Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Declined RT because of side effects

User
Posted 15 Jul 2019 at 23:42

Hi All,

My Dad is 78 with a vast medical background with cardiology problems.

He has recently been diagnosed with curable Prostate Cancer. HT is a no go, as it’s too complicated with his current meds and he has just declined RT. He doesn’t like the possible side effects that come with.

As his fourth daughter and Mother to two of his ten grandkids, I wanted to ask anyone else out there who is on the other side of this... is it worth that risk? Are the side effects that bad?!

I struggling to get my head round this. As surely zapping this at this stage is the best way to go before in manifests itself into something worse.

Thanks.

User
Posted 16 Jul 2019 at 05:20
I’m assuming your dad has not been offered surgery ?? For RT to be curative / viable it is almost always given with HT to be honest. Even then recurrence is extremely common within 5 yrs. But many men on here have sailed through RT without the side effects being too bad. I’ve refused it too but for different reasons as I had the surgery. You may not want to hear this but maybe he is an atypical fellow who doesn’t want to end up with ED. It’s very frightening to a man
User
Posted 16 Jul 2019 at 07:24
My father-in-law was diagnosed at 79 but refused to have surgery, radiotherapy or hormones because he did not want to risk erectile dysfunction or loss of libido. His wife was 20 years younger and sex was still a very important part of their life. We weren't thrilled with his decision but we accepted that it was his right to choose.

Just because your dad is refusing the treatment doesn't necessarily mean that he will be passive in the future. I assume that urology have offered him active surveillance which will mean that his PSA is closely monitored and annual DRE and scans are provided. If something changes in the future, he can decide on treatment at that point. If he has an early stage low grade cancer, it could be 15 years before it needs treatment.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 16 Jul 2019 at 07:27
To put it bluntly, his other medical conditions will probably get him before the prostate cancer becomes a problem so it makes sense to avoid the risk of urinary incontinence, bowel problems and ED
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 16 Jul 2019 at 05:20
I’m assuming your dad has not been offered surgery ?? For RT to be curative / viable it is almost always given with HT to be honest. Even then recurrence is extremely common within 5 yrs. But many men on here have sailed through RT without the side effects being too bad. I’ve refused it too but for different reasons as I had the surgery. You may not want to hear this but maybe he is an atypical fellow who doesn’t want to end up with ED. It’s very frightening to a man
User
Posted 16 Jul 2019 at 07:21

Hi Chris,

Thanks for replying to me. What does ED mean?

Thanks.

User
Posted 16 Jul 2019 at 07:24
My father-in-law was diagnosed at 79 but refused to have surgery, radiotherapy or hormones because he did not want to risk erectile dysfunction or loss of libido. His wife was 20 years younger and sex was still a very important part of their life. We weren't thrilled with his decision but we accepted that it was his right to choose.

Just because your dad is refusing the treatment doesn't necessarily mean that he will be passive in the future. I assume that urology have offered him active surveillance which will mean that his PSA is closely monitored and annual DRE and scans are provided. If something changes in the future, he can decide on treatment at that point. If he has an early stage low grade cancer, it could be 15 years before it needs treatment.

User
Posted 16 Jul 2019 at 07:27
To put it bluntly, his other medical conditions will probably get him before the prostate cancer becomes a problem so it makes sense to avoid the risk of urinary incontinence, bowel problems and ED

User
Posted 16 Jul 2019 at 18:12

hi

sorry to hear about your dad.

what are his dx values.  ie PSA trends .  Gleason etc.

Also overall fitness and others meds he may be on ?

Regards Gordon 

User
Posted 16 Jul 2019 at 18:17
I completed a course of RT in March this year, and didn’t find it too bad at all. Four months after completing the treatment I have only very mild and infrequent side-effects remaining, except, of course, for the dry orgasms that RT inevitably causes.

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 16 Jul 2019 at 21:23

Ali

Although very rare salvage RT did have a very adverse effect on my bladder and I will have a bag for life.

Thanks Chris