Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Post prostate surgery 4/5 weeks

User
Posted 20 Jul 2019 at 22:12

Hi all,

has any one who has had robotic prostate surgery, suffered blood in their urine for the first time 4 to 5 weeks after

their surgery, as if there was a blood clot in their urinary tract after constipation like straining?

would lie to know if it is normal?

regards

keith

User
Posted 21 Jul 2019 at 06:17
I would suggest this is completely normal and the clot (s) will be dark brown as it is old blood.

If you look at your external puncture wounds, you can see them slowly healing. The healing inside is probably at the same rate.

Cheers, John.
User
Posted 21 Jul 2019 at 07:16
I had a massive bleed 4 weeks post op. Over filled my bladder and then it happened. Stopped over the next three wees. I must have shifted a clot
User
Posted 21 Jul 2019 at 20:25

hi Keith 

Have you been playing golf ? πŸ˜‰

Are you constipated still ?

If it's just a once off.   ie couple of days at most.  No worries otherwise ring urologist / GP.

<2mm clots or fresh blood drips ? Source has to be the join, still take it easy for 2 months at least. Keep hydrated and I'm sure it will be fine. 

I passed some debris and a hemolok clip, however no blood I could see.  That occurred after a long walk, very full bladder. Bursting to go .

Gordon 

User
Posted 21 Jul 2019 at 21:48
Mine was due to 4 pints of St Miguel and then a 3 mile walk home :-))
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 21 Jul 2019 at 06:17
I would suggest this is completely normal and the clot (s) will be dark brown as it is old blood.

If you look at your external puncture wounds, you can see them slowly healing. The healing inside is probably at the same rate.

Cheers, John.
User
Posted 21 Jul 2019 at 06:59
Hope so John, it was such a shock for it to happen last night after nothing post op in the previous 4 and a half weeks.
Cheers, Keith
User
Posted 21 Jul 2019 at 07:16
I had a massive bleed 4 weeks post op. Over filled my bladder and then it happened. Stopped over the next three wees. I must have shifted a clot
User
Posted 21 Jul 2019 at 15:12
Thanks Chris, for the reassurance hope everything else went ok.
Not sure I would like that particular lemonade though πŸ˜ƒ
User
Posted 21 Jul 2019 at 20:25

hi Keith 

Have you been playing golf ? πŸ˜‰

Are you constipated still ?

If it's just a once off.   ie couple of days at most.  No worries otherwise ring urologist / GP.

<2mm clots or fresh blood drips ? Source has to be the join, still take it easy for 2 months at least. Keep hydrated and I'm sure it will be fine. 

I passed some debris and a hemolok clip, however no blood I could see.  That occurred after a long walk, very full bladder. Bursting to go .

Gordon 

User
Posted 21 Jul 2019 at 21:38
Hi alll,
Managed to talk to a clinical nurse on the Florence ward I was in for one night.
The nurse said it was common especially if I was straining at the time, as long as the bleeding does not persist it should be fine.
Yes Gordon have played a couple of holes nothing too energetic, a slow and smoothe swing seems to work for meπŸ˜‰.
Do I know you Gordon?
Keith
User
Posted 21 Jul 2019 at 21:48
Mine was due to 4 pints of St Miguel and then a 3 mile walk home :-))
User
Posted 21 Jul 2019 at 23:22

hi Keith.

no.

You have golf in your profile, and I guessed you couldn't resist 

the walk and hole 19.  good news.  not too much swinging.  πŸ˜‰

User
Posted 07 Dec 2019 at 15:49

This happened to me . My catheter was removed 7 days after robotic laparascopic prostatectomy. All went reasonably well until 3 weeks after   the surgery when I peed a dark red feathery clot and urine was slightly pink.  As it happens I had consultant follow up the next day and of course mentioned it. He said it was common and that in fact they should put it into the notes they give to all patients. The explanation was the wound is healing and scabs are coming off. Long scabs are typical of where urethra has been rejoined.

Then the next day it started happening more. This became quite scary as at one point the  clots were big enough to hold up urine flow for a few seconds and I even went back to the hospital  as it is an hour away and I feared a real blockage.  But fortunately the pressure from a full bladder was enough and they didn't need to do anything, and  it cleared up for the night. I had several instances of clots and pinkish urine off and on over next 3 or 4 days. My consultant also  advised I could stop blood thinning injections (Fragmin) early (after 24 injections from a course of 28). Anyway it stopped and no recurrence (I'm now at 9 weeks post-op). 

Gerard