I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Bleeding form the penis

User
Posted 27 Jul 2019 at 12:24

I was diagnosed with Prostate cancer 7 years ago, had radiotherapy november/december 2017 and 2 years Decapeptyl hormone injections starting in June 2017 until March this year. During the radiotherapy I was passing blood when urinating and was told this was normal. However this is still happening occasionally but appears to be from my penis not my bladder. Does anyone know if this is normal?

User
Posted 27 Jul 2019 at 13:47
What makes you think it is blood from the penis rather than the bladder? How / when is it presenting?
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 27 Jul 2019 at 13:50

If it's from your urethra inside the prostate or the bladder, I think it's not unexpected due to blood vessels which were damaged by the RT failing, but you should still get it checked out. If it's really from the penis or urethra inside the penis, that should have got very little RT dose (no entry wound, and extremely small exit wound), and I think that would not be expected.

Bleed

User
Posted 27 Jul 2019 at 14:23

The blood is only present at the very beginning of urinating then when I need to go again my penis and the inside of my foreskin is covered in blood or dried blood as are my underpants.

User
Posted 27 Jul 2019 at 14:54

So it's probably coming from prostate, or urethra just below the lower sphincter.

This would not be surprising as a result of RT damage to blood vessels, which can take 1-5 years to fail afterwards. Peak period for late bleeding from rectum is 4.5 years afterwards, which is how long those blood vessels take to fail after RT damages them.

Normally all that's required is to get the cause confirmed, and if it is this, no treatment is necessary in the case of rectum - it fixes itself. I don't know as much about it when it's the urethra, but it's probably similar.

In any case get it checked out, just to confirm it's not something more serious.

User
Posted 27 Jul 2019 at 18:02

Hi Dave 

I don't bleed when I urinate , but when I do a number 2 I bleed dark red which sometimes forms a clot which can prevent me having a wee, then I have to use a catheter to clear it , I am also incontinate and have been now for about four years 
Good luck mate 

User
Posted 27 Jul 2019 at 23:27

Dave

My bladder has been damaged by RT, within months of completing SRT I was passing very large and numerous blood clots along with all sorts of debris. Of course if in doubt get it checked out.

Thanks Chris