I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Prostap Injections at GP’s

User
Posted 24 May 2019 at 18:19

I have been transferred to my GP for future 3 month injections. Can anyone tell me what the procedure is?

User
Posted 24 May 2019 at 20:15
In my case it’s quite simple. My GP put the Prostap injection on repeat prescription along with other meds. I just make an appointment with practice nurse for when it’s due, request the Prostap injection on the repeat prescription week or so before, collect it from Boots and take it with me to the appointment with nurse.
User
Posted 24 May 2019 at 21:57

What DBlue says is the same for me on Zoladex, except I ended up with two to start with, so I have one spare all the time, which although probably not intentional, seemed like a good idea across brexit. (I did read on another forum that the injection can go wrong, and another one will be needed, and some people keep a spare for that reason.) I can't make the (12 weekly in the case of Zoladex) appointments more than 4 weeks in advance, which is a slight annoyance. The nurse is very insistent that they won't give you the injection even 1 day early. Zoladex is injected into the fat under the skin of the abdomen. They record which side was done, and alternate.

However, I'm a bit unusual at my surgery for some unknown reason, and this is not how it normally works for their Zoladex patients, as most patients don't get a prescription. Instead, the surgery keeps a stock of Zoladex and uses that. However, since I do have a repeat prescription setup, I use that rather than the surgery's stock, so I'm not dependent on someone else having stocked up. (Probably one of the staff set up the repeat prescription unaware of their normal practice.)

Out of interest, does anyone do their own Prostap or Zoladex injections? I saw on a US forum that some people do their own Zoladex at least.

User
Posted 25 May 2019 at 10:35
Same here, repeat prescription, make an appointment with the nurse and pick it up from the pharmacy a few days before.

User
Posted 25 May 2019 at 13:41
Tony has his at the surgery, they make his next appt straight away and does not have to pick up a prescription they have it there for him.

regards barbara

User
Posted 25 May 2019 at 14:19

Same for me. Prostap waiting for me at appointment time, no need to order it and next appointment for 12 weeks time made immediately.

I could not contemplate needles in my stomach so it is given in alternate upper arm.

best regards

User
Posted 26 May 2019 at 19:29
Same for me. Practice Nurse orders the Prostap and all I have to do is make my appoinment 3 weeks before my 3 months is up as her appointment diary only goes that for bookings.
User
Posted 05 Jan 2020 at 00:01

Went for my quarterly Prostap jab on Thursday. New nurse at the GPs who didn't inspire much confidence.

I noticed she was opening a Prostap package, not my usual Prostap3. When I queried this she admitted she'd opened the wrong one which was intended for the guy in the Q behind me having his first month's injection.

Anyway she "found," the correct 3 month medication and did the business.

Thought it maybe worth mentioning, important we get the correct meds.

User
Posted 05 Jan 2020 at 08:27
Our lives in their hands. The thing is would she have noticed if you hadn’t pointed out her mistake.

Bri

User
Posted 05 Jan 2020 at 09:24
I'm on Decapeptyl as opposed to Prostap, but just make an appointment 3 or 4 weeks before and let them know it's for a 3 monthly jab. The nurse makes it up in front of me and and injects it in my buttock. Probably helps that the GP surgery has a dispensary downstairs but nurse did say there are quite a few patients on HT so there's always stock.

Good luck to everyone coping with the insidious big C

User
Posted 05 Jan 2020 at 11:49

Zoladex has to go into the abdomen.
That may be because they didn't test it anywhere else, or because they did, and it didn't work as well. It would have to go into a fat layer anyway.

Other LHRH injections have different rules.

I have considered doing my own now that my 30 years experienced nurse has gone, but I'll see how the next one goes first.

User
Posted 05 Jan 2020 at 12:26

I was originally on Prostap which the surgery supplied, now I’m on Decapeptyl I have to order it myself on a repeat prescription 

User
Posted 24 Mar 2020 at 15:38
Got a Prostap jab scheduled at the GPs on 2/4/20. They've cancelled the appointment and told me they'll do it as a home visit if I have no cough, cold, sore throat or high temperature.

Very efficient.

User
Posted 24 Mar 2020 at 18:16

Good to hear Jasper. My husband will need his mid May so hope he can get it with ease as well. 

Mrs MAS

User
Posted 04 Apr 2020 at 14:14
I had my first monthly Prostap injection last week which was given at the hospital, and the plan is to have further injections given through the GP surgery. I phoned the surgery a week later but they hadn't had any instructions, so I contacted the hospital to ask them to send the letter promptly. Knowing my GP surgery as I do (sadly, not always as on-the-ball as I'd like) I know I would have to "project manage" this process at the best of times, and given the current situation I have a feeling that is going to be even more necessary. But we'll get there in the end.

By the way, I am having the hormone therapy as additional treatment after a radical prostatectomy, as they found cancer in a lymph node and my post-op PSA was 0.29. I opted for monthly rather than 3-monthly injections as my oncologist said that the recovery after the last injection would be quicker. I am due to have six weeks of radiotherapy starting in June, subject to that being possible at the hospital at that time.

Otherwise, I'm feeling fine

User
Posted 28 Apr 2020 at 12:17

DIY Prostap injection during CV-19  - I did my last one myself, as the surgery was in lockdown and appointments difficult to get - I decided it was safer all round.  I have my injection of Prostap 3 DCS (the 3 month one) into my abdomen. I've obviously seen the nurse do it many times, and the manufacturer has an excellent video on preparing the injection on their website      https://prostapdcs.co.uk/professional/the-device/administration/
There are also videos online showing how to do an SC (Sub cutaneous ) injection - basically pinch and inch (!) of flab about 3 inches left or right ( keep a note, and alternate them ) of your navel, and insert the needle at about 30 to 45 degrees horizontally all the way, and inject SLOWLY, having followed the above prep instructions carefully, IF you are using that make of injection.
This was my first time, done with much trepidation, but it went fine. I flicked the injection point with my finger to numb it slightly, and didn't feel a thing ! ( -better than my nurse with her "slight scratch" !  Sorry, Emma ). It saved a trip to the GP, and kept me and my nurse safer during these mad times.