I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Just found out my dads been through tests

User
Posted 08 Jul 2019 at 20:59

My dad's just rung with the news that he has been going through various tests for prostate cancer.  He has had 2 blood tests showing an increase in PSA inbetween the 2 . He has an enlarged and hardened prostate . He has had biopsy today where they took 8 cores and has a bone scan tomorrow.  His PSA level is 30 I think he said but I am a bit all over the place . He is 78 . 

Any information anyone can offer would be appreciated 

User
Posted 09 Jul 2019 at 02:29

He may or may not have cancer, but the best thing you can do right now is to order or download the ‘Toolkit’ comprehensive information folder from this charity, Prostate Cancer UK.

Best of luck to you both.

Cheers, John.

https://prostatecanceruk.org/prostate-information/our-publications/publications/tool-kit

Edited by member 09 Jul 2019 at 02:30  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 09 Jul 2019 at 12:20

Biopsies and scans usually take 3 weeks to report back to you (some places may be faster). Prostate Cancer (PCa) is usually not fast moving, so this doesn't matter medically, but is obviously a worry while you wait. I took the time to find out more about it, and like John said, the toolkit is a great start.

In the Profile Bio section, it's useful to list all the test results and give dates, such as PSA tests with dates (the time between tests is important info, as well as the values), and biopsy results and bone scan results. He probably had an MRI scan before the biopsy - if you have the result from that (often gives cancer location in prostate and PIRADS value, and if any sign of cancer outside the prostate), give that too. Did he have any symptoms which lead to having the PSA test in the first place? This all helps us to help answer your questions.

You will get great support from this forum, but you are early stages in diagnosis at the moment, so there's not much more we can say until you know more, but do come back with any questions.

User
Posted 22 Jul 2019 at 19:18

A TURP is to make it easier to pee, if his urine flow rate is low. (Also, it will probably get slower during the radiotherapy, so fixing that first will help later.)

6 weeks of radiotherapy is a common dose. They will usually want him to be on hormone therapy for 3-6 months before the radiotherapy (it makes the radiotherapy work better), and the hormone therapy usually runs for 18-36 months in total. I think they need a reasonable gap between the TURP and the radiotherapy too, to make sure it's fully healed first.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 09 Jul 2019 at 02:29

He may or may not have cancer, but the best thing you can do right now is to order or download the ‘Toolkit’ comprehensive information folder from this charity, Prostate Cancer UK.

Best of luck to you both.

Cheers, John.

https://prostatecanceruk.org/prostate-information/our-publications/publications/tool-kit

Edited by member 09 Jul 2019 at 02:30  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 09 Jul 2019 at 12:20

Biopsies and scans usually take 3 weeks to report back to you (some places may be faster). Prostate Cancer (PCa) is usually not fast moving, so this doesn't matter medically, but is obviously a worry while you wait. I took the time to find out more about it, and like John said, the toolkit is a great start.

In the Profile Bio section, it's useful to list all the test results and give dates, such as PSA tests with dates (the time between tests is important info, as well as the values), and biopsy results and bone scan results. He probably had an MRI scan before the biopsy - if you have the result from that (often gives cancer location in prostate and PIRADS value, and if any sign of cancer outside the prostate), give that too. Did he have any symptoms which lead to having the PSA test in the first place? This all helps us to help answer your questions.

You will get great support from this forum, but you are early stages in diagnosis at the moment, so there's not much more we can say until you know more, but do come back with any questions.

User
Posted 22 Jul 2019 at 16:53

I have had updates on his results. 26th June he had had a letter after DRE of malignant T2c . His biopsy 2 weeks ago have given a Gleason score of 8 .

He is starting hormone tablets today and is going in for a TURP ? After that he has to have radiotherapy daily for 6 weeks I think he said .

Thanks for advice before 

User
Posted 22 Jul 2019 at 19:18

A TURP is to make it easier to pee, if his urine flow rate is low. (Also, it will probably get slower during the radiotherapy, so fixing that first will help later.)

6 weeks of radiotherapy is a common dose. They will usually want him to be on hormone therapy for 3-6 months before the radiotherapy (it makes the radiotherapy work better), and the hormone therapy usually runs for 18-36 months in total. I think they need a reasonable gap between the TURP and the radiotherapy too, to make sure it's fully healed first.