I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Post op PSA “rise”

User
Posted 26 Jul 2019 at 13:09

R.P. in Feb 2018, consistent < 0.03 measurements til today, when I had a reading of 0.03, measurable  as far as I am aware at the very lowest integer of sensitivity.

Was on 6 month cycle of tests , now Nurse has put me on 3 month tests.

Dissapointed, and fearing that now, a biological recurrence is beginning.

Just looking for some perspective...

(Gleason was 3 plus 4, cancer contained within the capsule)

User
Posted 26 Jul 2019 at 18:32

Did you have your PSA tested at the same lab? Or is 0.03 the lowest this lab goes down to?

You also need to think that your previous <0.03 may actually have been a reading of 0.029 so this rise may just be a rise of 0.001 which is pretty insignificant. Variations at those levels can occur for many reasons  eg the testing equipment may have been recalibrated, did you have sex or vigerous exercise 48 hours before your test etc

A biochemical recurrence is usually three consecutive rises but getting to a reading of 0.2.  I was 0.12 at my last test so they suspect I may have had a recurrence  

Bri

User
Posted 27 Jul 2019 at 14:41

Antony, I had the same type of questions 3 months ago when my test jumped from 0.01 to 0.03. This week another test showed 0.02.

0.03 is still low and you shouldn-t be worrying about this.

Take care, Paulo

User
Posted 26 Jul 2019 at 21:45

Some say that 0.03 is the lowest level to exclude most natural fluctuations.   Many hospitals use much higher levels up to 0.1,

If it was at a GP they sometimes do miss off the < sign and I'd query about the original lab report.   It happened to me at the one test I had the GP.

I think I'd be wanting a 2nd psa test although on the other hand it's pretty low and if it came up as <0.03 it could leave doubts in your mind whether it's 0.29.   So you might want a 3rd test and so on.

I also think that if I had another test, even if in 3 months, I'd be on my very best behaviour in the weeks before.  No alcohol, no stimulations, no excessive activity.   Hoping that might have the very small effect to get it back under.

It is pretty low at 0.03 but I'd be wanting to know more in the hope it was a temporary blip or bad reading.  So I'd perhaps wait a few weeks and ask for another test to see if it's moved.  Not that it's likely to do any good as they don't usually do anything till it reaches 0.1 and keeps rising.  All the best.

User
Posted 28 Jul 2019 at 00:52
My billion-pound super-hospital here in Coventry, only tests to <0.1, so if you had all your tests here you would be blissfully ignorant with undetectable PSA.

Best of luck.

Cheers, John.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 26 Jul 2019 at 18:32

Did you have your PSA tested at the same lab? Or is 0.03 the lowest this lab goes down to?

You also need to think that your previous <0.03 may actually have been a reading of 0.029 so this rise may just be a rise of 0.001 which is pretty insignificant. Variations at those levels can occur for many reasons  eg the testing equipment may have been recalibrated, did you have sex or vigerous exercise 48 hours before your test etc

A biochemical recurrence is usually three consecutive rises but getting to a reading of 0.2.  I was 0.12 at my last test so they suspect I may have had a recurrence  

Bri

User
Posted 26 Jul 2019 at 21:45

Some say that 0.03 is the lowest level to exclude most natural fluctuations.   Many hospitals use much higher levels up to 0.1,

If it was at a GP they sometimes do miss off the < sign and I'd query about the original lab report.   It happened to me at the one test I had the GP.

I think I'd be wanting a 2nd psa test although on the other hand it's pretty low and if it came up as <0.03 it could leave doubts in your mind whether it's 0.29.   So you might want a 3rd test and so on.

I also think that if I had another test, even if in 3 months, I'd be on my very best behaviour in the weeks before.  No alcohol, no stimulations, no excessive activity.   Hoping that might have the very small effect to get it back under.

It is pretty low at 0.03 but I'd be wanting to know more in the hope it was a temporary blip or bad reading.  So I'd perhaps wait a few weeks and ask for another test to see if it's moved.  Not that it's likely to do any good as they don't usually do anything till it reaches 0.1 and keeps rising.  All the best.

User
Posted 27 Jul 2019 at 14:41

Antony, I had the same type of questions 3 months ago when my test jumped from 0.01 to 0.03. This week another test showed 0.02.

0.03 is still low and you shouldn-t be worrying about this.

Take care, Paulo

User
Posted 28 Jul 2019 at 00:52
My billion-pound super-hospital here in Coventry, only tests to <0.1, so if you had all your tests here you would be blissfully ignorant with undetectable PSA.

Best of luck.

Cheers, John.