Show search

Notification

Error

Holiday insurance with wait and observe diagnosis

User
Posted 06 Jul 2019 at 18:26

I took world wide insurance last year at a cost of £800 for 2 weeks 

I shopped around but the premium went sky high because of disclosure of PC

i have 6 monthly blood checks PSA LEVEL UNDER 3 however none of the questions addressed this

anyone with suggestions please

User
Posted 06 Jul 2019 at 18:56
I'm with AXA through my bank, you can get a quote on line.

I phoned to make sure I had declared everything I needed to and when I said PCA I could choose to have cover that included it or not. It was a couple of years ago and to include PCA was about £15 per year extra for Euroean cover. The extra will very depending on what stage your Pca is at.

Cheers

Bill

User
Posted 06 Jul 2019 at 19:13
Boots travel insurance. I pay around £70 per fortnights holiday. I’m locally advanced on 6 month tests and scans. My psa is over 100!
User
Posted 06 Jul 2019 at 22:43

I’ve used Holidaysafe in the past, Insurancewith is connected with them.  This year, however, I used Saga via Moneysupermarket who oddly enough gave a better price against going to Saga direct (£45 against £100+) for myself and my wife.

Arthur 

User
Posted 07 Jul 2019 at 01:22
We have ‘free’ annual worldwide travel cover through a Nationwide Flex Account Plus bank account. I haven’t mentioned prostate cancer to them yet, as I no longer have cancer - PSA undetectable - (although I will before I go to America in a couple of months).

Others here with Nationwide were given the option of no extra premium if claims relating to PCa were excluded, or a nominal extra charge (under a hundred quid) to include it.

As someone else said, it all depends on the staging of your cancer.

Cheers, John.

User
Posted 07 Jul 2019 at 08:34

I used Puffin Travel Insurance, cost us £43 for 2 weeks cover to Turkey, thats with disclosure of previous Heart issues and PCa.

Royston

Onwards & upwards

User
Posted 07 Jul 2019 at 10:08

If you have cancer, you have cancer, and even evil insurance companies are entitled to take this into account!

You've been grossly overpaying, but that's the nature of insurance companies, too.

Many banks offer free policies to their customers, with added fees for medical history. I'm with Nationwide, and pay £140 per year for worldwide travel cover, and that's for hypertension as well as cancer.

Check with your bank, and failing that, shop around. Insurance companies almost invariably halve their quotes if you say "thanks, I've got a couple more companies to ring, then I'll get back to you".

I'm not saying they are  a bunch of cowboys, even though they are. I'm much too polite.

Edited by member 07 Jul 2019 at 10:09  | Reason: typos

User
Posted 08 Jul 2019 at 14:50

Thanks everyone for your responses - as an ex insurance broker I did shop around however few companies actually asked more in depth questions. Like a lot of you I did have insurance through my bank accounts but the ceased at age 70+

I think for my next holiday I will try to talk to a real person rather than use online

User
Posted 08 Jul 2019 at 16:26

I have used Holidaysafe, Staysure and Allclear. I declare PCa and hypertension. I usually pay about £25 for one week's European cover. I am not currently receiving any PCa treatment which might help to keep the premium down.

User
Posted 09 Jul 2019 at 10:12

At the kind of prices you've been quoted, I'd consider not getting insurance at all, and taking a gamble ... mind you, within the EU, your EHIC card should get you through, at least until October!

Edited by member 11 Jul 2019 at 09:05  | Reason: typo.