I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Add-Asprin Clinical Trial

User
Posted 12 Jun 2019 at 08:54

Great news yesterday at my 8 week post RARP meeting with surgeon.  PSA <0.1, Gleason confirmed as 4:3, T3a.  No issues at all and surgeon really happy with everything and on 3 monthly appointments going forward, so fingers crossed for the future.

Have been asked to join the Add-Asprin clinical trial......does anyone have experience of this trial?

Cheers

Steven

User
Posted 12 Jun 2019 at 17:44
I would sooner take a junior Aspirin (75mg) every day, which I do anyway, for potential heart problems.

Much rather than join a double-blind trial, where I might be given a sugar-pill placebo, only to find out after my demise that Aspirin was a success!

Cheers, John.

User
Posted 12 Jun 2019 at 18:11

Hi John,

Great response thanks, and love your sense of humour.  Just want to be of use to the wider prostate cancer world and if the trial can help someone in the future I would feel I have helped or played a minor role in some way.

The aspirin trial is the only trial offered to me so feel I should respond positively to the request to get involved.

Keep up the great sense of humour.  

Kind regards

Steven

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 12 Jun 2019 at 11:28

Hi Steven, my OH is on the trial. He was diagnosed April 18 & had RP May 18, results Gleason 3+4, T3a, undetectable PSA so far. Joined Add Aspirin trial Aug 18. Takes trial pill & Lansoprazole every day, no side effects, blood tests including PSA - not super sensitive every 3 months. Good luck. 

Edited by member 12 Jun 2019 at 16:20  | Reason: Not specified

Abigail

User
Posted 12 Jun 2019 at 17:44
I would sooner take a junior Aspirin (75mg) every day, which I do anyway, for potential heart problems.

Much rather than join a double-blind trial, where I might be given a sugar-pill placebo, only to find out after my demise that Aspirin was a success!

Cheers, John.

User
Posted 12 Jun 2019 at 18:11

Hi John,

Great response thanks, and love your sense of humour.  Just want to be of use to the wider prostate cancer world and if the trial can help someone in the future I would feel I have helped or played a minor role in some way.

The aspirin trial is the only trial offered to me so feel I should respond positively to the request to get involved.

Keep up the great sense of humour.  

Kind regards

Steven

User
Posted 12 Jun 2019 at 18:19

Hi Steven you live in our neck of the woods so maybe same hospital/ surgeon. Husband too was asked about the trial at his post op appointment but we declined as you do not know whether you are receiving the aspirin or not.

I remember reading about an American trial where they reckoned those taking the aspirin had a 17% less chance of recurrence so husband decided to take 150mg anyway. Any improvement in one's odds can only be a good thing and can't do any harm at that amount even if it's only acting as a placebo.

Regards

Ann

Edited by member 12 Jun 2019 at 18:26  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 12 Jun 2019 at 18:29

Hi Ann

I like your quick thinking on the daily aspirin.

Yes, had all appointments etc in Northampton and surgery in Leicester as no surgery offered in Northampton.

On a general note, my care on the NHS has in the main been first class.  I have had private health care through work all my life and at no point in the private 'world' did anyone say to me have a PSA test!!

Hope to meet you and your OH one day at a local Pca gathering.

cheers,  Steven

User
Posted 12 Jun 2019 at 19:29
Hello

Following my RARP in Jan 17, I heard about the aspirin trial, though wasn't offered a place. I guess it wasn't a thing for my hospital. I took it on myself to take 75mg daily, which may or may not be having an effect. Still, a PSA of 0.004 two and a half years on is acceptable, regardless of whether the aspirin is a contributory factor. I'm not intending on stopping the aspirin any time soon!

User
Posted 12 Jun 2019 at 20:00

Hi Steven.   Not allowed to name consultants but Tony had the Triathlete. He is a great guy. So down to earth but knows his stuff. He even phoned me up immediately after the op to let me know how it went and Tony ok.  I think Leicester only have two doing prostatectomies at the moment. Consultant has been great and we will actually be sad to say goodbye in November ( hopefully) if Tony's PSA still undetectable two years after the op.

He will be discharged back to Kettering ( least said the better )

Yes we have never went to any of the local Pcs groups but never say never. A meet up would be good.

Best Regards

Ann

User
Posted 13 Jun 2019 at 06:07

Been on Small Asprin 75 for twenty years 
Cancer treatment 2011 , recurrence 2017 , back on hormones after six early Chemo, sessions ,psa still0.004
Barry

User
Posted 13 Jun 2019 at 11:11
The way aspirin is supposed to help is by preventing metastases, I don't believe it stop cancer forming in the first place.

It is supposed to help by making cells less sticky which allows the bodies immune system time to destroy them while they are circulating in the blood.

User
Posted 13 Jun 2019 at 21:09

Is this just a low dose aspirin taken alone, or as well as a trial drug?  Mr L takes Lansoperzole for reflux, would this be safe for him to take?  I just think I'll give him anything to prevent the cancer coming back.

User
Posted 13 Jun 2019 at 23:24

Ask his GP if 75mg Enteric coated asprin would be OK, or if it's contra-indicated by any other of his drugs or conditions. GP might say it should be taken with stomach protection such as omeprazole, in which case it will need to be prescribed.