Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Hernia Question

User
Posted 24 Jul 2019 at 17:53

Hello Everybody

This is my second attempt at a first post, so hopefully I dont get "access denied" with this one!  My partner was recently diagnosed with locally advanced pca and we are waiting for an appointment to see the oncologist, which will be in about 8 weeks time.  He also has a groin hernia, and the urology consultant has told him to go ahead and get it fixed asap.

He's willing to pay for it privately as the waiting list is very long, but that's where we've drawn a blank.  Two private hospitals have told him that he can see a consultant no problem, but they wouldn't be willing to do any surgery until "any cancer treatment is finished" which I'm guessing could be never!  Neither of them could tell me why - just that they don't do it!

He's currently taking Bicalutamide, and as of yesterday has a Goserelin implant, and the urologist has said that once referred, oncology may give radiotherapy for bone mets.

I just wanted to ask if anybody else had any experience of having a hernia operation while on meds - ironically the hernia is causing him more problems than the pca or side effects of medication at the moment so it would be a great boost to get some quality of life back!

Thanks in advance. 

User
Posted 24 Jul 2019 at 21:26
Why isn't the urology consultant doing it? Seems to me he is being a bit naughty suggesting you get it done elsewhere. Waiting lists can be amended and jumped for a patient with competing health conditions.

Not sure the reluctance is anything to do with the medication; they are probably concerned that if the cancer progressed rapidly you might try to claim it was their fault for operating near an active cancer.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 24 Jul 2019 at 22:56
Ah good point, thank you. He just said "yes get it done as soon as poss" and we just assumed that the NHS would be the longest option. I'm waiting for a call back from the Macmillan nurse so I'll ask her about that possibility. Thanks for the reply!