I'm sure this topic has come up many times before, but all new to me! Some of you might find it useful as some of my numbers don't add up..... apologies if a bit long winded, but any advice appreciated. (I have read loads on here already and find it useful) here goes:-
Grandfather died from PC, and Father has had it diagnosed at the age of 75 and been treated with RT and Ht and is in remission with some side effects.
I was a top level competing cyclist until recently, (retired now) and I still cycle thousands of miles on the bike at a high standard.
I went for my 1st psa test aged 49, and then followed it 6 months later with an examination - all good. (I never had one above 1.3)
went for psa followed by exam every 6 months until I became ill in 2017 (unrelated viral infection) so missed a couple of checks.
when everything settled again after my illness, I noticed blood in my semen, (early 2018) so I went for a check up with GP who noticed a small lump (very small- it was that small that follow up struggled to find it)
So here started the investigations...
note:-Psa no higher than 1.3 anytime even riding the bike to blood clinic.
Urologist struggled to find the lump, but confirmed and things progressed rapidly, MRI scan next day! which showed the abnormality, (but no obvious breakout) so was referred for TRUS biopsy.
TRUS biopsy all negative, and in the follow up with consultant I was ready to let it lie and 'keep an eye on it' but after a bit of a discussion he steered me towards template biopsy just to be 100% sure.
So on Monday this week I went fairly confidently for the results, only to be told it was a positive, but nothing to worry about:- 1 biopsy out of 30, Gleason 3+3.
so in terms of catching it early, its the earliest of early!
Specialist nurse was great and explained all the 3 options with a mild suggestion of AS. which seemed a good option at the time, but I think I was in a bit of shock...
nobody will tell you which option is best for you as everyone is different.
I would imagine most of you will have had similar reactions when it starts to sink in, and I have been reading all the facts from the toolkit and the leaflets that she gave me, gathering the facts. I rang her today explained that I was struggling to decide which route to take and asked loads of questions, outcome of which is I have been referred for discussion with surgeon and oncologist.
I have a good idea which way I am going to go but I won't say until I've heard your comments, and I will say later.
A few key facts in here for me that anyone wondering about getting checked should consider:-
1. psa test on its own is not conclusive (i think fairly well known now but not pushed enough)
2. TRUS biopsy can be inconclusive.
3. I would imagine my case is fairly rare.
I'm fairly positive at this point and I have to say all medical staff have been amazing, but I have also been very proactive myself and i'm sure this helps.
Hope this makes sense and some of you will find it useful, and do I need to post it in another category?
let me know your thoughts.....