Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Treatment choices

User
Posted 09 Jul 2019 at 08:34

Hello one and all, 

This is my first post following diagnosis of localised prostate cancer on 05/07/2019. No doubt this question has been raised and answered many times but for those of you in a similar situation, what treatment option did you go for after diagnosis?

I have 3 options: Active Surveillance, Radical Prostatectomy & Radiotherapy.

My biopsy results were 2 from 6 were cancerous on one side and 6 of 7 on the other. These were classed as Low risk and intermediate risk respectively, giving a Gleason score of 7 (3 + 4). I'm aged 59. (60 in a few days time)

Thanks for reading.

Regards, deano59

User
Posted 09 Jul 2019 at 09:06

Hello Deano59, welcome but sorry to read of your diagnosis.

The decision on treatment is a personal one after looking at all the options.

PCUK have a toolkit which helps with this https://prostatecanceruk.org/prostate-information/our-publications/publications/tool-kit

A question you are likely to be asked is whether the cancer is completely contained within the prostate or bulging at the edge of the gland. Have you had a pelvic MRI yet?If it is completely contained then all options are pretty much open to you depending on your general health and fitness.None of the treatments are without life changing side effects. With Gleason 3+4 you will have to choose a treatment.

Surgery is front loaded. The gland is removed and looked at by pathologists. Initial recovery from surgery is generally quick but side effects like erectile dysfunction and urinary incontinence are there. The incontinence is usually the first thing to resolve after the catheter is removed around 7 to 10 days after surgery.

EBRT, brachytherapy and EBRT + brachytherapy tend to produce side effects as time goes on. On this route you would also be given a hormone therapy to suppress testosterone production which has side effects too.

The good news is that any of these treatments are generally highly effective at dealing with the cancer.

Hope I haven’t given you too much information in one go.

Ido4

User
Posted 09 Jul 2019 at 09:08

Hi

Sorry to hear your difficult news but it is not all doom and gloom.  I am the same age as yourself with very similar dx.  My Gleason was 4:3 , so slightly more aggressive than yours.  PSA of 6.

I was not really given an option as a consequence of the Gleason score and strongly advised that Radical prostectomy was the right direction.

Cutting a long story short had the RARP on April 12th this year and it is now three months later.  I am back to full strength, fully continent (few drips when drinking alcohol in an evening).  The only real downside is the ED although this is slowly getting better and I had no nerve sparing curiously.  Using a pump to prevent penis atrophy.....feels surreal but advised it is the right thing to do.  

So all in all following the shock of the dx on Jan 2nd, I am in a surprising good place all things considered.  PSA is below 0.1 and surgeon is delighted with the outcome and I am for all intense and purposes cancer free.  (I am aware there is always the chance this can change going forward but I chose to believe I am cancer free and tell this to family and friends so life can get back to normal).

There are some great people in this community who will give you sound  advice on the other options available to you.  There other options available to you overseas depending on you bank balance and or critical life insurance cover.  I have a friend who has decided on proton beam therapy in the USA.

Good luck with your decision and I will look out for your progress over the next few months.

Kind regards

Steven 

User
Posted 09 Jul 2019 at 09:36

I think I would endorse the advice you have already been given. I was Gleason 7 (4 + 3) with a PSA of 7.4 on diagnosis. The MRI scan showed it was contained within the capsule so all options with the exception of brachytherapy (radio active seeds implanted) were on the table. 

What I liked about the approach at Clatterbridge was a full explanation of each treatment was given. First up I saw the surgeon who discussed the removal of the prostate option, his own success rates, likely side effects and so on. Then the oncologist came into the room and gave her approach. I wasn't steered in one way or the other but I felt I had all the information I needed.

So get yourself well informed. Only you will be able to make that decision on the basis of how you think you would cope with either treatment.

User
Posted 09 Jul 2019 at 12:47

Welcome to the club none of us asked to join!

It's pretty much been said already: with prostate cancer, we don't talk about cure too much, though it can happen, mostly when it's caught really early (stage I or II). For most of us, long term remission in a slow developing disease is the best we can hope for, and 50% of people with prostate cancer don't die of prostate cancer  - and most of that half aren't even particularly inconvenienced after the treatment.

Large scale, long term research shows that PCa survival is pretty much the same for most treatment options - and they all improve as technology and techniques develop over the years.

The really big difference is in the side effects profiles of the different options: they really are very different, and  - depending on your lifestyle and situation - one may be much more suitable than another. Cancer is always a life-changing event, but with prostate cancer, it's the treatment that forces the biggest changes.

On the bright side, with PCa, more than many cancers, usually allows you to 'live with cancer', rather than the alternative, for many years.

User
Posted 09 Jul 2019 at 15:56
Heenan

I had a quick look at the numbers on the interweb and it might be possible that far less than half die of it depending on country and other factors. As with all these things there are lots of different numbers though!

User
Posted 09 Jul 2019 at 17:12

Probably true; the 50% has been bandied about fur a while now, and treatment has progressed. Not so much cure as extended remission, allowing meteor strikes etc.  to take their toll, I suspect!

User
Posted 09 Jul 2019 at 19:49
I actually got told 13% in one of my NHS letters. Just shows what a ship show stats sre😂