I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Be prepared !!!

User
Posted 08 Jun 2019 at 20:14

Hi   I had my prostate removed  six weeks ago, the surgery went well and nine days later the catheter was removed,that was no problem just a few seconds of a tickling sensation..... i had been told to bring a few pads as i might have some leakage . . . i had no control just a constant trickle like a slowly dripping tap , i was told it will get better just keep using the pads . . .our journey home took about 30 minutes. . .the large pad was soaked as was my trousers and the towel i was sitting on . . .not liking the thought of sleeping in a puddle or trying to sleep sitting on the toilet . . . we searched the local shops for a suitable bottle we found a small innocent drink bottle ,as i'm a DIY person i  managed to fit a pipe into the cap,cut the bottom off and strapped it to my leg and connected the pipe to the leg bag . . . i spent the first night with one leg in the bed and one out. . .the next day the very helpful local nurse managed to find some conveens which are like condom with a pipe coming out . . .these didn't work to well as the end of my penis was quite swollen but i got them to work by winding on lots of surgical tape . . . we looked on ebay for external catheters and found lots from chinese companies that just go over the penis and strap round the waist  for about £5 each, we got one from a uk site for about £10 and i'm really pleased they are so much better than pads ,If you are having surgery i would get one of these in good time  just in case 

35 EACH

Edited by moderator 08 Jun 2019 at 21:57  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 08 Jun 2019 at 22:54

Fenboy

I am guessing you are talking about a much cheaper copy of the Afex Active product, have the moderators deleted some info ?. I did try the Afex version with limited success. 

I trust you are still doing your exercises etc in an attempt to regain your continence. 

Some urologists think the sheath systems make you lazy, I found it gave me confidence and allowed me to carry on a normal  life.

Can you stop yourself urinating mid stream or at any point. More for a few weeks in the future, if you carry on continually dribbling ask for a urodynamics test, all the exercises will not help if your mechanical bits do not work.

It is still early days, best wishes for your future recovery.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 09 Jun 2019 at 19:04

Hi thank you chris for your reply . . yes i looked up Afex Active and these are a cheap version as you say , they are good as you have leg bag down on your calf

Yes i can stop and start and have nearly regained control at night and as you say these bags mean i can lead a near normal life . . .  and i'm doing the exercises about 5 times a day

User
Posted 11 Jun 2019 at 09:53
I apologise for a bit of a rant.

I can relate only my own experience. Without using the Conveen system, I would have had to opt for early retirement because I had no control at all during the day. As for the Conveen making me lazy, it was while using it that my sphincter recovered (very suddenly) to a point where I had about 20 minutes of grace before losing control. Unfortunately, as can be seen from my bio, there was no further progress. The Conveen components are available on prescription and so (in Wales anyway) are free of charge.

If anyone wishes to say that I was not doing PFEs properly, they will get a very dusty answer. They were absolutely no use at all. The verdict from a physiotherapist was that I was doing everything correctly and my pelvic floor was in good condition.

I just wish that medical advice about post-prostatectomy incontinence would veer away from blanket statements like "Conveen makes you lazy", "you're not doing PFEs correctly" and so on. My personal feeling, for what it is worth, is that if continence is going to come back in a reasonable time, then it will. Great. If it takes a little longer, persevere and all will be well, and there are several routes to mitigate the symptoms in the meantime. If continence does not come back, it is not the end of the world and there are solutions that make a return very close to normal life a possibility. The urinary system is pretty complicated and taking away a large part of it is bound to cause disruption. Consequently, I think it is hardly surprising that post prostatectomy experiences are so varied.

It is wrong to push the blame for lack of recovery from incontinence back onto men who have been through a fairly traumatic time and probably will try to move mountains to get back to as normal a life as possible.

Tony

TURP then LRP in 2009/2010. Lots of leakage but PSA < 0.1 AMS-800 Artificial Sphincter activated 2015.

User
Posted 11 Jun 2019 at 12:13
If you are diagnosed with PCa in England you get free prescriptions whatever your age.

Cheers, John.

User
Posted 13 Jun 2019 at 22:33
just to add these external catheters have been a great help to me i have just about got control back at night ,but day time is still a way off and by using these i can pretty much do as i did before... i use the ones that you wear direct and then wear boxer shorts on top which helps to hold them in place ... there is another type which is built direct into boxer shorts but i didn't get on so well with those
User
Posted 19 Jul 2019 at 21:40
A bit of an update

it's 10 weeks since the operation ...night time is ok now and the day time is gradually starting to return, its easiest to control whilst sitting down, still a lot of leakage when walking though.....i've not as yet used any pads , as i prefer the external catheters and a leg bag