I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Confusing consultants

User
Posted 06 Jul 2019 at 20:53

My father was diagnosed with Advanced Prostate Cancer in Jan 2018, Gleason Score 5+5 with spread to local lymph nodes and bones.  He was started on hormone therapy and 6 cycles of docetaxel which finished in July 2018.  Since May this year my father's urinary symptoms have returned and his PSA has been steadily rising.  My father also has liver cirrhosis and had a bad reaction to one of the hormone therapies (Bicalutamide) so his future treatment options are quite limited (we are debating whether to start on Enzalutamide).

At the moment he is really struggling with urinary retention and inability to pass urine during the day with lots of waking in the night to pass small amounts.  We have discussed this with the oncologist as being our main concern, and the oncologist has repeatedly referred us back to the urologist to see what our medical/surgical options are.  The urologist has got my father to do various flow tests but is seeming unwilling to act on any results (even though they showed urinary retention), and is insisting on further tests to do with his bladder? My father is already on Tamsulosin and Cyproterone Acetate to help with urine flow.  In my mind given he seems very close to complete blockage, I would think he would be a candidate for either a TURP procedure or in need of a catheter.  I feel that we may need a second opinion. 

Just wondering if anyone else has been in a similar position and may be able to shed some light on our situation? 

User
Posted 06 Jul 2019 at 21:01
Or maybe even radiotherapy?
User
Posted 06 Jul 2019 at 22:27

I had retention and had a catheter from December 2012 to June 2013 when I had a TURP procedure.  I was due radiotherapy but they couldn’t do it until I had the catheter removed.  After the TURP it was ok, I was in hospital from Friday to Monday and I started radiotherapy in the September 

Hope this helps.

Arthur

User
Posted 09 Jul 2019 at 21:38

Thank you for sharing your experience Arthur.  After speaking with another urologist, my father is going to have a catheter placed while we await the results of further tests.  Hopefully that will allow him to get a bit of sleep!

User
Posted 12 Jul 2019 at 10:07

Hi

I’m sorry I’ve only just see this. My husband had this and it was allowed to go so far that he nearly died of kidney failure. Even when he was in full retention he had to wait 26 hours before they did a supra pubic catheter (SPC, his urinary pathway was completely blocked by the tumour and a stricture). It was horrendous, that was on NYE in 2015. This was after numerous attempts to insert a urinary catheter past the blockage, it still makes me feel sick now as after eight attempts and bigger and bigger catheters the blood and pain were horrific. He still has the SPC. They tried RT, it didn’t work and only led to bowel problems. They tried a TURP, that didn’t work. The urologist then did an operation to reroute the ureters from the base of the bladder to the top, it didn’t change anything either but he did say it was a catastrophe in there! His ureters were blown up like balloons and his kidneys in a dire state. So, we are left with a lifelong catheter, but we are used to it and it’s  a lot better than retention!

sounds like you are sorted now but this can be a horrendous problem for some men. 

Love Devonmaid