I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

mpMRI and repeat biopsy

User
Posted 26 Jun 2019 at 10:58

Hi there. Been monitoring my PSA for over a year now, currently at 3.97 aged 47 (3.65 a year ago). Clear initial mri and then had biopsy back in September, which revealed 1 suspicious but not diagnostic sample, and was recommended to repeat the biopsy within 6 months , as it was 60% likely to reveal low grade cancer according to consultant. (report mentioned atypical cells) Had mpMRI last week which has come back as pirad2, with 'no focal abnormality to consider for targeted biopsy' and findings  'estimated prostate right 22mL with PSA density 0.18%.' From what i've read pirads2 doesnt require any immediate action, but this goes against what the consultant was advising.  Just a little confused about the next move! Thank you, Stuart

User
Posted 26 Jun 2019 at 23:11

PIRADS 2 means clinically significant cancer is unlikely to be present. It's also the radiologist's best estimate of the Gleason score if a biopsy is performed. Gleason 2 is too low to be classed as cancer.

PIRADS 2 would not by itself call for a biopsy, but the consultant will factor in other diagnostic results they have, and things like rate of increase in PSA, family history of PCa and breast cancer, etc.