Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Finasteride and hair loss

User
Posted 11 Jul 2019 at 15:52

Hello all,

I was diagnosed with Prostate Cancer in May 2010 and was treated with Zoladex injections every week until March 2016, with a 'bout' of radio-therapy in Mar-May 2014. Since then, I have been discharged from the care of my oncologist and my PSA levels are monitored on a six monthly basis via my GP. All has been well...and for this I am very, very grateful.

I have a colleague who had thinning hair but I noticed recently that much of this had re-grown! When I asked him how this had happened, he said he had been taking Finasteride @ 12-15 months ago. As I have the same problem, I wondered if such a treatment would work for me BUT when I looked into this (online), it seems that this is NOT recommended for men who have had prostate cancer. Does anyone know the reason for this???

Thanks - Dave Evans

User
Posted 11 Jul 2019 at 16:21

I'm not familiar with finasteride, but this was on a medical website I looked at.  Some of the more scientifically minded members may be able to explain why.

Finasteride is not approved for prevention of prostate cancer. It may slightly increase the risk of developing a very serious form of prostate cancer. Talk to your doctor about the benefits and risks.

User
Posted 11 Jul 2019 at 19:42

Looks like it's a mild anti-androgen, although it doesn't work the same way as bicalutamide.

Men on ADT (HT or castration) can find ADT reverses baldness, so this is not surprising.

I did read on a US forum that one guy who got his hair back on HT decided to stay on HT to keep his hair, even after it was no longer required for PCa treatment.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 11 Jul 2019 at 16:21

I'm not familiar with finasteride, but this was on a medical website I looked at.  Some of the more scientifically minded members may be able to explain why.

Finasteride is not approved for prevention of prostate cancer. It may slightly increase the risk of developing a very serious form of prostate cancer. Talk to your doctor about the benefits and risks.

User
Posted 11 Jul 2019 at 19:42

Looks like it's a mild anti-androgen, although it doesn't work the same way as bicalutamide.

Men on ADT (HT or castration) can find ADT reverses baldness, so this is not surprising.

I did read on a US forum that one guy who got his hair back on HT decided to stay on HT to keep his hair, even after it was no longer required for PCa treatment.

User
Posted 12 Jul 2019 at 15:07

Thanks Ulsterman. I just wondered!