I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

1st "cancer injection"

User
Posted 06 Jun 2019 at 13:34

Hello anybody/everybody,  New member /first time on the forum, only diagnosed a week ago, my wife and I & family are still shell-shocked and feeling completely overwhelmed + still have my L plates on in my first week of daily self-catheterising.  My consultant also started me on the first week of daily hormone reduction tablets as preparation for tomorrow's 1st LHRH analogue injection which I'm to be given by a nurse at my local surgery.  A visit to a GP at the surgery yesterday didn't give me much assurance as the GP could not tell me what type of injection or the frequency of the treatments.  Has anyone else experienced the same process ?  Will the nurse know more than the GP ? Hopefully I'll get the right injection ?  Would welcome any comments/feedback please & thanks in advance

(PS. My technical specification is Gleason Grade 5 + 4 =9,  negative bone scan,  Extracapsular extension on right side, no evidence of Metastatic disease.  Radiotherapy referral in due course )                                 

User
Posted 06 Jun 2019 at 14:20

Hello drummerboy. Sorry you're here, but you will get great support from lots of people. We know it's shocking getting a cancer diagnosis, but once you've started the hormone treatment (which you already have with the tablets), it stops the cancer progressing for now, and you have plenty of time to consider your options. This isn't like some other cancers that have to be removed very quickly.

Do you know which LHRH drug you have been prescribed? There are a few different ones, with different injection frequencies. Zoladex/Goserelin is a common one. Injections are normally every 12 weeks, but sometimes the first one is just 4 weeks. I'm on Zoladex. Prostap is another which is usually every 3 months, I believe. The nurse at your GP practice will likely be doing these injections at least once a month to different patients, and GP will know less about administering them than the nurse. The arrangement for getting the injection varies between surgeries. Some keep the stock themselves, some will give you a repeat prescription to collect beforehand and bring with you. Contact the nurse beforehand to find out how it works at yours. If you have online repeat prescriptions, you could login and see if it's been added to that. If you need to get a prescription, it's likely to take at least a day, as the pharmacy is unlikely to stock it.

You will probably be on hormone therapy (HT) for 3-6 months before your radiotherapy (RT), because that makes the RT more effective. Most people stay on HT for some time afterwards, 1-3 years being typical, again because this improves outcomes. We can give you loads of help about being on HT, what side effects are and how to counteract them, which is rarely covered by your consultant when you are put on it, but I'll post this response now in case you need to arrange a prescription before tomorrow. Feel free to ask us absolutely anything.

Something that's helpful when you ask questions is to keep an updated diagnosis and treatment bio in your profile, which enables people to give you more targeted advice. Include things like your PSA level with dates as well as your 'technical specification'.

User
Posted 06 Jun 2019 at 15:02

Thanks so much Andy 62, for such a comprehensive & useful reply.  Following your advice I've just contacted my surgery and been advised that I will be having a Decapeptyl injection which they keep in stock.  Feel much better informed now re tomorrow and have our faith re-installed in the otherwise characteristically-efficient NHS treatment received thus far. (Re my profile/your suggestion : my PSA at 30/5/19 was 28.4. )  PS will also be taking up your kind offer of further info re RT & side effects guidance but one step at a time at the moment !

User
Posted 11 Jul 2019 at 21:21

Hi Drummerboy, whilst my treatment has not been the same as yours, I just thought I would contact you to say trust in your consultant unfortunately they have a great deal of experience in dealing with Prostate Cancer.

Myself and two brothers diagnosed at various points through 2018, all 3 receiving treatment myself and younger brother opted for surgery, the elder brother opting for Brachytherapy, all doing well.

Be positive and remain Strong๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

User
Posted 11 Jul 2019 at 23:09

Drummerboy and anyone else on HT,

The medics that run the Mount Vernon Prostate cancer support group have asked me to lead their meeting next week, Wed 17th July, 11am-1pm. If you are anywhere near Northwood (M25 J17/J18), you might be interested. I intend to talk about hormone therapy side effects and how some can be avoided. It's very informal - no projector - no slides!