Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

TURP or removal of prostate

User
Posted 10 Jun 2019 at 13:06

Hi

I have been a member of this group since I was diagnosed with low-grade confined PC back in 2005. I have been on active surveillance all that time with no apparent progression. (It is so long since I posted that I lost my log-in details and have had to re-register)

I suffered sudden urinary retention in 2012 and then again a couple of weeks ago. I have so far avoided any surgery but it is now suggested that I should have a TURP or Holmium Laser treatment to alleviate the symptoms of my enlarged prostate as there is a high risk of recurrence.

I have two questions; is there a risk of either of these treatment allowing the cancer to spread and if so, would I be better off removing the prostate completely?

If anyone has been in this position I would welcome your thoughts.

David 

User
Posted 10 Jun 2019 at 13:37
My friend has had green laser treatment for his hyperplasia (non cancerous) and reports good results with continence and erectile function after an overnight hospital stay. He is seventy.

Your cancer is clearly a pussycat rather than a tiger, and I would go with what you have been advised, and leave prostatectomy as a last resort.

Best of luck.

Cheers, John.

User
Posted 30 Jun 2019 at 19:47

I had the prostate removal operation just over a month ago.  I had been having my PSA level kept under review since before 2010.

in 2015, I think it was, I was almost totally unable to pee, and the consultant recommended the TURP operation, which was satisfactory and cured my problem. Presumably there was no trace of cancer at the time as it was not mentioned.

then this year tests suggested I needed to take action, hence my recent operation, which I chose over the radiotherapy and hormone treatment route. I was advised that the prostatectomy was more tricky because of the earlier TURP operation.  

I regard the prostate operation as significantly more serious than the TURP one.  I have significant continence issues at present, and it is early days to see how quickly or if it clears up. 

Consequently, I would suggest the TURP operation now, and see how you get on, due to the more serious side effects of the prostatectomy.

it might be an idea to start the pelvic floor exercises?, but that is something to discuss with your urologist.

User
Posted 02 Jul 2019 at 14:44

My TURP was a relatively minor (conventional, not laser) operation, and the outcome was pretty good. Afterwards I had the flow rate of a teenager and total continence. The analysis of the prostate material removed with the TURP can confirm your PCa diagnosis (as it did in my case, unfortunately), but when I last read about the laser route, this was not possible - the situation may have changed here, so check.

Removal of the prostate is a whole different ball game - a much more serious operation.

Edited by member 02 Jul 2019 at 14:47  | Reason: Not specified

Tony

TURP then LRP in 2009/2010. Lots of leakage but PSA < 0.1 AMS-800 Artificial Sphincter activated 2015.

User
Posted 02 Jul 2019 at 15:27

Thanks for all your helpful comments - I have a meeting with a consultant at Addenbrookes tomorrow and all this extra information is very useful.

David