Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

First Chemo yesterday at Reiver House Carlisle

User
Posted 28 Jun 2019 at 15:24

Well my first post on here and it was my first chemo session yesterday as well

A bit of background I went to my GP one morning in Feb. with severe abdominal pains which turned out to be a virus of some description however luckily she took a blood sample and rang me in the afternoon to say she was setting up an appointment with the local hospital (Cumberland Infirmary) as my PSA was high at 23.46. The following day I had a prostrate exam at the GP which he said It appeared I had prostrate symptoms. Within 2 weeks I had an appointment with the Urology Dept. at which he set up MRI & Bone Scan appointments and also attempted to get my Biopsy done there and then but I had to come back the following day, I also started on the Hormone tablets.

Within 1 week I had the MRI & Bone Scan appointments set for the following week which at the same time I had my first 3 monthly Hormone Implant. We went back to the Urologist within a fortnight when all the test results were in

the Bone Scan came back clear which was a relief

the MRI came back showing 5 lesions

the Biopsy came back with a Gleason score of Left 4+5 =9 & Right of 3+4 = 7

So it was confirmed I had Advanced Localised PC

Chemo was set up after a further appointment at the Chemo clinic and I was due start Chemo 13/06/19 but my bloods weren't right however the result of my PSA test I had done at my GP's prior showed it had come down from 23.16 to 0.12.

Anyway bloods have been sorted and I had my first Chemo of Docetaxel (250ml) yesterday which went well. I can't over compliment the nurses and staff at Cumberland Infirmary Reiver House who were great and also I don't know if it happens elsewhere but the local ARBONNE consultant leaves a present for the first timers with a few handy body care items (Thanks very much)

So woke I up this morning (which is always a bonus) with no affects of the Chemo yet, but had a slight hangover due the chillaxing effect of a couple of Jim Beans and Dave Gilmour on Youtube after the events of yesterday.

What is annoying though is that there isn't a screening service like there is with Aneurysm's (which found out I had a medium one so that looked at with 3 monthly scans), also I found out that PC is hereditary and as my father died at aged 64 with it I thought that might have rung a few bells if we had been told, any way

Good luck to all on here going thru the same

Just remember s*** happens but don't let it beat you

Stay strong

User
Posted 29 Jun 2019 at 05:17
I don’t see from your info that you were advanced and not given a surgery route. Did they give you a T score?
User
Posted 30 Jun 2019 at 08:11
Info given by the hospital and entered into my log book by them states Locally Advanced but no T score, or surgery route can only report on what info I've been given