I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

BUCKET - a top tip!

User
Posted 04 Jun 2019 at 17:09

I had the prostatetectomy operation recently and that is why I would like to thank all those people who suggested that the night bag for the catheter is housed in a bucket - hopefully this should also bump this tip up the list!

My brain is / was on a bit of a go slow after the operation so one day I forgot to close the exit valve from the night bag after rinsing it through in the morning.  Wasn't I glad I had followed this tip for keeping the bag in a bucket when I got up the following morning. Phew!

User
Posted 05 Jun 2019 at 06:53

S

I hope the night bag was on a stand in the bucket or supported in some way, most NHS regions say the night bag should not be lying on the floor or in the bottom of a receptacle. The manufacturers cite bags on the floor as a possible cause of catheter blockages. Just wondered why were you rinsing the night bag ? "Most" night bags are one time use and should be discarded when full or removed, some have snap off drainage taps to prevent reuse. The " one time" use bag may have something like a 2 in a circle with a line through the circle.

Hope your recovery goes well.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 05 Jun 2019 at 07:49
I was told to wash mine every day. I just hung it over a bucket and each morning showered myself and flushed the bag out at the same time then hung it in the shower ready for next night.

Cheers

Bill

User
Posted 05 Jun 2019 at 09:43

I was told to flush night bag through as well.  It hangs on the handle of the bucket ok

Was it just lying on the floor in the hospital?

Thanks for your comments and feedback.

Recovery seems ok, except that I find sitting down uncomfortable. I am also leaking down the side of the catheter which is annoying. On the other hand this must reduce the risk of the catheter becoming blocked, which is good news.  Catheter comes out tomorrow.

Wiclif

User
Posted 05 Jun 2019 at 11:30

I had one time use nightbags plus a self assembly stand for the bags.

Ido4

User
Posted 10 Jun 2019 at 12:37
The bucket is still in use. I have posted this in the hope that some may find it useful

My catheter came out Thursday 6th June. I quickly found out several things. It was still uncomfortable sitting down and I had what can only be described as significant urge continence. When I was lying down I did not appear to be leaking (much) until I attempted to get up.

Before leaving the hospital they gave me some larger pads (as well as the standard Level 2 ones) and I landed up using a Level 2 pad inside the big pad. I found that the level 2 pad held a surprising amount of liquid for its size and that the larger pad meant that I didnt have to change my underwear and trousers.

An attempt to get up just turned on the waterworks. Daytime, assuming I was lying down, that was dealt with by undoing my pants and grabbing the end of my penis and heading for the garden. (yes, I am lucky with no neighbours able to watch!) The first night, same procedure but with the bucket beside the bed.

Second night I found that I had about 10 seconds from getting out of bed before I started peeing so more under control. However, still not enough time to get to the bathroom.

Nights 3 and 4 were a repeat. I have been going to bed about 9pm. Waking for a pee at around midnight and 3am. Waking for the day at around 6am and getting up, after reading in bed, around 8am. I found that each pee was not lengthy, but I would not have been able to get back asleep again without having a pee first.

The bed, and the surrounding floor, has remained dry so far, so for the moment I am happy

Starting this morning, using just the Level 2 pad. It is more comfortable and seems to be coping