I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Something of interest for African American men with mCRPC

User
Posted 20 Jun 2019 at 12:44

https://www.cancernetwork.com/prostate-cancer/largest-race-based-survival-advantage-date-seen-men-receiving-sipuleucel-t-mcrpc?rememberme=1&elq_mid=7358&elq_cid=24057&GUID=F6CF700C-21B6-496F-A435-0CC0D766D17E

Edited by moderator 12 Jul 2023 at 08:58  | Reason: Not specified

Roger
User
Posted 20 Jun 2019 at 14:54

I'll use this thread to repeat something I mentioned in the Tackle 2019 Conference thread, which is of relevance to black men (twice the incidence of PCa), or in this case, their boys. Professor Tim Oliver presented some findings of his own on causes of PCa, and some causes can be traced back to puberty. One in particular is a lack of Vitamin D during puberty, caused mainly by lack of playing outdoors. However, there's another cause of lack of Vitamin D, and that's having much darker colour skin in a non-equatorial climate, because the Vitamin D generated in sunlight will be far too low even if they do play outdoors. I raised this with Tim Oliver after his talk, asking if it might be why black men have twice the incidence of PCa. The answer is that no one knows, but it's a plausible hypothesis - I'm not the first person to suggest the connection.

So if you are the parent of black boys going through puberty in a non-equatorial climate like the UK, you might want to ensure they are not deficient in Vitamin D.

[and if you are the parent of white boys going through puberty in the UK, make sure they play outside in the sun.]

Edited by member 20 Jun 2019 at 14:57  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 20 Jun 2019 at 16:32
Interesting thoughts and certainly something that should be further considered. The amount of sunshine can vary considerably in the UK. Although a lovely place to visit, Scotland generally sees a lot less sun than for example the south of England and particularly the Isle of wight. It should therefore follow that people in Scotland are more subject to lack of vitamin D and possibly greater incidence of PCa. Indeed, it has doubtless changed in more recent years but there was a time when in some areas such as in parts of Glasgow there were a greater number of cases of Rickets caused by lack of vitamin D, probably due largely to poor diet stemming from penury as well as from lack of sunshine.
Barry
User
Posted 20 Jun 2019 at 16:38
I read somewhere once, that lack of regular ejaculation could be a cause of PCa. Don’t know if it’s true.

I still contracted it...😉

Cheers, John.

User
Posted 20 Jun 2019 at 17:01

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

I'll use this thread to repeat something I mentioned in the Tackle 2019 Conference thread, which is of relevance to black men (twice the incidence of PCa), or in this case, their boys. Professor Tim Oliver presented some findings of his own on causes of PCa, and some causes can be traced back to puberty. One in particular is a lack of Vitamin D during puberty, caused mainly by lack of playing outdoors. However, there's another cause of lack of Vitamin D, and that's having much darker colour skin in a non-equatorial climate, because the Vitamin D generated in sunlight will be far too low even if they do play outdoors. I raised this with Tim Oliver after his talk, asking if it might be why black men have twice the incidence of PCa. The answer is that no one knows, but it's a plausible hypothesis - I'm not the first person to suggest the connection.

Can that not be determined by comparing the incidence of PCa in hot countries with predominantly dark-skinned populations against the incidence in dark-skinned people in the UK?

Regards,

Chris

Edited by member 20 Jun 2019 at 17:02  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 20 Jun 2019 at 17:11

Can that not be determined by comparing the incidence of PCa in hot countries with predominantly dark-skinned populations against the incidence in dark-skinned people in the UK?

I didn't have time to go into detail with Tim Oliver, and it was only something that occurred to me as he was presenting his findings (his presentation was about play, not about black boys in non-equatorial countries), but I think he sees that correlation. Another correlation I think he said he saw was that dark-skinned populations in equatorial countries show the same pattern with respect to playing outside in the sun during puberty - in dense urban areas where that's not really possible, PCa is higher than in rural areas where it's the norm. He only has limited data for a few areas though.

There is no detailed research going on into this - sadly, it's probably too racially sensitive to attract funding. The research as far as there is any is looking for a genetic difference to account for it.

User
Posted 20 Jun 2019 at 17:18

I read somewhere once, that lack of regular ejaculation could be a cause of PCa. Don’t know if it’s true. I still contracted it...😉

10 or more years ago, I recall a theory being that:

Frequent ejaculation as an adult reduces the chance of PCa, probably by keeping the organ flushed out. (Like you say, didn't work for me either;-)

Frequent ejaculation during puberty may be a sign of higher testosterone level, which may be an enhanced risk for PCa (although stopping ejaculations in this case will make no difference, as it's the testosterone level rather than the ejaculations that raise the chance of PCa). This one might have done it for me!

I'm not sure these still have any credence today.

User
Posted 21 Jun 2019 at 02:12

Since we have deviated somewhat from the original post, I mention an aspect that I raised years ago when a former GP was a member of this forum. It concerned Prostate massage and Practitioners who undertook it but said doctor did not believe in it. Anyway, there appears to be some revived interest in this procedure with some saying it can help excrete old fluid and help prevent PCa whilst others say the procedure can help with ED etc by unblocking tubes. Here is a link and there is a lot more to be found on Google. I would have thought most young men achieve this in a more pleasurable way but here you go https://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/the-benefits-of-prostate-massages-20150915-gjmla6.html

Edited by member 21 Jun 2019 at 02:40  | Reason: to highlight link

Barry