I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

No deodorant!

User
Posted 26 Jul 2019 at 08:13

I just think it's amazing that I don't need any deordorant even in this super hot weather.

Gotta make the best of the beneficial side effects of HT...

User
Posted 27 Jul 2019 at 03:49
Surprised. I thought everybody perspires (even with HT) or is it just because you are moving very slowly between ablutions?

NB. I remember advice not to use scented soap during RT course.

Barry
User
Posted 27 Jul 2019 at 05:47

I haven’t needed deodorant in months.  I still sweat, but very little, and it doesn’t smell.  A few others have commented on this in a bicalutimide thread.  I don’t understand the science behind it.

User
Posted 27 Jul 2019 at 07:01

Still sweat just as much, particularly arm pits, but it has no smell whatsoever.

I discovered this by accident. Going through my pile of worn T-shirts, doing the sniff test and checking for visible dirt, to decide if they can be worn again or need washing. After around 4 weeks, it dawned on me none of them had been directed to the washing pile. I tried not using deodorant which would normally be completely unacceptable for me (I can't stand the smell of bad BO, particularly mine), and it made no difference. I then tried an experiment - wore a T-shirt for about 5 days, day and night, and whilst cycling - it got soaked in sweat several times. Gave it to my sister-in-law to check, and she confirmed no smell. Up to that point, it could have been I'd lost my sense of smell for my own BO, but that wasn't it, and I can still smell other peoples' BO.

It was 13 weeks into using bicalutamide when I noticed this. It would have happened sooner, but it wasn't a side effect I'd ever heard of before, so I wasn't looking out for it. It has continued since I switched to Zoladex.

It's not surprising if you think about it. BO appears at puberty when your sweat glands start producing nutrients for bacteria.

On the RT front, 3 weeks in, and I can't see any mark or change on my skin where the RT beam enters/leaves. On the two very hot days, I did put factor 30 in a band around there, as the sun was probably powerful enough to get a reasonable amount through a T-shirt. Our advice was to avoid fancy and scented soaps/products and any additives to bath water, to avoid prolonged soaking, and to bath/shower in cooler water than you normally do. For now, I've stuck with Dove bodywash which is what I've used for years and is not scented. Avoid swimming (prolonged soaking and chlorine in the case of swimming pools).

Edited by member 27 Jul 2019 at 09:02  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 27 Jul 2019 at 07:51
Your right about the B.O. thing Andy but flying insects seem to make a bee line for me .We just had a little camping trip and the bloody wasps woudnt leave me alone ,horse flies mosquitoes all queuing up to have ago at me .least i don't smell
User
Posted 27 Jul 2019 at 08:20

I'm not sure which biting insects use BO to home-in on targets.

Infrared body heat and carbon dioxide you breath out are used by many insects.

Maybe hot flushes make you more vulnerable 😡

User
Posted 27 Jul 2019 at 08:47

Hi Andy, 

I seem to have a very poor sense of smell now days. 

Not sure if that's due to the Zoladex or maybe a combination of all the medications I'm having to take for my cancer and my heart condition.

I haven't noticed if my sweat smells but I'm sure my wife would.  I'll have to try wearing the same t-shirt for a few days and see whether or not I'm allowed in the house!

Steve 

User
Posted 27 Jul 2019 at 09:51
John never used to sweat anywhere except his back, even during a rugby match. Since HT, he sweats all over ... armpits, chest, arms, back, face, neck. Lying next to him in bed is often unpleasant as the bedding gets soaked.

He has never used deodorant in his life and I have never known him to smell of BO .... I have spent 35 years moaning that he wears the same thing over and over again!

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 05 Sep 2019 at 06:31
You still sweat but all those pheromones and other manly chemicals that make you pong when they go off are no longer produced when on HT.

User
Posted 05 Sep 2019 at 12:16

I stopped bicalutimide a few weeks ago.  Still not sweating as much as pre-HT but definitely not as tired as I was.

Ulsterman