 

our phlebotomist said lots of samples are not refrigerated during the night, and seems to think it will be fine.  I think I will mention it to the surgeon on Wednesday. Best be safe than sorry.

thanks

User
Posted 30 Apr 2019 at 09:14

It is very stressful, I concur.

thanks for the good wishes ido4

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 29 Apr 2019 at 18:38
Does your phlebotomist not know that ? May need to be put in fridge etc. Not sure
User
Posted 29 Apr 2019 at 19:04

Hi Chris, 

our phlebotomist said lots of samples are not refrigerated during the night, and seems to think it will be fine.  I think I will mention it to the surgeon on Wednesday. Best be safe than sorry.

thanks

User
Posted 30 Apr 2019 at 04:08
In Coventry, many chemists offer a phlebotomy service in the mornings. The samples are collected after midday and the results are on my EMIS Patient Access app around 08.30 next day.

Cheers, John

User
Posted 30 Apr 2019 at 08:10

John that sounds like a fantastic service you have there.  Unless you know a month in advance you'll need an appointment at our gp's you have no chance of getting in!  Note to self make Mr L an appointment in 2 months time for 3 months!!!

Feeling very anxious about seeing the surgeon tomorrow and the PSA result, praying it's good news.

Thanks.

User
Posted 30 Apr 2019 at 08:27

That is a fantastic service. I can only book appointments up to two weeks in advance and sometimes they are already all gone by 8.15!

very stressful.

Mrs and Mr L, hoping the news is good tomorrow. 

Ido4

User
Posted 30 Apr 2019 at 09:14

It is very stressful, I concur.

thanks for the good wishes ido4

User
Posted 30 Apr 2019 at 09:19

In my area (Luton and Dunstable), when you need a blood or urine test from GP or consultant, they can give you a form in advance which lists which tests required (the forms are identical, regardless who gives you one). You can then take this along to anywhere which takes blood tests, and there are a number of drop-in centres. I go to a different surgery from my own which has a drop-in centre for bloods and you typically wait about 10mins. The other nice thing is you can go in with multiple forms from different doctors, and they just need one jab to do all the tests (and sometimes just a single phial). The only bizzare thing is the results are only visible to the doctor who requested them, and not other tests done from the same phial at the same time required by another doctor.

See if you can get a blood test form, and if you have the option of local drop-in centres.

User
Posted 30 Apr 2019 at 15:58

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Hi Chris, 

thanks

I wonder if that could be another explanation for the sometimes unreliability of PSA tests at ultra sensitive levels? Will add it to the list for next appointment with Mr P or Mr B. 

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard