I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Unexpected side effects

User
Posted 22 May 2019 at 14:28

After 37 radiotherapy sessions I was clear of prostate cancer. All concerned with the process were very professional, supportive and friendly.

Unfortunately, some months after the last session, an endoscopy (following evidence of bleeding) found bleeding blood vessels, which were treated over three sessions (about 18 months) by APC - Argon Plasma Coagulation.

I also had urinary and bowel problems, the latter more significant than the former.

Then, about 4 years after the all clear, my psa count suggested a recurrence. at a low level, of cancer, now being treated by Decapetyl injections every three months.

User
Posted 26 May 2019 at 04:39

Arfon,

I think you have no responses because you haven't provided enough information for anyone to comment on.

I suggest you complete your profile by including your original diagnostics including PSA levels and dates and cancer staging if you have them, treatments (was it just radiotherapy, or hormone therapy, and if so when did you finish that), and your PSA history since the radiotherapy.

Bleeding blood vessels in the bowel after radiotherapy is not unexpected, and can happen 4 or more years later. They were weakened by the radiotherapy.

Edited by member 26 May 2019 at 04:41  | Reason: typos

User
Posted 30 May 2019 at 14:24
Thanks, Andy and Heenan for your comments. I'm afraid I have forgotten many of the details. My psa was never high; biopsies showed cancer in 5 of 8 samples and the surgeon said the tumour size was 7/10. After the RT my psa was 0 and no hormone therapy was given. A routine blood test showed psa of 3+ and this was considered high enough to suggest 3-monthly Decapeptyl (anti-testosterone)

injections should be started. The latest number was 2.2, which is encouraging.

Best wishes to you both. Arfon.

User
Posted 30 May 2019 at 18:49

Do you know why you didn't have hormone therapy during your radiotherapy? That is the norm, because it makes the radiotherapy work better.

You can request your medical records if you want to know your historic test results. It is likely the hospital and your GP have separate sets of records, and you would need to request from whichever requested the tests, or both. It is a good idea to keep a medical diary with things like your PSA test results and other significant test and treatment dates. I bring my medical diary to all consultations, and it's often easier to find things in that than the consultant finding them in my hospital records.