I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search



Prostate biopsy goes awry

Posted 07 May 2019 at 08:21

hi All. Not sure if this is the right place for this. My first post is from a hospital bed a week after my biopsy. It all seemed to go OK until I walked out the exam room and blood started pouring down my leg. Oh that’s not good I thought. To cut a long story short, five mins later I’m in resusc being worked on by no less than 12 doctors/nurses, who were all frantically trying to stop the bleeding. I was hooked up to a blood transfusion and god knows what else. They got me stable by plugging me up with a number of absorbent plugs- ouch. I now sit here a week later healing from the experience and I still have my biopsy results to come- yay😀. Has this ever happened to anyone here? I gather the odds are so remote as to be vanishingly small, so at least I’m kind of one in a million 😀. 

Posted 07 May 2019 at 17:12
Good heavens - I’ve never heard of that happening before! Was it a TRUS biopsy? Presumably a blood vessel must have ruptured somewhere?

Posted 07 May 2019 at 17:45

Sorry to hear this.
Rectal bleed is certainly one of the risks listed, but normally just when you do a No. 2 over the next week or so and not needing any intervention. In my case, nothing initially but I had a little blood a few times when doing a no 2 over the next 5 months and got them to check it out when they were doing the later template biopsy, but it's fixed itself now.

What's been happening for the week you've been in hospital - seems like a long time to just lay in bed unless they are actively doing something.

Posted 07 May 2019 at 18:27

That sounds horrendous. Hope you are well enough to go home soon.


Posted 08 May 2019 at 10:01

Yes it was horrendous and also pretty disgusting. Initially I had the plugs inserted up my backside to stop the bleeding (ouch). They left these in place for three days then took them out under a general. They put me under in case it started bleeding again so they could intervene straight away. Luckily there was no sign of active bleeding so they kept me on the ward and kept a close eye on me. My BP (120/70) and haemoglobin (114) remained stable, which indicated that there was no bleeding and yesterday the doc said he was happy for me to to go home but just to keep vigilant for any fresh blood and take it very easy for the next few days. The most disgusting thing was that where the plugs were in place all the old backed up blood was still up there and over the next few days it sort of oozed out more or less continuously. Luckily, he had completed the biopsy before the blood started gushing so won’t have to go through that again. Just got to wait for the results now.

Posted 08 May 2019 at 10:04

Yes it was a TRUS biopsy at Hayward’s Heath (West Sussex) hospital.

Forum Jump  
©2019 Prostate Cancer UK