Notification

Error
12>

Active Surveillance or Surgery?

User
Posted 11 Jul 2019 at 09:44

Hello,

I'd welcome some views please.

I'm 49 and was diagnosed this time last year. I have completed 12 months of AS, but had my consultation yesterday following a further round of MRI and Biopsy and was encouraged to consider the option of Surgery. 

My Gleason remains at 3+3, but the number of cores where cancer was found has increased from 2 to 6. In summary, the consultant appeared to say that given my tender years(!!) he felt that the need for treatment would be inevitable and that I should consider whether I would like to do this sooner rather than later.

It wasn't a message I was expecting or wanted to hear, I had imagined many blissful years of active surveillance, but the consultant appeared to indicate that the evidence suggested that this cancer would advance.

Overnight, I've come round to his way of thinking, but it feels a bit premature and counter to the view that a Stage 1 cancer should be monitored.

Your views would be appreciated. Is surgery an over-reaction?

..Twist.

User
Posted 12 Jul 2019 at 14:19
I was in nearly your position 18 months ago, except 1 year older and not having had any period of AS.

I considered my options, AS amongst them, and chose surgery for the following reasons.

- PCa is a metastatic disease. The longer you give it, the more chance it has to spread. Ok, 3+3 is not likely to spread quickly or even at all, but at this point the classification is made on the basis of a few biopsy cores and the “upgrade” rate from post-RP pathology is something like 40%. My final classification was 3+4.

- Best get it done sooner while it is still well inside the prostate maximising the chance of full nerve sparing.

- When done right by a high volume expert surgeon, you stand an excellent chance of coming through with full continence and minimal loss of erectile function, though it may take a little time to get back to normal.

- I had had years of prostate symptoms (not directly related to PCa) so getting rid of the (not so) little blighter had its attractions.

- Aforementioned large prostate made brachiotherapy impossible.

Thirteen months on I feel I made the correct decision, in spite of some unusual but fairly severe post complication. I’m currently “in full remission”, fully continent and erectile function within sight of the pre-op condition and still improving. I would also never have been comfortable with the idea that there was a known tumour inside me - to quote a surgeon acquaintance, “the only good carcinoma is the one in the bucket.......”

Best wishes for your decision making process

Nick

User
Posted 14 Jul 2019 at 17:55
Hi, Dog,

We ‘on here’ are not experts, and have never purported to be, but some have undergone treatment and survived, and are happy to share our experiences and collective wisdom with others who have not.

We also know the difference between prostate, a male gland of regeneration, and prostrate, a body lying face downwards and incoherent, much like your last post.

Cheers, John.

User
Posted 07 Sep 2019 at 21:01

Hi Chalkmate

I am much older than you 72 now, but I opted for RP earlier this year to get rid of the cancer that was contained in the prostate. So glad that I did as I am now 14 weeks post op and dry, sexually getting better. My decision was made with my wife and made quickly, surgeon to op in a week. I do understand that we are all different and we react differently to the same situation. I feel so much better that I made a quick and for me the correct decision. Hopefully this may help you.

Regards

Peter

User
Posted 11 Jul 2019 at 11:02
My friend in his seventies has been on AS quite happily for five years, and he is G3+4=7. He has however, seen multiple consultants many times and has had MRI scans annually, although he is now at the point of considering radical treatments.

I would advise you to obtain second opinion(s) and to string out your active surveillance as long as the experts think you can get away with it.

Best of luck.

Cheers, John.

User
Posted 11 Jul 2019 at 23:03

hi

As others have posted.  Everything considered it's your attitude to risk.  

incidentally what are your PSA values. ?

see my profile.  I was quite shocked to be told a lesion had started to push through capsule.

I wouldn't have wanted repeat biopsies either I had in effect put myself on AS by insisting on PSA tests and using my meagre knowledge to watch trends in PSA..

You asked why delay surgery ?There are other options. 

The big If and unknown is do you have any grade 4 cells ..if not then very very low risk and stick with AS.   This disease as I'm sure you know is very unpredictable, you like me and others could have grade 3 cells present for decades.  You can't extend timeline back.

I can't add much more than said by other posters.  Maybe a 2nd opinion ?    Dont rush whatever. 

Yes it's growing, rate unknown . Mine was multifocal when I asked, so again I assumed incorrectly that PCa started in effect from a single source and spread.   

How does your partner and/ or close family feel about this?  Have you discussed ? 

My wife suffers more than me 're. post op. PSA anxiety as the years tick by.   I guess like so many on here, you appreciate life and friendships a great deal more and take each day at a time.

I remember saying to my wife, if it was Gleason 6 on my biopsy the decision process would have been harder  .  As it was Gleason 7 our decision for treatment was made easier. It was then to decide on what and when.

Gordon

User
Posted 12 Jul 2019 at 17:44

hi

what exactly post surgery frightens you ?

Can you be specific ?

I probably would not be here posting if I had not had surgery.  I might have had my surgery 6 months too late . I asked my surgeon about this.  

He managed to achieve clear margins , explaining there is no clear defined membrane that covers most organs.  ie  a 'grey' undefined region around prostate.   I was expecting nerve sparing.  again he explained  mutant cells tend to  migrant along the nerve bundles.   I had no nerves saved. ED no longer a problem .  Ok.  It's taken over 3 years.

Again mine was already Gleason 7.  

I'm now older than my father managed, and he was an extremely fit and active guy. Focuses the mind.

Gordon 

Edited by member 12 Jul 2019 at 17:52  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 14 Jul 2019 at 18:12
Harsh John??? We are not the spelling police after all. Many people don’t know their there’s from theirs yeh. Just saying. : —))
User
Posted 06 Sep 2019 at 17:58

Dear Chalkmate

I am 52 and had 3+3 in biopsy and PSA 10.

I chose surgery and the cancer was upgraded to 3+4 

The point I am making is the degree of cancer I am told gets generally upgraded following surgical histopathology as was in my case.

3+4 becomes intermediate risk and more risk of needing Radiotherapy etc.

There is also the fact that the surgeon can strive to preserve your nerves needing for erection if surgery at an early. Delay in surgery can also lead to something called positive surgical margin. (which has happened in my case and awaiting the first PSA test anxiously).

Becoming infertile and losing erection function (in early cancer if nerve sparing may not be a long term problem) are small prices to pay to have your cancer treated without radiotherapy and harmone treatment etc, in my view and hence I agreed for surgery.

Hope this helps you in making your choice.

Thala

User
Posted 19 Sep 2019 at 14:25

Hi Chalkmate,

Don't know if you've chosen a path yet, and everyone's  is different, but just thought I'd share my experience. I'm 58 and was diagnosed (via MRI-guided perineal biopsy) with Gleason 3+3 just over a year ago. It was localised in one area with no breakout, so I was low risk and had all options open. Chose AS, but after six months decided I wanted to take control rather than having the decision taken for me, or having my options limited down the line. 

Started to investigate all possibilities and RP was the obvious choice for me as it seemed that it was the route that would give me the best chance of getting rid of the PCa for good. I didn't want another 15 years of PSA tests and biopsies, or to be a cancer patient at all. So, after finding a surgeon I felt happy with (you can check out their records on baus.org) I went for it and the prostate (and cancer!) went on July 2.

Ten weeks post-op I have no regrets. My head is in a much better place and I'm able to plan my future without worrying about PSA levels and what's happening down there.

After effects: The one we dread - ED - which I hope will improve given that RP on early-stage localised PCa gives you a much better chance of nerve sparing. Err, that's it: I suffered no incontinence, was pain free within 2 weeks, back at work in 4 and am back running with no issues.   

I wouldn't presume to give you advice but the things that helped me most once I'd decided on RP were: finding a surgeon I was totally confident in, speaking to other guys who'd had the op (including via PCUK's One to One service) - and just knowing I was in control of this thing rather than the other way around.

Appreciate I'm lucky, with minimal side effects, but hope a positive report post-RP will help you with your next move, whatever it might be. 

Best Regards

User
Posted 20 Oct 2019 at 01:51

I'm very mindful that at any time type 4 or 5 cells could evolve and the outlook can change without much notice.

Just to be clear, G3+3 doesn’t usually evolve into G3+4 and then 3+5 or anything like that. Generally speaking, whatever Gleason you are diagnosed with is what you will remain. Occasionally, there are very small amounts of a higher pattern at diagnosis which develop faster than the diagnosed pattern and eventually become more prevalent but where the lab thinks that is a possibility, the patient is given a tertiary score [e.g. diagnosis would be G6(3+3) + tertiary 5]. It tends to only be pattern 5 that overtakes the original cells.

What is more of a concern in a situation like yours is being able to identify when the T1 or T2a is on the move and becoming a T2c or T3a. The only monitoring tools are PSA and regular MRI and DRE.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 20 Oct 2019 at 02:57
I have just been rereading through this thread and would just like to pick up on a statement made by King Kenny awhile back as he appears to believe having a RP means he will no longer have to have PSA tests 'Started to investigate all possibilities and RP was the obvious choice for me as it seemed that it was the route that would give me the best chance of getting rid of the PCa for good. I didn't want another 15 years of PSA tests and biopsies..' Anybody who has had any treatment for PCa should not take it for granted that some PCa cells haven't escaped the knife, radiation or whatever and will definitely never be a problem even years later because this can and does happen in some cases, although where the cancer was well contained the chances of this happening are less. It is important that after treatment a man does have regular PSA tests, the intervals of which can be increased over time if a patient's PSA is stable and there is no other cause for concern.
Barry
User
Posted 11 Jul 2019 at 15:24

Hello Twist, I don't think it is an over-reaction by your surgeon, you are young and there is evidence that a Gleason Grade of 3+3 can change over time or more serious grades found. The same is true for staging.

You do have time on your side though to explore all options and consult with the professionals.

In part it does come down to your approach to risk. Are you happy to continue with active surveillance for now knowing that the cancer might progress (or indeed it may not!) vs deciding to have more invasive treatment to remove the cancer completely but also having to cope with the inevitable side effects. 

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Flexi

Edited by member 11 Jul 2019 at 15:26  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 11 Jul 2019 at 15:51

If you have it done early enough while self-contained and eligible for nerve sparing, and by an expert surgeon, there should be a good chance of eventual full recovery except for dry orgasms, but with a risk of loss of erections and urinary incontinence. The further it goes before radical treatment, your options reduce and side effects increase, and risk of recurrence increases.

It's a gamble of QoL now, QoL longer term, and longevity.

Also think about sperm banking at your age.

Edited by member 11 Jul 2019 at 15:51  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 11 Jul 2019 at 22:07
On the flip side to delay, early intervention raises the chance of removing it all.
User
Posted 11 Jul 2019 at 23:39

If you had an MRI and biopsy did the consultant mention what the MRI found.  Biopsies are a bit hit and miss.  Mine missed a lot only 1 pin found anything and only 5% at that, although it was 13mm according to the MRI.  So finding a few extra pins might mean change or it might not.

The good thing is a 3+3 is likely to be developing slowly and it gives you time to decide.  There is a lot written about over treatment.  I was warned about it.  Yet being complacent and finding out it's too late brings a sinking feeling to us all.

If it was me I think I'd keep calm and set wheels in motion thinking that it's very likely to bring a successful outcome. It's all probability, like I hope mine has gone but my Gleason means I'll be one of the few.

It is possible that with a low Gleason they'd do their upmost to save nerves.  Especially if you ensure you get an experienced surgeon.  Assuming you choose surgery, as Brachytherapy might be a good option and if they don't offer it at your hospital you've likely got time to sort it elsewhere.

I was no good at having a tumour inside me I wanted it out, it's all depends on your own attitude.  So all the best, Peter

User
Posted 12 Jul 2019 at 11:44

Thank you all, for the comments so far. I have to say something that has undoubtedly been said before, but the thought of life post surgery terrifies me.

If I act now, its hard to see how I'll regret it because I will be reasonably reconciled to the view that given my age, it seems an inevitable course of action in the future. However, failure to act now may later be regretted due to advances that the cancer may make.

Maybe it's just one of those tough decision that politicians like to refer to!!

I'd be interested to hear from anyone who regrets surgery or who believes they had surgery too early, please.

Thank you.

Edited by member 12 Jul 2019 at 11:46  | Reason: Not specified

..Twist.

User
Posted 13 Jul 2019 at 10:53

Hello Chalkmate

If you read my profile you will see i opted for robotic surgery.

The cancer was localised in my prostrate  and i was offered all the alternative treatments but after long talks with my wife we thought lets get it over with.

I would not presume to tell you to follow my lead but i do now have < 0.01 psa a negative reading and will have blood test every 3 months. 

User
Posted 14 Jul 2019 at 16:09

I chose to have my prostrate removed using robotic surgery i now have a psa of < 0.01  and thats briliant!

it was my choice not the consultant or any one else!!

I was offered alternatives but my cancer was localised in my prostrate and removal meant it stays in the prostrate on the pathologist table for him to have a good look at!

So make your mind up before it escapes in to your body and then leaves you with no choice!

The choice is yours don't listen to the experts on here who bu the way arnt experts!

User
Posted 14 Jul 2019 at 18:14

Love it when i touch nerves!!

User
Posted 26 Sep 2019 at 19:30

No, this is a bit of a hidden secret, as in the pre-operative paperwork you get, it only refers euphemistically to ‘changed physical appearance’, not ‘You may end up with a micro-penis’, and I think that can be a consequence of any prostatectomy surgery.

Retzius-sparing was pioneered by Bocciardi (the tenor at La Scala😉) in Milan, and a guy in Seoul, and Professor Whocannotbenamedhere is a protogée of theirs. In turn he is mentoring his fellow consultants at his NHS practice in Guildford.

The strange thing is that sometimes when I have a crap, I get a lazy lob approximating what I had before. Matron had some wise words about that and that different erectile nerves are involved.

I suppose the long and short of it (see what I did there?) is how much length you had to start with and how big the prostate and its tumour were that had to be removed in order to reconnect the urethra, together with how many nerves could be spared.

I know others here have retained ‘physical appearance’ and erectile function, and good luck to them. I am quite happy and I only mention my particular situation to augment the knowledge base here.

Off to the Caribbean on Saturday (not Thomas Cook) so I will be more concerned with sunburn and mosquitos than PCa..

Cheers, John.

Edited by member 26 Sep 2019 at 19:32  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 30 Sep 2019 at 22:59
Phone the nurses at PCUK (number at top of the page) - they will put you in touch with one of the charity's mentor / survivors in your area for each of the treatments on offer, if that is what you want. John didn't meet anyone but he did speak to two of the volunteers by phone and both offered to meet for a coffee if he wanted.

The risk of speaking to a random from a site like ours (rather than someone that has been approved and given guidance on how to be that befriender) is that you may get very one sided or unreliable info. Better to have discussions openly if you can so that there is some balance.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 01 Oct 2019 at 14:42

Grant, if you haven't already read this, it may help

https://community.prostatecanceruk.org/posts/t9839-One-wife-s-story-of-ED 

User
Posted 18 Oct 2019 at 11:36

Hi John

Thanks for the heads up. Talking with a few of the guys on here that seems to be pretty much the time line so fingers crossed :-)

I'll get some thick pads for the trip home. I'll probably get a taxi as based not far outside Wokingham although I think train is probably just as easy.

What did you do ref the infected stitches? Did that mean a trip to London Bridge again or were you able to get local GP support etc? Thats the only thing that concerns me is local support especially out of hours. And how the NHS view treating private op patients.

Top tip ref WD40 :D

Cheers

TG

User
Posted 19 Oct 2019 at 15:55

DC recommended a suprapubic catheter. I suspect either is enough to drive you mad though.  I didn't think to shave the insertion area, its an open wound and as it heals, hairs become trapped! When you forget and move quickly, usually at night, well, you can imagine.. Removal was easy, I didn't have a stitch, just a dressing. Luckily no infection which is common. I left the hospital day 2 in a Taxi to Euston station followed by a train to Chester. Interesting day.. I must have looked quite a sight to my fellow passengers! The 'bag' was already stressing me out though, trying to empty it in the loo whilst the train was moving was an experience best forgotten - funny though. 

Wounds wise, stitches and superglue for me. Those that didn't fallout I snipped.

Hope that helps!

Simon 

User
Posted 20 Oct 2019 at 02:02
The sutures on the wounds that became infected involved three trips to the GP nurse and a course of antibiotics. The stitches are so fine that the nurse had to use a magnifying glass to remove them, and she only removed what she could see at the time, hence the three trips.

I woke up to discover I had been given a free half Brazilian, so no problems with pubic hair around the supra-pubic catheter. The leg bag is a bloody nuisance, but it’s only for ten days.

There was an embarrassing / amusing moment in the pub when I hadn’t closed the drain tap properly, and ended up pissing all over the floor! I still haven’t heard the last of it eighteen months down the line. I just tell the piss-takers: “Don’t mock the afflicted”😉

Cheers, John.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 11 Jul 2019 at 11:02
My friend in his seventies has been on AS quite happily for five years, and he is G3+4=7. He has however, seen multiple consultants many times and has had MRI scans annually, although he is now at the point of considering radical treatments.

I would advise you to obtain second opinion(s) and to string out your active surveillance as long as the experts think you can get away with it.

Best of luck.

Cheers, John.

User
Posted 11 Jul 2019 at 11:18

Thanks John. For the avoidance of doubt, what is your main argument for delaying Surgery for as long as possible? Is it the risk of a permanent impact to "lifestyle" caused by Surgery?

..Twist.

User
Posted 11 Jul 2019 at 15:24

Hello Twist, I don't think it is an over-reaction by your surgeon, you are young and there is evidence that a Gleason Grade of 3+3 can change over time or more serious grades found. The same is true for staging.

You do have time on your side though to explore all options and consult with the professionals.

In part it does come down to your approach to risk. Are you happy to continue with active surveillance for now knowing that the cancer might progress (or indeed it may not!) vs deciding to have more invasive treatment to remove the cancer completely but also having to cope with the inevitable side effects. 

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Flexi

Edited by member 11 Jul 2019 at 15:26  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 11 Jul 2019 at 15:51

If you have it done early enough while self-contained and eligible for nerve sparing, and by an expert surgeon, there should be a good chance of eventual full recovery except for dry orgasms, but with a risk of loss of erections and urinary incontinence. The further it goes before radical treatment, your options reduce and side effects increase, and risk of recurrence increases.

It's a gamble of QoL now, QoL longer term, and longevity.

Also think about sperm banking at your age.

Edited by member 11 Jul 2019 at 15:51  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 11 Jul 2019 at 22:07
On the flip side to delay, early intervention raises the chance of removing it all.
User
Posted 11 Jul 2019 at 23:03

hi

As others have posted.  Everything considered it's your attitude to risk.  

incidentally what are your PSA values. ?

see my profile.  I was quite shocked to be told a lesion had started to push through capsule.

I wouldn't have wanted repeat biopsies either I had in effect put myself on AS by insisting on PSA tests and using my meagre knowledge to watch trends in PSA..

You asked why delay surgery ?There are other options. 

The big If and unknown is do you have any grade 4 cells ..if not then very very low risk and stick with AS.   This disease as I'm sure you know is very unpredictable, you like me and others could have grade 3 cells present for decades.  You can't extend timeline back.

I can't add much more than said by other posters.  Maybe a 2nd opinion ?    Dont rush whatever. 

Yes it's growing, rate unknown . Mine was multifocal when I asked, so again I assumed incorrectly that PCa started in effect from a single source and spread.   

How does your partner and/ or close family feel about this?  Have you discussed ? 

My wife suffers more than me 're. post op. PSA anxiety as the years tick by.   I guess like so many on here, you appreciate life and friendships a great deal more and take each day at a time.

I remember saying to my wife, if it was Gleason 6 on my biopsy the decision process would have been harder  .  As it was Gleason 7 our decision for treatment was made easier. It was then to decide on what and when.

Gordon

User
Posted 11 Jul 2019 at 23:39

If you had an MRI and biopsy did the consultant mention what the MRI found.  Biopsies are a bit hit and miss.  Mine missed a lot only 1 pin found anything and only 5% at that, although it was 13mm according to the MRI.  So finding a few extra pins might mean change or it might not.

The good thing is a 3+3 is likely to be developing slowly and it gives you time to decide.  There is a lot written about over treatment.  I was warned about it.  Yet being complacent and finding out it's too late brings a sinking feeling to us all.

If it was me I think I'd keep calm and set wheels in motion thinking that it's very likely to bring a successful outcome. It's all probability, like I hope mine has gone but my Gleason means I'll be one of the few.

It is possible that with a low Gleason they'd do their upmost to save nerves.  Especially if you ensure you get an experienced surgeon.  Assuming you choose surgery, as Brachytherapy might be a good option and if they don't offer it at your hospital you've likely got time to sort it elsewhere.

I was no good at having a tumour inside me I wanted it out, it's all depends on your own attitude.  So all the best, Peter

User
Posted 12 Jul 2019 at 11:44

Thank you all, for the comments so far. I have to say something that has undoubtedly been said before, but the thought of life post surgery terrifies me.

If I act now, its hard to see how I'll regret it because I will be reasonably reconciled to the view that given my age, it seems an inevitable course of action in the future. However, failure to act now may later be regretted due to advances that the cancer may make.

Maybe it's just one of those tough decision that politicians like to refer to!!

I'd be interested to hear from anyone who regrets surgery or who believes they had surgery too early, please.

Thank you.

Edited by member 12 Jul 2019 at 11:46  | Reason: Not specified

..Twist.

User
Posted 12 Jul 2019 at 14:19
I was in nearly your position 18 months ago, except 1 year older and not having had any period of AS.

I considered my options, AS amongst them, and chose surgery for the following reasons.

- PCa is a metastatic disease. The longer you give it, the more chance it has to spread. Ok, 3+3 is not likely to spread quickly or even at all, but at this point the classification is made on the basis of a few biopsy cores and the “upgrade” rate from post-RP pathology is something like 40%. My final classification was 3+4.

- Best get it done sooner while it is still well inside the prostate maximising the chance of full nerve sparing.

- When done right by a high volume expert surgeon, you stand an excellent chance of coming through with full continence and minimal loss of erectile function, though it may take a little time to get back to normal.

- I had had years of prostate symptoms (not directly related to PCa) so getting rid of the (not so) little blighter had its attractions.

- Aforementioned large prostate made brachiotherapy impossible.

Thirteen months on I feel I made the correct decision, in spite of some unusual but fairly severe post complication. I’m currently “in full remission”, fully continent and erectile function within sight of the pre-op condition and still improving. I would also never have been comfortable with the idea that there was a known tumour inside me - to quote a surgeon acquaintance, “the only good carcinoma is the one in the bucket.......”

Best wishes for your decision making process

Nick

User
Posted 12 Jul 2019 at 14:29

Thanks Nick, I appreciate your reply.

..Twist.

User
Posted 12 Jul 2019 at 15:08

Making a decision on treatment was a time consuming and difficult process for me.

I am a lot older and I decided against surgery and went for Brachytherapy.  You might consider all the options, surgery being only one of them, then toss the coin...…………...

John

Gleason 6 = 3+3 PSA 8.8 P. volume 48 cc Left Cores 3/3, Volume = 20% PSA 10.8 Feb '19 PSA 1.2

Jan '20 PSA 0.3 July '20 0.1 Jan. 21 < 0.1 Dec 21 <0.01 June '22 <0.01 April '23  <0.01

User
Posted 12 Jul 2019 at 17:44

hi

what exactly post surgery frightens you ?

Can you be specific ?

I probably would not be here posting if I had not had surgery.  I might have had my surgery 6 months too late . I asked my surgeon about this.  

He managed to achieve clear margins , explaining there is no clear defined membrane that covers most organs.  ie  a 'grey' undefined region around prostate.   I was expecting nerve sparing.  again he explained  mutant cells tend to  migrant along the nerve bundles.   I had no nerves saved. ED no longer a problem .  Ok.  It's taken over 3 years.

Again mine was already Gleason 7.  

I'm now older than my father managed, and he was an extremely fit and active guy. Focuses the mind.

Gordon 

Edited by member 12 Jul 2019 at 17:52  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 13 Jul 2019 at 10:53

Hello Chalkmate

If you read my profile you will see i opted for robotic surgery.

The cancer was localised in my prostrate  and i was offered all the alternative treatments but after long talks with my wife we thought lets get it over with.

I would not presume to tell you to follow my lead but i do now have < 0.01 psa a negative reading and will have blood test every 3 months. 

User
Posted 13 Jul 2019 at 11:45
Hi ..Twist,

My post-operative comments are these:

First, I am cancer free (for now🤞), I have lost 2” from my penis which is great for urinating through, but little else, although I can enjoy a muted dry orgasm in its flaccid state. The surgery itself was virtually painless, as you can read in my profile, and I was completely continent a few weeks post-op.

I don’t know the pros and cons of early surgery compared to AS with your age group, but the above may be what you have to look to forward to if you go for the op.

I reiterate, if I were you, I would put off radical treatment as long as you are advised you can ‘safely’ do so, although no consultant can tell you what is ‘safe’.

Best of luck.

Cheers, John.

User
Posted 14 Jul 2019 at 02:09

My husband was also diagnosed G6 3+3 .His PSA was 3.56 and The tumour was considered large but low risk.

His diagnosing surgeon recommended an RP but he was concerned this may be an overtreatment of a low risk tumour and was not keen to risk the ED, inconcontence or impact on work.

AS was also offered but as his dad had just died of PCa this felt like an undertreatment

Rock and hard place!

He opted to travel to the USA for a FLA ( £24,000 out of pocket procedure) . His PSA is now stable at 1.85 and his MRI shows no signs of cancer atm. He still has his prostate and his sex life, his work has been unaffected and no Incontinence. He has 4 monthly PSA testing.

He is 57 and chose QOL ( from a low risk diagnosis position.. )

Everyone’s risk appetite is different and also ability to cope with the side effects too

Good luck with your decision

Clare

Edited by member 14 Jul 2019 at 02:12  | Reason: Psa 1.34 .. typo

User
Posted 14 Jul 2019 at 14:27
What is an FLA?

I’m pretty sure it’s not Disneyworld, Kissimmee, FLA!

Cheers, John.

User
Posted 14 Jul 2019 at 14:39
I need all the short abbreviations explaining as well!

I dont mind reading the long words!

But only use abbreviations if you know us thick sickly bastards can understand them.

User
Posted 14 Jul 2019 at 15:27

Focal Laser Ablation.

Focal means the treatment is applied only to the diseased area (cancer plus safety margin), not the whole organ.

Laser Ablation is destruction of tissue by heating and vaporising it with a laser.

FLA needs to be guided to the right spot(s), which can be done with things like ultrasound, MRI, CT scan, etc. I'm not sure which are used for prostate treatment.

By the way, I think it's offered at Luton and Dunstable Hospital.

User
Posted 14 Jul 2019 at 16:09

I chose to have my prostrate removed using robotic surgery i now have a psa of < 0.01  and thats briliant!

it was my choice not the consultant or any one else!!

I was offered alternatives but my cancer was localised in my prostrate and removal meant it stays in the prostrate on the pathologist table for him to have a good look at!

So make your mind up before it escapes in to your body and then leaves you with no choice!

The choice is yours don't listen to the experts on here who bu the way arnt experts!

User
Posted 14 Jul 2019 at 17:55
Hi, Dog,

We ‘on here’ are not experts, and have never purported to be, but some have undergone treatment and survived, and are happy to share our experiences and collective wisdom with others who have not.

We also know the difference between prostate, a male gland of regeneration, and prostrate, a body lying face downwards and incoherent, much like your last post.

Cheers, John.

User
Posted 14 Jul 2019 at 18:12
Harsh John??? We are not the spelling police after all. Many people don’t know their there’s from theirs yeh. Just saying. : —))
User
Posted 14 Jul 2019 at 18:14

Love it when i touch nerves!!

User
Posted 15 Jul 2019 at 07:18

"Right, stop that. It's silly."

Thank you for your posts and sharing your respective wisdom, I appreciate it. I need to hear what the Surgeon up at Kings has to offer and at some point, hopefully someone might refer to my MRi scan!!.

For now, thank you.

..Twist.

User
Posted 23 Jul 2019 at 21:12
Hi Everyone.

I'm in a somewhat similar position, so thought I'd share and ask for opinions. I posted before in the "Early Detection" sub-topic.

Background:

I have been under the watch of a urologist for about 5 years. My PSA has risen steadily (with very brief periods where it stabilized before going up again). Test over the five years (when PSA increased) were: biopsy#1, biopsy#2, MRI#1, biopsy#4, MRI#2, MRI#3, MRI#4. After another PSA increase, urologist suggested going back to biopsy (as MRI is good for detecting higher grade cancer, but may miss low grade). Fourth biopsy found Gleason 6 in five of seven samples, with another three samples missing due to small prostate. My PSA has steadily risen to a very high 24. I am 57 years old.

Urologist Advice and My Questions.

My regular urologist (very experienced) is on medical leave himself. So I had a younger urologist advising over the last period when Gleason 6 was detected. After biopsy with Gleason 6, I asked for Bone Scan and CT Scan (which turned out clear), and he agreed. He mentioned that Active Surveillance might be more difficult due to my small prostate, so continuing biopsy may be harder.

After the bone scan and CT scan came back negative, I was surprised to hear this urologist say that their protocol is to not treat Gleason 6 (as at prior meeting he was implying AS might be difficult). Also, while Gleason 6 is consider low risk, my extremely high (and constantly rising PSA) suggests it is not as low risk. Also since prostate is small, what else could produce high PSA?

My regular doctor (very experienced) is also leaning to treatment. If I was older, AS would make sense, but I'm expecting to have more than 30 more years. Have asked for a second opinion and referral to a top urologist.

I noticed if you look at more US based prostate cancer forums, most US based patients lean heavily in favour of active surveillance for Gleason 6 (with many saying Gleason 6 is not even cancer). But as others have said, it's very possible that there is an area with higher Gleason score that was not sampled, plus high PSA, plus 5 of 7 cores showed Gleason 6. I'm already leaning to going for treatment.

User
Posted 23 Jul 2019 at 23:23
Your PSA isn't that high, so whether or not AS is suitable rather depends on where the 5 positive cores were taken from, and what % of each core was affected?

User
Posted 24 Jul 2019 at 07:52
My friend, in his seventies, is looking forward to his sixth year of active surveillance and he is Gleason 3+4=7.

He, like you, has had regular tests and scans.

Carry on surveilling!

Cheers, John.

User
Posted 26 Jul 2019 at 13:11
Janus is only 56 though......

Whole different ballgame in my view...... I’d want it gone, and that’s what I did. No regrets.

Nick

User
Posted 29 Aug 2019 at 19:02
Hi Everyone, I thought I'd provide another update.

Again, my history very briefly. PSA has increased from 8.0 in 2014 to 24.2 in 2018. Had three biopsies and four MRIs during that period, and all negative (MRI found only PIRAD 2). Finally fourth biopsy found Gleason 6 in five of seven cores. Another five core didn't not get a sample due to small prostate. I asked for Bone Scan and CT scan after Gleason 6 found, and both come back pretty clean.

My regular Urologist is on medical leave, and the younger urologist covering for him had a couple of conflicting comments. In meeting after Gleason 6 found (and before Bone Scan, CT Scan), the said that AS may be difficult due to small prostate -- harder to do follow-up monitoring. In meeting after Bone Scan, he said their protocal is to not treat Gleason 6 --- i.e. must wait for higher grade to treat.

I wasn't entire satisfied with the answer and got a second opinion at the top cancer center in my country (and one of the top in the world) -- the Princess Margaret Center in Toronto. Was seen by the head of the department and a resident. Head doctor recommends treatment. Princess Margaret is one of the centers that developed the general protocol in Canada and the US that you monitoring Gleason 6, not treat it.

But there are too many things about my case that are strange.

- steadily increasing and high PSA

- my prostate is very small, so no reason for it to be producing high PSA.

- strange 3 prior biopsies and four prior MRIs found nothing, and now 5 of 7 cores have Gleason 6.

- I'm quite young at age 57.

They recommend treatment. I will be schedule for Robotic Surgery.

User
Posted 06 Sep 2019 at 17:58

Dear Chalkmate

I am 52 and had 3+3 in biopsy and PSA 10.

I chose surgery and the cancer was upgraded to 3+4 

The point I am making is the degree of cancer I am told gets generally upgraded following surgical histopathology as was in my case.

3+4 becomes intermediate risk and more risk of needing Radiotherapy etc.

There is also the fact that the surgeon can strive to preserve your nerves needing for erection if surgery at an early. Delay in surgery can also lead to something called positive surgical margin. (which has happened in my case and awaiting the first PSA test anxiously).

Becoming infertile and losing erection function (in early cancer if nerve sparing may not be a long term problem) are small prices to pay to have your cancer treated without radiotherapy and harmone treatment etc, in my view and hence I agreed for surgery.

Hope this helps you in making your choice.

Thala

User
Posted 07 Sep 2019 at 21:01

Hi Chalkmate

I am much older than you 72 now, but I opted for RP earlier this year to get rid of the cancer that was contained in the prostate. So glad that I did as I am now 14 weeks post op and dry, sexually getting better. My decision was made with my wife and made quickly, surgeon to op in a week. I do understand that we are all different and we react differently to the same situation. I feel so much better that I made a quick and for me the correct decision. Hopefully this may help you.

Regards

Peter

User
Posted 19 Sep 2019 at 14:25

Hi Chalkmate,

Don't know if you've chosen a path yet, and everyone's  is different, but just thought I'd share my experience. I'm 58 and was diagnosed (via MRI-guided perineal biopsy) with Gleason 3+3 just over a year ago. It was localised in one area with no breakout, so I was low risk and had all options open. Chose AS, but after six months decided I wanted to take control rather than having the decision taken for me, or having my options limited down the line. 

Started to investigate all possibilities and RP was the obvious choice for me as it seemed that it was the route that would give me the best chance of getting rid of the PCa for good. I didn't want another 15 years of PSA tests and biopsies, or to be a cancer patient at all. So, after finding a surgeon I felt happy with (you can check out their records on baus.org) I went for it and the prostate (and cancer!) went on July 2.

Ten weeks post-op I have no regrets. My head is in a much better place and I'm able to plan my future without worrying about PSA levels and what's happening down there.

After effects: The one we dread - ED - which I hope will improve given that RP on early-stage localised PCa gives you a much better chance of nerve sparing. Err, that's it: I suffered no incontinence, was pain free within 2 weeks, back at work in 4 and am back running with no issues.   

I wouldn't presume to give you advice but the things that helped me most once I'd decided on RP were: finding a surgeon I was totally confident in, speaking to other guys who'd had the op (including via PCUK's One to One service) - and just knowing I was in control of this thing rather than the other way around.

Appreciate I'm lucky, with minimal side effects, but hope a positive report post-RP will help you with your next move, whatever it might be. 

Best Regards

User
Posted 19 Sep 2019 at 23:52

Hi KingKenny

Any chance of letting me know consultant and where you had the work done.

in a pretty similar situation to you chaps having has a TPM biopsy on the 5th Sept in London and results yesterday which showed around five 3+3=7 lesions in four regions on my prostate. PSA back on July 1st was 5.6. (I’m 52).

Urology Consultant very good and is meeting with his London MDT first week of October to review options for me. He is leaning towards AS but like many of you here I’m thinking get a robotic RP done sooner rather than later when good margins can be done. 

My consultant appears to have a good track record but need to check the stats out more as baus data is 16/17 only that I can see.

best regards

User
Posted 20 Sep 2019 at 00:17
Techguy, just ask him for his more recent stats. The most useful are:

% positive margins

% needing adjuvant treatment

% biochemical recurrence within 5 years

% able to get an erection sufficient for penetration without chemical or mechanical assistance at 12 months post-op

% using no continence pads at 12 months post-op

User
Posted 20 Sep 2019 at 12:45

LynEyre, thank you so much for this as very informative.

Best Regards

TG

User
Posted 20 Sep 2019 at 15:15

3+3=7? Is that from the Diane Abbot school of mathematics?😉

If you are 3+3=6, definitely go for AS, and a friend in his seventies, 3+4=7 has been on AS for five years and is doing fine. He has however, seen consultants all over the world, and is following an ‘anti-cancer’ diet cooked up for him by the Mayo Clinic in America.

I was very happy with my surgeon, Professor Whocannotbenamedhere, who came highly recommended to me and is a veteran of more than 3000 prostatectomies world-wide, with an average of 300-400 a year.

You can locate him if you look up ‘Santis Prostate’ - that website also gives lots of other information about the disease as well.

Best of luck.

Cheers, John.

Edited by member 20 Sep 2019 at 15:28  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 20 Sep 2019 at 15:27

Thanks John That is much appreciated. 

User
Posted 20 Sep 2019 at 15:33

Cheers John 🤪

OMG slipped up there as I was on Sauvignon Blanc therapy after the news... Definitely Gleason 6 :-) Just had the formal GP letter through and full diagnosis is: Gleason 3+3=6 adenocarcinoma in all 4 quadrants or prostate (5/20 cores) Maximum core length is 5mm. so low grade Stage 1 

best regards

TG

User
Posted 23 Sep 2019 at 09:30

Hi techguy

Don’t know if they like recommendations for surgeons/hospitals on the forum so if you private message me I’ll be happy to pass on info  

cheers. 

User
Posted 23 Sep 2019 at 09:46

Thanks KK

I tried DM but think I am too new as block mechanism in place.

On the plus side I think I have worked out the prof’s details so will be engaging shortly for a second opinion. Looks like he does some of the highest volumes around plus stats are very positive. 

Best Regards

TG

User
Posted 23 Sep 2019 at 13:03
You can read the contemporaneous notes of my surgery if you look up “Retzius sparing” here.

Although my Cave of Retzius and half of my nerves were spared, there is no sign of erectile function - despite chemical enhancement - but continence is fine. A bonus with the Prof’s procedure is the supra-pubic catheter, i.e. no annoying pipe rammed down your dick.

I did ask him during my post-operative consultation: “Do you do penis extensions?”, as an inevitable consequence of prostatectomy is what the medics call “changes to physical appearance”, i.e. a truncated penis.

Anyway, the most important consequence of my prostatectomy is that I no longer have cancer!

Cheers, John.

User
Posted 23 Sep 2019 at 13:35

Hi John

Thanks for the heads up. Yes, been looking at Retzius is some detail and the approach of going in under the bladder looks very prudent indeed. I’m split at the moment but it’s early days on this journey. Although being low grade cancer (Gleason 6) I’m also mindful that this is only what was sampled plus the probability of upgrades post surgery. My ex works in cancer drug trials so I also heave a little bit of visibility in how things can progress and the biology behind it ie the longer it’s left in situ increases probability of spread as it is fundamentally a metastatic disease. 

Immunotherapy is something that could be on the horizon soon in terms of treating low-grade rather than extending life in more advanced cases. Talking to my ex who is an immunotherapy scientist by trade she thinks that’s around 10-15 years away with the most optimistic view. These novel new approaches always take a long longer to get out the lab than hoped for.

Surgery does seem the best option while there are good margins and as far as clinically detectable should be localised. As you say our goal is to be cancer free or at least in remission for as long as possible balances with a quality of life.

ED and shortening of my penis would be quite a loss as my age my for me the focus is reasonable quality of life and reach as reasonable innings. Continence is something I would hate to lose but I can managed any short term issues. 

I saw the prof prefers suprapubic catheter. That does make a lots of sense in terms of healing. After having a cystoscopy back in 2016 I know exactly where you are coming from.

Wish you the very best on your road to recovery and appreciate you sharing your experiences.

best

TG

User
Posted 25 Sep 2019 at 10:27

Dear all,

I thought I would post an update for the general audience that may perhaps be of most interest to Techguy.

I bit the bullet. Rightly or wrongly, the surgeon I was referred to, believed that the prostate would have to come out at some point, given the progression over the previous 12 months. The more I thought about it, the less I could see to be gained in delaying the inevitable - in fact - all I could see was an increasing risk profile.

I had surgery 2 weeks ago. I didn't want it, who does, but I committed. I was in for 2 nights and made to feel a wimp for that extra night. Ah well!!

I took pain killers for a week, more out of fear rather than actual pain. My Catheter was removed after 7 days - Hooray!! I'm not dry, but I'm pretty damn close - clinicians seem impressed. 

It's too early to even talk ED and in the meantime, I need to rest, exercise a little and build my energy levels up. 

The only slightly sour note I have is that post surgery, I pressed the surgeon on whether he had spared my nerves? The response I got was something like, there was incremental nerve sparing on both sides (which is too complex to quantify). With regards to future Erectile function, I guess I need to aim high, put the training in and hope for the best - but if anyone has experience or knowledge of incremental nerve sparing, please let me know.

As stated by someone previously, my head is in a better place than 8 weeks ago. I have no regrets so far and hopefully, this is the end of the PCa for me.

P.S. Very many thanks to all for your contributions.

Edited by member 25 Sep 2019 at 10:28  | Reason: Not specified

..Twist.

User
User
Posted 25 Sep 2019 at 21:58

Hi Chalkmate

Thank you so much for the update.

I think I’m in pretty much the same tracks as you albeit much earlier on the timeline. Will wait two weeks for MDT London meeting but will engage with the Prof Whocannotbenamed and get a second option with a view to RP. Even though I have low grade adenocarcinoma of the prostate you just don’t know what else is there plus when the cells could decide to go on a road trip around Route TG.

I guess they did the retzius sparing approach with NeuroSafe?

Sounds like you are an excellent road to recovery. Hope the long term outcome reflects this.

Makes so much sense to get it out when localised. I’ve only been diagnosed a week now and spent a lot of time researching. Playing roulette with time doesn’t seem prudent that’s for sure.

Best regards

TG

User
Posted 26 Sep 2019 at 10:23

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

I guess they did the retzius sparing approach with NeuroSafe?

TG

NeuroSafe (a procedure where prostate samples are evaluated in real-time during the operation by a pathologist in situ) is a great idea as the surgeon knows what is cancerous and what can be left untouched.

My friend had a similar thing with skin cancer on his nose, where his plastic surgeon was trained in pathology so she could see how many slices to remove to get down to ’clean’ tissue. My mate had five slices removed, where normally it’s only two or three, but luckily he’s got a big nose, so he still looks OK. Moh’s Surgery, I believe.

NeuroSafe is not offered on the NHS hospital where Professor Whocannotbenamedhere works, but is at one or two London private hospitals where he practises. A very good idea.

Cheers, John

Edited by member 26 Sep 2019 at 10:31  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 26 Sep 2019 at 10:39

Thanks John

Yes, been reading up on it and great approach to get near real-time visibility. 

Thanks for clarifying about locations where available. They came up the other night when I had a good chat with a local friend who used to work in urology before retirement. 

The surgical procedures are coming on in leaps and bounds so if I go down this route I hope for at least continence. Would be nice also not put the little chap into retirement but if it’s at the cost of being PCa free then it’s a price I’m willing to pay.

Thanks again 

TG

User
Posted 26 Sep 2019 at 12:32
Don't be to eager to write off your willy!! You might be surprised to find out how much impact it has!!
User
Posted 26 Sep 2019 at 15:00

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
Don't be to eager to write off your willy!! You might be surprised to find out how much impact it has!!

Speak for yourself, love. I asked Professor Whocannotbenamedhere if he did penis extensions, and he just laughed.

You might find me on a future episode of ‘Embarassing Bodies’, but I doubt they take on hopeless cases.

Am I bovvered? Nah...

User
Posted 26 Sep 2019 at 17:56

Totally aware not to trivialise the impact. But for me I’d rather risk that at maybe a higher probability of removing all the PCa. 

I suspect procedures maybe be available at some point in the future to address that but I want to take the pathway that gives me best chance of reaching a good age without too much discomfort.

Plus like John a promising tv career might be on my horizon 70+ #hoarders 🥴

have a good evening all and thanks again for all the views. Really helps put all options into context.

TG