I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Catheterization advice please

User
Posted 05 Jul 2019 at 10:02

Hello all, I was diagnosed  with  PCa three weeks ago, in fact by accident!  I have MS and was having bladder problems and one thing led to another and here I am with two lots of agrro. I already intermittent  self catheterise because of 5he MS, but in the  last couple of weeks I have started to have a lot of leakage when the catheter is in, never had this before. I don't know if this is MS or cancer,  so I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if so what, if anything can be done. I am due to go back to the urologist in three weeks time,(for my bladder) but is this something I should deal with soon? Any advice would be very welcome. Many Thanks gorry

User
Posted 05 Jul 2019 at 12:58

Gorry

Do you mean you are leaking past your self cath catheters, or do you have a urethral in dwelling catheter in.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 05 Jul 2019 at 13:36
Hi, I seem to be leaking around the tube of the disposable catheter, so only a little urine is coming out from the tube itself the rest from outside the tube. This has all started since I had a camera into my bladder as it was thought there might be cancer in the bladder. Given the examination was quite painful could the tube carrying the camera into my bladder have done some damage I wonder? Meanwhile, I am having to self catheterise up to 12 to 15 times a day right now. I'm told I have to have a urinary dynamics test and then maybe botox into the bladder, this due to the MS and not the cancer... I think !
User
Posted 05 Jul 2019 at 15:09

Gorry

The camera is no doubt bigger thant the catheters you are using. It is quite possible that the bladder neck or sphincter has been slightly stretched and causing the urine to come past the catheter. If you are not getting the catheter in the right place urine will come past the catheter rather than into the holes near the tip. 12 to 15 times a day seems a lot, are you doing when you feel the urge to urinate or at set times.  I have had Botox to the bladder and it was a real success. 

Thanks Chris

Edited by member 05 Jul 2019 at 17:04  | Reason: Grammar

User
Posted 05 Jul 2019 at 16:44

Hi Chris (?)  Many thanks for your reply, I was interested when you mentioned you had Botox  treatment  and it was "a real success " I have been told pretty awful  stories about the treatment and living with the botox, for example, I understand it is a painful procedure,  it only lasts 6 months and it takes forever to empty your bladder. I  wonder what you make of these tales of woe? All the best gorry

User
Posted 05 Jul 2019 at 16:48

Sorry, PS! I forgot to say I use disposable catheters  and go "on demand", cheers gorry

User
Posted 06 Jul 2019 at 09:03

Counter intuitively, the catheter may be too large. Rather than filling the gap, a too-large one can distort the urethra, leading to leakage.

User
Posted 06 Jul 2019 at 13:24
Thanks Andrew, I am seeing a medic on Tuesday, I will see what he says.

there nothing in life that's easy? gorry

User
Posted 06 Jul 2019 at 20:30

Gorry

My choice to have Botox was a bit of no brainer, my bladder capacity has shrunk to around 50mm and bladder removal was one of the other options. As with any treatment there will be numerous outcomes. Yes I have heard of people saying they have had a bad experience, with Botox. My first treatment was in January and my next treatment will be in the next Month or so. It is hard to say if it wearing off or I am doing to much helping out with a house renovation. I have gone from 30/40 spasms a day to half a dozen on  a bad day and none on a good day.

Assuming an average fluid intake of 2-3 litres, am I right in thinking your out put is only around 100-150 ml a time. 

Hopefully your appointment next week may give you some answers.

Thanks Chris.

User
Posted 09 Jul 2019 at 16:36
Hi Chris, many thanks for the detailed reply regarding your botox experience. To be honest, I came to a sort of prostate overload full stop.wa. Within 9 days, I had been diagnosed, scanned, X rayed, bloodiedr, MRI deafened poked, fingered and had a bucket of advice! Hence my slow response back to you. I am seeing the urologist in a couple of weeks time for a urine dynamics test (what ever that is)and another PSA test, after that I will, perhaps have a clearer picture of what is going on ? One of the issues I have is the more i focus on stressful issues (like prostrate cancer maybe?) the more the multiple sclerosis kicks off, so I am going to try and ration stress and agrro just a little. When the medics have a clearer picture and pass the information onto me in a form I can understand I will be sending a red flare for help and advice. But I really appreciate the help and support of this forum. Thank you all