I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Cycling while still incontinent

User
Posted 29 May 2019 at 12:50

My husband had a prostectomy in January but didn't have the catheter removed until the middle of March due to problems.  He now wants to start cycling again.  His Consultant said he mustn't do this until his continence returns but an expert at the continence clinic has told him it's ok to cycle.  I want him to wait but I think he is going to take the advice of the clinic.  Any thoughts??

User
Posted 29 May 2019 at 16:59

Hi Sarajane, Here are my thoughts although I've no experience of this. 

Many men will be incontinent for quite a while and I'm not sure why that would be a factor.

It's around 4 months since his operation and he's had problems, whatever they were.  If his stomach wounds are healed then it's likely his internal wounds will be doing well.   I'm conservative and didn't start going back to the gym for several months after the op and then took it very easy, my stomach wounds told me quite firmly when I was overdoing it.   My internal wounds didn't complain about anything.

I'd be thinking around now is time to give cycling a gentle go and to find a soft saddle.  See how it goes not straining too much.  Some people are more adventurous but there is a risk of damaging the wound and getting scar tissue which might need another op and for that reason I'd be taking it cautiously.

Edited by member 29 May 2019 at 17:09  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 29 May 2019 at 20:18

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

My husband had a prostectomy in January but didn't have the catheter removed until the middle of March due to problems ..... His Consultant said he mustn't do this until his continence returns but an expert at the continence clinic has told him it's ok to cycle.  

I think it depends on the nature of the complication that led to him needing a catheter for such a long time and whether there is a physical / mechanical reason for him still being incontinent. Since the surgeon is the expert in your husband's case and presumably knows what went wrong, I would assume that s/he knows far better than an incontinence practitioner who may simply be applying broad advice. Also, as the surgeon has explicitly stated that he should not cycle, if he ignores that advice and it goes wrong, what might the implications be in terms of a) his future continence and b) the surgeon's willingness to keep him on the books as a patient? 

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 29 May 2019 at 16:59

Hi Sarajane, Here are my thoughts although I've no experience of this. 

Many men will be incontinent for quite a while and I'm not sure why that would be a factor.

It's around 4 months since his operation and he's had problems, whatever they were.  If his stomach wounds are healed then it's likely his internal wounds will be doing well.   I'm conservative and didn't start going back to the gym for several months after the op and then took it very easy, my stomach wounds told me quite firmly when I was overdoing it.   My internal wounds didn't complain about anything.

I'd be thinking around now is time to give cycling a gentle go and to find a soft saddle.  See how it goes not straining too much.  Some people are more adventurous but there is a risk of damaging the wound and getting scar tissue which might need another op and for that reason I'd be taking it cautiously.

Edited by member 29 May 2019 at 17:09  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 29 May 2019 at 17:31
You can get “prostate friendly” bike saddles which basically have a strategically-placed cut-out to avoid any pressure on the prostate area. That may be something worth considering.

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 29 May 2019 at 20:18

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

My husband had a prostectomy in January but didn't have the catheter removed until the middle of March due to problems ..... His Consultant said he mustn't do this until his continence returns but an expert at the continence clinic has told him it's ok to cycle.  

I think it depends on the nature of the complication that led to him needing a catheter for such a long time and whether there is a physical / mechanical reason for him still being incontinent. Since the surgeon is the expert in your husband's case and presumably knows what went wrong, I would assume that s/he knows far better than an incontinence practitioner who may simply be applying broad advice. Also, as the surgeon has explicitly stated that he should not cycle, if he ignores that advice and it goes wrong, what might the implications be in terms of a) his future continence and b) the surgeon's willingness to keep him on the books as a patient? 

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 30 May 2019 at 12:10

Is anyone able to recommend a post prostate removal saddle?