I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Advice for diagnosis meeting

User
Posted 11 Jul 2019 at 06:31

hi, going with hubby today for results of template biopsy following negative standard biopsy, mri with pirads3 score and latest psa 4.8. Feeling very negative and bleak - can only see a cancer diagnosis in my head. Am I being too negative?

User
Posted 11 Jul 2019 at 09:43

Good luck with the meeting. We will be thinking of you both.

Ido4

User
Posted 11 Jul 2019 at 10:04

Obviously, wishing you the best possible news.

I find it helps to write down what I'm told during the consultation - things like the biopsy results, and what is proposed next, and then when you come out, as soon as possible, write down anything you didn't write in the room. I see some hospitals encourage patients to record consultations on a phone or similar, but you have to ask first. When there are two of you in there, you will collectively remember more of what was said, but it's amasong how quickly you can forget details.

Also, take in a list of written questions, so you don't forget to ask anything. You could prepare a list of questions if the news is good, and another set for if the news is not so good. That's what I did. My main consultant now takes my question list and writes the answers on it.

Best wishes, Andy.

User
Posted 11 Jul 2019 at 17:17
I would agree with Andy. Having you both in together means you can support each other and don't dwell on the negative if possible. We have lived with my oh cancer for nearly ten years. It is a roller coaster ride but lots of good things have happened in that time too.