I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Rollercoaster.....continues

User
Posted 19 May 2019 at 21:06

Evening all, so dad flow through the first chemo! #winning but then he got shingles, not so great so this knocked back the 2nd round of chemo by two weeks, so hoping for the all clear for chemo on this Thursday! 

My question tonight is anyone who’s had the chemo and then radiotherapy how many radiotherapy sessions did you get after chemo and how long many weeks were they over? 

Amy 

User
Posted 19 May 2019 at 22:11
It varies depending on the purpose. RT to the prostate and pelvic area has for many years been 37 fractions of 2Gy but more recently, many oncology departments have been giving 19, 20 or 21 fractions of up to 3Gy. The research showed that giving fewer sessions at a higher dose is more effective and has fewer side effects, if the man is fit enough to tolerate it.

So your dad is likely to have between 4 and 7 weeks of treatment.

If RT was being given to distant mets, for example to reduce pain or stabilise a bone, it might only be 1 - 5 sessions.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 19 May 2019 at 22:12

Hi Amy

My husband has got his final chemo on Wednesday and then he will have 20 sessions of radiotherapy over 4 weeks. This will commence in approximately four weeks time.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 19 May 2019 at 22:11
It varies depending on the purpose. RT to the prostate and pelvic area has for many years been 37 fractions of 2Gy but more recently, many oncology departments have been giving 19, 20 or 21 fractions of up to 3Gy. The research showed that giving fewer sessions at a higher dose is more effective and has fewer side effects, if the man is fit enough to tolerate it.

So your dad is likely to have between 4 and 7 weeks of treatment.

If RT was being given to distant mets, for example to reduce pain or stabilise a bone, it might only be 1 - 5 sessions.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 19 May 2019 at 22:12

Hi Amy

My husband has got his final chemo on Wednesday and then he will have 20 sessions of radiotherapy over 4 weeks. This will commence in approximately four weeks time.