I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Anaesthetics

User
Posted 28 Jul 2019 at 15:21

Now been booked for a TURP operation to "help improve the waterworks for my forthcoming radiotherapy (my surgeon's words). As I may have a choice between either a General or a Regional anaesthetic, just wondered if anyone had views/advice either way please ?

User
Posted 28 Jul 2019 at 21:17
As a total coward, I’d always go for the general. I don’t want to be “aware” of any surgical procedure.

Cheers,

Chris

User
Posted 28 Jul 2019 at 21:29
Regional plus sedation is a good method. That’s how I had a wisdom tooth out and didn’t remember a thing!
User
Posted 28 Jul 2019 at 22:23

DB

Can't give you a comparison between the two options but I love having GA. My Father in law had region anesthetic for a knee replacement and was disappointed they put a screen up so he couldn't see the op. Good luck with the procedure. Thanks Chris

User
Posted 29 Jul 2019 at 01:35
So far to date I've had three procedures carried out with a spinal anesthetic (HoLEP, bladder stone removal and kidney stone removal) and everything went smoothly with all of them.

Recovery was trouble free and although complete recovery of lower limb control and return of sensation takes a couple of hours, the whole process makes for a less risky option than a GA and altogether more comfortable.

Add to this, being able to watch on a seperate screen what the surgeon sees on his screen as the procedure progresses is awesome and I found the surgeons most amenable to explaining what they do at each stage.

I know I'm going to need a hip replacement at some time in the future and I'm going to opt for a "spinal" for that procedure as well.

Good luck with whatever choice you make.

Roger
User
Posted 10 Oct 2019 at 18:15
It sounds as though it went reasonable well for you John but I must confess I have never suffered a headache during or after the procedure.

Did you have a warm air blanket covering you during the procedure? First time I had a spinal I started shivering quite severely which does affect many patients and the warm air soon sorts that out. If you did have a warm air blanket, perhaps the combination of this and a sedative sent you to the land of nod. I kept wide awake with all three of my procedures so I could watch the "show" on the screens the surgeons kindly sent up for me to observe progress and allow them to give me a running commentary.

Unfortunately, strictures are sometimes an inevitable consequence of passing instruments and catheters through the urethra and as long as they don't interfere with the flow of urine to much, they aren't much of an issue unless you have more procedures and the surgeon finds some difficulty passing instruments passed them.

Hope you recovery goes smoothly.

Roger
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 28 Jul 2019 at 21:17
As a total coward, I’d always go for the general. I don’t want to be “aware” of any surgical procedure.

Cheers,

Chris

User
Posted 28 Jul 2019 at 21:29
Regional plus sedation is a good method. That’s how I had a wisdom tooth out and didn’t remember a thing!
User
Posted 28 Jul 2019 at 22:23

DB

Can't give you a comparison between the two options but I love having GA. My Father in law had region anesthetic for a knee replacement and was disappointed they put a screen up so he couldn't see the op. Good luck with the procedure. Thanks Chris

User
Posted 29 Jul 2019 at 01:35
So far to date I've had three procedures carried out with a spinal anesthetic (HoLEP, bladder stone removal and kidney stone removal) and everything went smoothly with all of them.

Recovery was trouble free and although complete recovery of lower limb control and return of sensation takes a couple of hours, the whole process makes for a less risky option than a GA and altogether more comfortable.

Add to this, being able to watch on a seperate screen what the surgeon sees on his screen as the procedure progresses is awesome and I found the surgeons most amenable to explaining what they do at each stage.

I know I'm going to need a hip replacement at some time in the future and I'm going to opt for a "spinal" for that procedure as well.

Good luck with whatever choice you make.

Roger
User
Posted 10 Oct 2019 at 17:49

I've just had a TURP procedure, stricture enlarging in the urethra and bladder neck incision.
I had a spinal block. I remember having the injection, being wheeled into theatre, then the sedative must have taken over as the next thing I remember was waking up in recovery with dead legs. If I remained awake I don't remember it. My legs returned to normal and apart from a headache common with this method a spinal block. 
The only thing that surprised me was the size of the catheter! It has to be big because they also use a bladdr wash but I was amazed it fitted! :)

User
Posted 10 Oct 2019 at 18:15
It sounds as though it went reasonable well for you John but I must confess I have never suffered a headache during or after the procedure.

Did you have a warm air blanket covering you during the procedure? First time I had a spinal I started shivering quite severely which does affect many patients and the warm air soon sorts that out. If you did have a warm air blanket, perhaps the combination of this and a sedative sent you to the land of nod. I kept wide awake with all three of my procedures so I could watch the "show" on the screens the surgeons kindly sent up for me to observe progress and allow them to give me a running commentary.

Unfortunately, strictures are sometimes an inevitable consequence of passing instruments and catheters through the urethra and as long as they don't interfere with the flow of urine to much, they aren't much of an issue unless you have more procedures and the surgeon finds some difficulty passing instruments passed them.

Hope you recovery goes smoothly.

Roger
User
Posted 11 Oct 2019 at 12:56

I would go for general, had local for my first prostate biopsy, and don’t think they got the right spot, as it was the worst pain I have ever felt, good luck with it all 

gary