I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Salvage Radiotherapy after Radiotherapy?

User
Posted 19 May 2019 at 09:38

Has anyone had EBRT as first-line treatment, and when PSA starts rising, had radiotherapy again? I suppose this is not usually done because of several side effects.

I had EBRT over ten years ago, and have had intermittent HT after recurrence for eight years. Now doctors suggest radiotherapy again. Does anybody know if this has been done before, in the UK or in some other country? If so, how severe will the side effects be?  

Jokke

User
Posted 19 May 2019 at 13:48
Read profile of member davekirkham as he had HDR Brachytherapy as post External Beam RT salvage treatment

Ray

User
Posted 19 May 2019 at 15:01

Depends on individual circumstances such as where further occurrence is in relation to the paths the original EBRT took. (This is what the Royal Marsden told me when I asked the question.) They played it safe in my case and recommended me for HIFU. But if a met or a small number is/are further away sometimes further RT can be given and also to relieve pain caused by a few mets but the amount of RT is limited.

Edited by member 19 May 2019 at 15:02  | Reason: Not specified

Barry
User
Posted 19 May 2019 at 19:08

My understanding from some conversations I've had is that that EBRT as first-line treatment is always given as the max dose allowed, so you can't have it again because you already had the max dose.

However, there are some things that can mitigate this. If you had EBRT some time ago, such as before IMRT, the max dose was lower, so you may still have some spare headroom by today's standards. Also, if the mets are well defined, modern highly directed beams can be used to target them, although that might mean private treatment.

User
Posted 22 May 2019 at 21:36

Ray, Barry, Andy: Thank you all! You have been very helpful.

Jokke