Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Father orchiectomy operation

User
Posted 15 May 2019 at 13:05

Dear All

My father undergoing orchiectomy operation . Hope so all well.

Regards,

Bose

User
Posted 16 May 2019 at 12:51

Can I suggest you post all your questions in one thread because it is easier to keep track of thinks and you may get a better response?

User
Posted 18 May 2019 at 11:07

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
Probably the best thing for him Bose. Hope all goes well.

My mate who has spent thousands all over the world with umpteen consultants and clinics is seriously contemplating orchidectomy as a final solution to his disease!

Is there any evidence as to its efficacy?

Cheers, John.

User
Posted 18 May 2019 at 22:04

About 5% of testosterone comes from the adrenal glands.
What happens about that?

With regards to reversing - testosterone doesn't always recover after HT either.
I guess you could go with TRT if necessary, although it's difficult to imagine how you would justify that if you were on a path with lifelong ADT.

User
Posted 20 May 2019 at 22:09
In your dad's case, only because it might be the hormones that are affecting his diabetes.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 22 May 2019 at 18:26
it is always best to ask such questions in the consultation. If you think of questions afterwards perhaps you could pass them to your consultants secretary so she can pass them on to him for answering.
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 16 May 2019 at 12:51

Can I suggest you post all your questions in one thread because it is easier to keep track of thinks and you may get a better response?

User
Posted 16 May 2019 at 13:18

Dear Prostate Pete,

thanks for your reply,

From next time i will do it.

Regards,

Bose

User
Posted 16 May 2019 at 19:31
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 18 May 2019 at 08:30

Dear LynEyre,

Thank you so much 😊

Regards,

Bose

User
Posted 18 May 2019 at 11:07

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

My mate who has spent thousands all over the world with umpteen consultants and clinics is seriously contemplating orchidectomy as a final solution to his disease!

Is there any evidence as to its efficacy?

Cheers, John.

User
Posted 18 May 2019 at 21:03
It would generally be as effective as HT and would last for a similar length of time. The advantage is for men who have other medical issues that make taking anti-androgens difficult (fear of needles, mobility, allergic reaction, blood disorders, etc). The downsides are a) it has the same side effects in terms of muscle loss, fatigue, weakness and b) it is irreversible (a major drawback if it is unsuccessful or the side effects are unbearable).

Having said that, we had a member Alex who had orchiectomy when HT failed and did amazingly well for a number of years.

User
Posted 18 May 2019 at 22:04

About 5% of testosterone comes from the adrenal glands.
What happens about that?

With regards to reversing - testosterone doesn't always recover after HT either.
I guess you could go with TRT if necessary, although it's difficult to imagine how you would justify that if you were on a path with lifelong ADT.

User
Posted 18 May 2019 at 23:17
You were too literal - what I meant was that they can't put the testicles back if he changes his mind!

Anti-androgens don't completely halt testosterone production either - orchiectomy is supposed to be slightly more effective in that regard, I think.

User
Posted 20 May 2019 at 11:17
Dear LynEyre,

Thanks for your quick response.

orchiectomy is more effective than Hormone therapy ????? why can you tell me please.

Regards,

Bose

User
Posted 20 May 2019 at 22:09
In your dad's case, only because it might be the hormones that are affecting his diabetes.

User
Posted 22 May 2019 at 11:33
Dear LynEyre,

thanks for your response.

If prostate size in enlarged it means that psa is rising . Actually my father current psa level is 0.2 and recently he have done with orchiectomy operation. Next psa test will be in july month but Oncologist recommended us for ultrasound to see prostate size but why ???????

regards,

Bose

User
Posted 22 May 2019 at 18:26
it is always best to ask such questions in the consultation. If you think of questions afterwards perhaps you could pass them to your consultants secretary so she can pass them on to him for answering.