Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

New to site,

User
Posted 03 May 2019 at 19:41

Hi

My husband was diagnosed last Aug Metastatic advanced PC, Gl 9 PSA 310.  Hot spots on spine (2 at bottom, and one on pelvic floor), also 1 Lymph node involved Started Chemo straight away,6 cycles and got through it really well. Also on Lupron inj every 3 months. PSA went down to 1.5 by end of treatment.

Told we were doing 6 cycles of EBRT that starts in 2wks time, we know its uncurable, they have told us that at the begining, so its classed as palliative treatment  (lovely term)

My husband is 62yrs, quite fit, only reason we found out was pain in one side of stomach, so had a stent fitted, as it was the LN pressing on a kidney.that has since been removed because the chemo has worked well (so we have been told). When we saw our OnCol at the end of March the PSA had gone up from 1.5 to 2.00 (its never been below 1.5) and im now anxious , does anyone on this site know what it should be for a man with prostrate still intact, I know that if it keeps raising its trouble, but 2.00 still seems high, the OnCol said he wasnt concerned, what will it need to go up till before they intervein ? Is it if it starts to Double every time when have a blood test (every 3 months)

User
Posted 03 May 2019 at 20:23
There is no ‘should be’ with advanced PCa and HT; some men go down to less than 1 while others may hover around 10 or 20 or even higher.

Small changes in PSA are not significant on HT, especially after chemo. It may simply have been down to how close to the next injection he was when his bloods were done. Even significant changes might not change the treatment plan for the time being. If it rises test after test, they may check his testosterone to ensure he is at or below castrate level and ultimately, when the Lupron fails they will probably add other hormones that work in slightly different ways.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 03 May 2019 at 21:03
thankyou for your quick reply, can I ask,what is castrate level, Is it about 20 ? our oncologist has never mentioned this, but I will now ask next time I see him. I think I can relax a little bit more now, till our next appointment in June.
It all seems to be about the PSA level, when you read anything, so when it went up I panicked a bit. Being newish to all this
Thanks again
User
Posted 03 May 2019 at 22:03
Castrate level is a measurement of his testosterone - it should be 0.69 or less.

Testosterone isn't automatically measured at the same time as PSA so the onco probably won't know his level in June. If they get concerned in the future, it is a test they might arrange.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 03 May 2019 at 23:18
once again thanks for the info, much appreciated.