I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Looking for advice for my parents.

User
Posted 25 Jul 2019 at 15:10

Hello everyone, I'm new and looking for advice ( as it says 😆)

My dad was diagnosed last December, age 77, stage 4,  Gleason 9, widespread bone mets. Despite having a heart condition (A.F) and previous stroke,he  was a very fit active man. His PSA was 54 initially. He had no treatment options due to his other health issues and the spread of the PC except Zoladex,which he's been getting since. The lowest his PSA has dropped to is 2.6.

Since June he's had several urine infections and intermittent retentions requiring catheterisation, his PSA has started to rise which we hoped was down to this. However he's not had an infection or catheter for almost 4 weeks now and his PSA has continued to rise. It's now 19. At his hospital appointment on Tuesday they felt he needed another drug to be started to work with the Zoladex, I wasn't there so not sure what it is.

He has never seen an oncologist as they felt there was no need as chemo/radiotherapy wouldn't be given.

Just looking to see if anyone else who has had a similar story. Are we looking at failure of treatment? If so, what other options does he have left ☚ī¸

He has lost weight since diagnosis but actually has stabilised and despite the pain from his bones ( he's on fentanyl patches) he's still trying to be active and is managing. Him and my mum want answers I can't give so I thought I'd try here x

User
Posted 26 Jul 2019 at 01:45
It sounds like they suspect his cancer has become castrate resistant (aka hormone independent); that means the cancer has learned to survive without testosterone. They may be planning to add bicalutimide, a drug which disguises any spare testosterone and which your dad probably had for 4 weeks when he was first diagnosed. Or they may be planning to add abiraterone or enzalutimide, both of which help the hormone treatment to work better.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 26 Jul 2019 at 08:34
Noting that not all hospitals have this kind of macmillan service.

Dad should have been allocated a named urology nurse of some kind though. Quality varies; in 10 years we have never met John's or had any of our calls returned.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard