I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Counselling

User
Posted 07 Jun 2019 at 06:31

i am finding it very difficult dealing with the rapid deterioration of my situation and feel that counselling might help. 

Does anyone know if there are people who can help, particularly telephone counselling as I am based in France

User
Posted 07 Jun 2019 at 14:44

Hi

You can find accredited counsellors by looking on the BAC or BACP websites. These are usually counsellors who charge for sessions.  I will check up on it myself too to see if they have counsellors in France.

User
Posted 07 Jun 2019 at 14:51
Have you tried mindfulness Barry. I think there is plenty on you tube. It has proven success.

Bri

User
Posted 07 Jun 2019 at 15:00

Hi again

Just checked Internet for France. Have a look at www.life-counselling.co.uk - the counsellor is simoncole@btInternet.com 

I have no idea of his ability but may be worth a chat and may know someone close. Another site is www.counselling france. com.

I hope this is helpful - important to find someone who you feel comfortable with. There are person centred counsellors who help you to explore your feelings and cognitive behavioural counsellors who may look more at your thoughts and help you to deal with them in a different way.

I hope someone can advise you and perhaps offer telephone counselling. There may even be some online help.

I agree that mindfulness is helpful top. 

Gilly

Edited by member 07 Jun 2019 at 15:02  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 07 Jun 2019 at 15:12
There is an app called Headspace that is immensely popular Bazza. Sending you strength. I’ve had a weekly councillor for months now. Puts my head in a better space.
User
Posted 07 Jun 2019 at 15:50

Bazza,

Check for any local PCa (or any Cancer) support group meetups. I've been to several in the UK now (trying them out, didn't think they would be my thing at all, but was 100% wrong). All of them have connections with local counselling - that's the most commonly used service.

They will likely also have contacts for things like mindfulness as Bri mentioned, massage specifically for cancer patients, acupuncture, aromatherapy, and other relaxation therapies for cancer patients.

There may be something similar in France, although I've no idea how your French is. Even if it's not good enough to follow their regular sessions, you can probably manage to get the information on the services above from them.

For telephone service, I guess the PCUK nurses may be able to help directly (again, most of their calls relate to emotional issues), and if not, they are very likely to know where you can go for help at least for UK contacts, and maybe you can find one that will work over the phone or skype.

Maybe those of you with counsellers might ask them if they would do skype sessions for an Englishman abroad?

Wishing you all the best Bazza,
Andy.

Edited by member 07 Jun 2019 at 15:59  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 07 Jun 2019 at 16:01

Counselling service for English speakers in France - includes face to face and telephone

http://www.counsellinginfrance.com/

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 07 Jun 2019 at 16:53
Macmillan offer free telephone counselling sessions. I found them immensely useful when I was initially diagnosed with cancer and was in a pretty bad place emotionally. Might be worth contacting them?

User
Posted 07 Jun 2019 at 17:59
As ChrisJ says the Headspace meditation app is popular. I have been using it for around two years now. There is a course (or pack as they like to call them) on there called Coping With Cancer. It won’t work miracles but may help give you some easier moments throughout the day.

All the best

Dave