I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Why has my Zoladex been stopped?

User
Posted 11 Jul 2019 at 11:55

When I was diagnosed in Jan 2018, my consultant radiologist told me I would need to be on Zoladex for 3 years minimum and that the treatment would help 'mop up' cells that had escaped outside the capsule (Gleason 9 but not contained). When I saw my consultant urologist last week he said I should cease Zoladex treatment (after only 18 months) now because there is a link to underlying heart problems. I have recently had 3 stents fitted but my heart problems go way back before my cancer. When I queried this and told him what his colleague had said, he brushed this off completely, saying Zoladex did not mop up anything and stopping it would have no effect whatsoever. Obviously, I am concerned that I have been given 2 very different opinions but my main concern is that if Zoladex has no effect on prostate cancer, why on earth is it still being prescibed. I wonder if anyone can shed any light on this.

User
Posted 11 Jul 2019 at 12:48
Hi Mitch,

I can’t throw any light on your situation, David was Gleason 9 Tb3 locally advanced, he had three years Prostrap as he was told this was the best option for his “curative path” He has no history of heart problems and he is fairly fit. You could always ask for a second opinion of trends and practice do change with medical advances.

David has completed 3yrs HT, he also had HDR Brachytherapy and 5 weeks of RT. When he came off the HT his PSA was 0.1 for a year, his last PSA was 0.2 and we are hoping to get a low score tomorrow when we get his results ( fingers more than crossed) I’ve come to the conclusion consultants all have their own opinions and many differ, it does not seem to be a consistent approach.

David is a bit wobbly pre PSA, so am I, but on the whole we get on with life! But have the three month PSA stress, which seems pretty general.

Hope this helps a bit.

Leila

User
Posted 11 Jul 2019 at 14:24
Research just allows the medics to move forward with their understanding of what is 'best'. Until very recently, men had RT with 6 months hormone treatment but then some research concluded that 18 months was better. Then some oncos moved on to 3 years on the understanding that the likelihood of remission was greater the longer the HT was persisted with. Research data published in 2018 suggested that the extra time makes no difference so the recommendation has gone back to 18 months.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 11 Jul 2019 at 17:20
My oh has just been told he will be on it for life so I am a bit more confused now - will learn more at next appointment.
User
Posted 11 Jul 2019 at 18:41
People who are on curative RT / HT combo only have the HT for a limited time. Men who are incurable will need HT for life although some are able to have short hormone holidays (aka intermittent hormone therapy)
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 25 Jul 2019 at 12:06
I have also been told Zoladex 3 monthly for life and no other treatment!
User
Posted 25 Jul 2019 at 13:07

Rabbit,

That's for a different treatment path than Mitch.

In your case, it means they can't get rid of the cancer, so the Zoladex is to hold it in check.