I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Early days after surgery. Some questions

User
Posted 01 Aug 2019 at 21:34

Hello. My husband is having surgery to remove the prostate. How best can I support him once he is back home? What must he be doing or not doing? I know he cannot lift anything for several weeks. I’m thinking about exercise and activity as I know he needs to move around, but how much? I’m sure any discomfort will dictate initially. I’m still getting my head round all this and the more I read the more diverse the experiences for everyone. I know he will have a catheter. How restrictive will this be for him? Is there anything I should be on the lookout for? Hopefully the nurses will tell me before he is discharged. We have started stocking up on incontinenece pads! Will he need these also or at night? I know his experience will be unique for him but any tips for the early days after surgery would be really welcome.  Should he be able to walk out of hospital from the ward to the car park? It’s a long walk. Thank you and sorry for all the questions. 

User
Posted 02 Aug 2019 at 23:47
Hi Waffles

For me it’s now been 10 months since surgery. So far all good and now starting to really focus on the ED stuff. The support from my local NHS has been fantastic.

What can you do for your husband. Be patient. My wife has been great. The actual physical recovery for me was quick I had robotic surgery - 3 to 4 weeks later no discomfort and no pads. But for me, the mental side of having cancer and loosing my manhood made be nervous and uncertain - especially during that initial period where you don’t do much. Gentle walks during this period with my wife was excellent therapy. I had more challenges with the mental side than the physical stuff. For instance I didn’t know how this was going to effect me. I am also the sort of guy that doesn’t talk about my ‘private’ bits and certainly not public discussions on getting an erection. So for the wife or partner my advice is to be conscious of this change and be a good listener above all. The notion I may not have a proper erection again nags at me. I now have a ED pump still very early days with this. My wife supported my decisions around ED and didn’t nag me. She attended all my appointments with me and helped by asking good questions or reminding me of questions I forgot. But she was never over bearing. I respected her for that and that made me feel better. A win for everyone!!!

And finally guys be patient with your wives. They’re only trying to help. I reckon (for me) a happy wife is a happy recovery.

User
Posted 02 Aug 2019 at 11:32

The day after my op I was completing a lap of the dining room table every couple of hours, after a week I was managing to the end of the garden and back, after two weeks the end of the road and back (about 1/2 mile) and by six weeks I was walking 5 miles every day. Build up slowly a little more each day.   Good Luck

User
Posted 01 Aug 2019 at 21:34

Hello. My husband is having surgery to remove the prostate. How best can I support him once he is back home? What must he be doing or not doing? I know he cannot lift anything for several weeks. I’m thinking about exercise and activity as I know he needs to move around, but how much? I’m sure any discomfort will dictate initially. I’m still getting my head round all this and the more I read the more diverse the experiences for everyone. I know he will have a catheter. How restrictive will this be for him? Is there anything I should be on the lookout for? Hopefully the nurses will tell me before he is discharged. We have started stocking up on incontinenece pads! Will he need these also or at night? I know his experience will be unique for him but any tips for the early days after surgery would be really welcome.  Should he be able to walk out of hospital from the ward to the car park? It’s a long walk. Thank you and sorry for all the questions. 

User
Posted 01 Aug 2019 at 22:25

Just take it easy and comply with the instructions from the hospital!

Oh and have lots of sex  it before the op cos it aint gonna be the same after!

User
Posted 01 Aug 2019 at 22:29

Waffles

With a catheter in there is still a chance of leaking , normally called "by passing "urine is forced out between the outside of the catheter and the urethra, can be uncomfortable. Take a towel to put on the car seat just in case, more important when he has his catheter removed in a few days. Walking to the car will be individual to him , possibly get a hospital wheel chair. 

Make sure he doesn't get constipation, it is important not to force compacted motions past his newly joined urethra. Remember some painkillers can cause constipation. Get some instilagel or hydrocaine, it is a lubricant , anesthetic and antiseptic, it is used to prevent soreness caused by the catheter rubbing the eye of the penis. 

Keep him mobile but don't let him run any marathons.

Get some rubber gloves if you are going to attach and remove his night bag. Listen to what the nurses tell you but mostly the night bag connects to the tap of the leg/day bag. Get you head around how the taps work, nothing worse than disconnecting a pipe and getting covered in urine. You could stand the night bag stand in a bowl or bucket.

Keep him hydrated. Blood in urine can look alarming rosê is considered normal red is cause for concern. If in doubt get advice from your medical team.

Hope all goes well.

Thanks Chris.

Edited by member 01 Aug 2019 at 22:32  | Reason: Spelling

User
Posted 01 Aug 2019 at 23:40

As the surgeon has stitched his urethra onto his bladder it's better to take it easy and not do anything to strain it.  Using the stitches on his stomach as a guide to how healing is going.

Having a catheter allows experiences you don't normally get.  You don't go to the loo, you do it when needed.  Even when sitting in a neighbours having a cup of tea.  I haven't told any of the neighbours so it seemed a bit amusing to me.

Going out for a walk just after removal of the catheter I thought I was doing well till there was a very wet feeling down my leg.  You don't realise you leak while walking in the early days.  I hadn't got a spare pad so we put a plastic bag on the car seat and went home.  My wife did the driving for a few weeks.  

There was never any leaking at night.  The leaking started later and later in the day till it went away and it went quite suddenly leaving me with a lot of pads.

Continence was the biggest thing and after 6 months was very good.  Although after two years and eight months ED is improving but not over clever.

Me and my wife don't talk much about it and I live as if it didn't happen, and have told no-one.

User
Posted 02 Aug 2019 at 01:00
Clarify with the hospital whether they will provide him with some local anaesthetic gel for the eye of his penis. If not, buy some from the chemist as the catheter tube can rub and make him quite sore.

There is a shopping list on here somewhere but things that come immediately to mind:

- a bucket to stand the night bag in

- jogging bottoms or loose shorts in a dark colour, ideally with a draw-cord waist band rather than elasticated (sweatshirt type material will be most comfy)

- pants (not boxers) in a size larger than he usually takes - his genitals may be very swollen afterwards and will need the support

- a waterproof sheet (Dunelm make some that don't feel like rubber) or some puppy training pads from the local pet store

- a cushion (for his belly when coughing or straining at the loo)

And definitely have lots of sex before the op.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 02 Aug 2019 at 11:18
I had my operation in May.

Would recommend getting hold of some Laxido and start taking straight after the operation. Better to take it before feeling constipated and be prepared for it to take a few days before his bowels settle down.

The nursing staff stressed the importance of being mobile after the op. Walk a little every day, and every day try to walk a little further. First few days was just walking around the house, but it's worth it.

I found a (sensible) combination of paracetamol and ibuprofen sufficient to control the pain/discomfort. But be prepared for some discomfort in the stomach and shoulders - something to do with pumping the stomach full of gas.

User
Posted 02 Aug 2019 at 12:58
Above responses assume that you are having keyhole surgery. If you are having open RP, the recovery time will be significantly longer but you don't get filled with gas.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 02 Aug 2019 at 14:35
You can read my contemporaneous musings about my prostatectomy over a year ago below. My post-operative situation may or not be typical, but I like to think I had a brilliant surgeon and I hope your surgery is just as successful.

Best of luck!

Cheers, John.

https://community.prostatecanceruk.org/posts/t16224-Retzius-Sparing-Laparoscopic-Radical-Prostatectomy

User
Posted 02 Aug 2019 at 21:59
I think different hospitals do things differently. However the laxido is cheaper to buy rather than on prescription. Unless you have the free prescription card. (Anyone with a cancer diagnosis can get one from their GP in case you don’t know).

Showering was fine, but of a faff with the bag but ok if you fit a hook to hang it off.

User
Posted 02 Aug 2019 at 22:42

Hi there 

I hope the operation went well for your husband. Also hoping that you are coping as well as can be.

Please remember to ask the nurses tomorrow for some spare catheter Velcro straps, because when your husband has a shower you can swap them for the dry ones and then put the wet ones out to dry.

if you haven’t already done so, get a memory foam orthopaedic donut seating cushion which will help enormously when husband is sitting down. 

Reading the posts, it looks like you’ve been receiving lots of good advice.

keep your chin up and keep positive. 

Best wishes to you both 

User
Posted 03 Aug 2019 at 20:53

I managed to drink lots of fluid after the operation. He needs to keep hydrated but if the catheter bag is filling up that’s good.

Ido4

User
Posted 03 Aug 2019 at 23:28

hi

all the very best.   hopefully he's up and about and not in bed during day.  Do keep hydrated , water is ideal. ie not excessive caffeine, co2, alcohol. 

also laxative , I took no pain relief as didn't need it . worse experience was constipation. 

Do keep  wounds, dressings ? dry.   yes although I was actually quite mobile, I moved incredibly slowly for 2 or 3 days.  it's getting up and down was the most awkward. I sat on a cushion  on a high kitchen stool rather than low down in a sofa.

I'm sure you are doing well,  you will soon find things improve dramatically ..  especially when catheter is removed.  

finally.   urine colour should .. be like white wine.. 😀 a good indicator that throughput is ok.   again it depends on how hot and exercise he's doing.

there's should not be much leakage or anything around catheter..  the tubes. ensure at night they are free and urine can flow easily..     I remember one night my night bag was completely full when we woke up and when emptied the ordinary bag soon filled.. so obviously my bladder was filling also.  

I can't think of much else or tips.   I had no swelling other than belly which was distended for 2 weeks and a few bruises appeared on back and side of thigh. I assume from moving me in/on operating table.   

Bending to get socks on took me a while.. 

Gordon

User
Posted 04 Aug 2019 at 20:13

Hi Waffles, I had my surgery in March 2018 all I can remember about the catheter was it was a little uncomfortable at first but I gradually got used to it. However you need to get his bowel moving he dosen't need constipation as this will put a strain on his already sore stomach, also straining to go can cause issues with the catheter. As for the gas thing that will ease after a few days especially with gentle walking etc. He must not lift or carry anything heavier than a cup of tea for about six weeks and should not try driving for at least four. All I can tell you is it all gets better with time just don't let him force himself to get better just help him especially mentally as the mental healing can be just as bad as the physical.

Best wishes to both of you

User
Posted 06 Aug 2019 at 19:12
BM is probably bowel movement.

I would suggest that he should already be taking laxatives. I was given some in hospital. Lactulose for more liquid motions and Senokot senna tablets for moving it forward. The hospital prescription was 20ml Lactulose morning and evening, and 2 tablets just before bedtime. I am now 12 weeks after the operation and still suffer from constipation- I didn’t before. Initially it got better, then it was terrible so back on the laxatives. My current balance is 5ml morning and evening and1 tablet at nighttime. This after some experimentation. Initially you won’t want to stray too far from a toilet in the morning until you find how your body reacts. Everybody is different.

I am still fairly incontinent, but am learning to cope with it. Sitting and lying down is fine, but standing or walking is just constant dribbling. I am drinking a pint of water at each meal time. I was leaking fairly heavily down the side of the catheter before it was removed.

Good luck!

User
Posted 07 Aug 2019 at 15:58
This is quite normal as all his intestines will have been moved and buggered about with to allow the robotic arms unfettered access to the prostate area. Afterwards, they just chuck all the pipework back in place, and then leave nature to take its course so the intestines find their way back to their normal location.

Do persist with the stool-softening drinks such as Fybogel, together with laxatives, and as his GP says, no doubt things will resolve sooner rather than later.

Best wishes.

Cheers, John.

User
Posted 09 Aug 2019 at 11:05
Hi Waffles - I had my robotic surgery last Friday (2nd August). Most of the advice you’ve had is right on. One thing I would add is that he should adopt a position of squatting for emptying his bowel (like you would do in the countryside !) - on the Loo you can emulate this by putting a shallow stool or platform in front of the pan for your feet to rest on. I was able to make unstrained BMs this way and still do it like that - jut need a little gentle strain to get things rolling and expect a little leakage from the penis during the procedure.

On day 4 post surgery I was taken by surprise by the swelling around my penis and my scrotum which caused some discomfort - but I’ve noticed that it reduces by each morning after lying flat each night - I hoping this will dissipate in the next day or so - the whole groin and lower abdomen area is now various remarkable shades of yellow and blue !! I’m having a Cystogram on Monday followed by my catheter removal ( I hope assuming the Cystogram shows no bladder leakage).

Keep your pecker up and never feel shy about seeking help here 🖖

User
Posted 09 Aug 2019 at 13:58

Waffles .Remember to take some pads with you to the hospital and a towel for the car seat, possibly a urine bottle all hopefully just in case. Keep the fluid intake going on the day of the twoc ,trial with out catheter. Stay calm and relaxed, him more than you. Hospital may give you some pads , from experience inadequate. 

Thanks Chris.

User
Posted 09 Aug 2019 at 23:25

??

We decided to change the catheter bags a day earlier and this seems to have done the trick 

??

what do you mean by this ? 

can you clarify ?

I just connected night bag about 9pm.   only one morning had the whole lot filled up to capacity. 

if  I remember correctly the 500ml ?  leg bag was always  in circuit.  ie I linked the night bag.  probably 2000ml at least to the end of it.

I kept the small bag with a few ml. left in after opening and perfectly clean tap/hands etc to ensure no bacteria could go 'back up into bladder'.  probably a bit overkill..    

Edited by member 09 Aug 2019 at 23:38  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 10 Aug 2019 at 13:45

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
the leg bag was starting to turn a pink colour - not the contents which were definitely white wine looking - but the bag itself - even round the edges. I'm certain it was not blood. We're guessing that after a while the acid in the urine somehow interacts with the bag.

This sounds like the bacteria Serratia marcescens.

It's a common UTI bacteria and can grow in catheters/bags. You should ask if he should be given an antibiotic to target Serratia marcescens (it's often resistant to many standard antibiotics). May need better sterile handling of bags/tubes too.

It's also the pink or orange staining you often find around baths and showers - it can grow in soap residues.

User
Posted 10 Aug 2019 at 13:46
Hi,

I used to worry about the night bag not filling. To some extent you just have to trust to gravity and let it work. You might be surprised how much fluid is resting in the tubes, so it can look like nothing is happening but it is. Just make sure that the nightstand is on the floor. I kept worrying about it and ended up getting so tired I fell asleep, and presto the bag was full when I woke!

The catheter removal is painless - will definitely need some snug-fitting pants, the pads need to be held in place.

Tell your OH not to be too worried about what happens immediately after the catheter comes out. The first couple of days without it are just weird, no idea how much is going to come out & when.

User
Posted 10 Aug 2019 at 13:50

Hardly leaked at night, and got rid of the waterproof mattress cover after a couple of weeks as it wasn't' necessary.  The Tena pants were enough to deal with any problems.

laughing, coughing and sneezing just aren't the same any more 

He has gone some underwear that seem to be ok with pads as he has been leaking down the side of the catheter and using pads for that. We have also stocked up on some disposable pants - mainly for nighttime.

How did people deal with night time leaks? I purchased a waterproof sheet thinking it would be easy to just wash and dry daily if needed - however - you can't tumble dry it - so in this weather it would have taken off by now.

We have also stocked up on plenty of disposable bed pads from Boots.

User
Posted 10 Aug 2019 at 23:03

hi

How much has been leaking then ?  a small pad should more than suffice .    nighttime bag on floor at side of bed there shouldn't be much horizontal tubing.   It's obviously awkward moving off back or onto side.

the tubes shouldn't tightly  loop. 

The inflated balloon should seal catheter at base of bladder. Has OH made sure he's not been pushing or pulling catheter in penis ? pants should support yet allow easy and comfortable  flow , ideally minimal or zero leakage.   Maybe a few drops on bowel movements etc.   Urine of any quantity shouldn't be bypassing. 

I assume you have an appointment for catheter removal soon and no longer an issue.  A decent sleep awakes.  

all the best 

Edited by member 10 Aug 2019 at 23:19  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 21 Aug 2019 at 22:32
Hubbie just returned home yesterday after surgery. This thread has answered so many of my concerns & helped my anxieties. Thank you all & huge best wishes for continued & full recovery for you all xx
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 01 Aug 2019 at 22:25

Just take it easy and comply with the instructions from the hospital!

Oh and have lots of sex  it before the op cos it aint gonna be the same after!

User
Posted 01 Aug 2019 at 22:29

Waffles

With a catheter in there is still a chance of leaking , normally called "by passing "urine is forced out between the outside of the catheter and the urethra, can be uncomfortable. Take a towel to put on the car seat just in case, more important when he has his catheter removed in a few days. Walking to the car will be individual to him , possibly get a hospital wheel chair. 

Make sure he doesn't get constipation, it is important not to force compacted motions past his newly joined urethra. Remember some painkillers can cause constipation. Get some instilagel or hydrocaine, it is a lubricant , anesthetic and antiseptic, it is used to prevent soreness caused by the catheter rubbing the eye of the penis. 

Keep him mobile but don't let him run any marathons.

Get some rubber gloves if you are going to attach and remove his night bag. Listen to what the nurses tell you but mostly the night bag connects to the tap of the leg/day bag. Get you head around how the taps work, nothing worse than disconnecting a pipe and getting covered in urine. You could stand the night bag stand in a bowl or bucket.

Keep him hydrated. Blood in urine can look alarming rosê is considered normal red is cause for concern. If in doubt get advice from your medical team.

Hope all goes well.

Thanks Chris.

Edited by member 01 Aug 2019 at 22:32  | Reason: Spelling

User
Posted 01 Aug 2019 at 23:40

As the surgeon has stitched his urethra onto his bladder it's better to take it easy and not do anything to strain it.  Using the stitches on his stomach as a guide to how healing is going.

Having a catheter allows experiences you don't normally get.  You don't go to the loo, you do it when needed.  Even when sitting in a neighbours having a cup of tea.  I haven't told any of the neighbours so it seemed a bit amusing to me.

Going out for a walk just after removal of the catheter I thought I was doing well till there was a very wet feeling down my leg.  You don't realise you leak while walking in the early days.  I hadn't got a spare pad so we put a plastic bag on the car seat and went home.  My wife did the driving for a few weeks.  

There was never any leaking at night.  The leaking started later and later in the day till it went away and it went quite suddenly leaving me with a lot of pads.

Continence was the biggest thing and after 6 months was very good.  Although after two years and eight months ED is improving but not over clever.

Me and my wife don't talk much about it and I live as if it didn't happen, and have told no-one.

User
Posted 02 Aug 2019 at 01:00
Clarify with the hospital whether they will provide him with some local anaesthetic gel for the eye of his penis. If not, buy some from the chemist as the catheter tube can rub and make him quite sore.

There is a shopping list on here somewhere but things that come immediately to mind:

- a bucket to stand the night bag in

- jogging bottoms or loose shorts in a dark colour, ideally with a draw-cord waist band rather than elasticated (sweatshirt type material will be most comfy)

- pants (not boxers) in a size larger than he usually takes - his genitals may be very swollen afterwards and will need the support

- a waterproof sheet (Dunelm make some that don't feel like rubber) or some puppy training pads from the local pet store

- a cushion (for his belly when coughing or straining at the loo)

And definitely have lots of sex before the op.

User
Posted 02 Aug 2019 at 11:18
I had my operation in May.

Would recommend getting hold of some Laxido and start taking straight after the operation. Better to take it before feeling constipated and be prepared for it to take a few days before his bowels settle down.

The nursing staff stressed the importance of being mobile after the op. Walk a little every day, and every day try to walk a little further. First few days was just walking around the house, but it's worth it.

I found a (sensible) combination of paracetamol and ibuprofen sufficient to control the pain/discomfort. But be prepared for some discomfort in the stomach and shoulders - something to do with pumping the stomach full of gas.

User
Posted 02 Aug 2019 at 11:32

The day after my op I was completing a lap of the dining room table every couple of hours, after a week I was managing to the end of the garden and back, after two weeks the end of the road and back (about 1/2 mile) and by six weeks I was walking 5 miles every day. Build up slowly a little more each day.   Good Luck

User
Posted 02 Aug 2019 at 12:58
Above responses assume that you are having keyhole surgery. If you are having open RP, the recovery time will be significantly longer but you don't get filled with gas.

User
Posted 02 Aug 2019 at 14:35
You can read my contemporaneous musings about my prostatectomy over a year ago below. My post-operative situation may or not be typical, but I like to think I had a brilliant surgeon and I hope your surgery is just as successful.

Best of luck!

Cheers, John.

https://community.prostatecanceruk.org/posts/t16224-Retzius-Sparing-Laparoscopic-Radical-Prostatectomy

User
Posted 02 Aug 2019 at 20:46
If you are having keyhole/RP then your hubby will expect a shock when he looks under his bedsheet as certain things may swell like coconuts and they NEVER warn you about that. The good news is that it is harmless and with the right mindset and loose shorts very funny.

Referred pain from being filled with CO2 as it shifts around and dissipates is less fun. One needs to remember it is harmless and to grit one’s teeth until it subsides. Hopefully the supplied painkillers will help.

Patience, a sense of humour and not overdoing it are key.

Make sure his night catheter bag is on a long tube and sits in a bucket or washing up bowl.

Keep the superglued stitches clean and try not to peel them with wear and tear. Mine went after day 3 and I had open cuts for weeks trying to heal.

It will be fine.

Hope that helps.

Pete

PS - I have now mentioned the topic of how long before you can drive legally and settled back with a bag of popcorn.

User
Posted 02 Aug 2019 at 21:34
Thank you so much for all the replies. Surgery was today so he’s not home yet. Too early for any info from anyone about how it all went but it seems as though he had the keyhole rather than open surgery. Do the hospital usually discharge patients with a laxative? Should we get something prescribed before he leaves? Also the anaesthetic gel for the penis?

How did people here manage with things like taking a shower? He was told he should not bend so I’ll be there to help. We have purchased some non perfumed Simple shower gel.

Thanks again for all the advice.

User
Posted 02 Aug 2019 at 21:59
I think different hospitals do things differently. However the laxido is cheaper to buy rather than on prescription. Unless you have the free prescription card. (Anyone with a cancer diagnosis can get one from their GP in case you don’t know).

Showering was fine, but of a faff with the bag but ok if you fit a hook to hang it off.

User
Posted 02 Aug 2019 at 22:42

Hi there 

I hope the operation went well for your husband. Also hoping that you are coping as well as can be.

Please remember to ask the nurses tomorrow for some spare catheter Velcro straps, because when your husband has a shower you can swap them for the dry ones and then put the wet ones out to dry.

if you haven’t already done so, get a memory foam orthopaedic donut seating cushion which will help enormously when husband is sitting down. 

Reading the posts, it looks like you’ve been receiving lots of good advice.

keep your chin up and keep positive. 

Best wishes to you both 

User
Posted 02 Aug 2019 at 23:47
Hi Waffles

For me it’s now been 10 months since surgery. So far all good and now starting to really focus on the ED stuff. The support from my local NHS has been fantastic.

What can you do for your husband. Be patient. My wife has been great. The actual physical recovery for me was quick I had robotic surgery - 3 to 4 weeks later no discomfort and no pads. But for me, the mental side of having cancer and loosing my manhood made be nervous and uncertain - especially during that initial period where you don’t do much. Gentle walks during this period with my wife was excellent therapy. I had more challenges with the mental side than the physical stuff. For instance I didn’t know how this was going to effect me. I am also the sort of guy that doesn’t talk about my ‘private’ bits and certainly not public discussions on getting an erection. So for the wife or partner my advice is to be conscious of this change and be a good listener above all. The notion I may not have a proper erection again nags at me. I now have a ED pump still very early days with this. My wife supported my decisions around ED and didn’t nag me. She attended all my appointments with me and helped by asking good questions or reminding me of questions I forgot. But she was never over bearing. I respected her for that and that made me feel better. A win for everyone!!!

And finally guys be patient with your wives. They’re only trying to help. I reckon (for me) a happy wife is a happy recovery.

User
Posted 03 Aug 2019 at 19:42

Thanks again for the replies and really useful advice. He came home today and apart from being very tired and sore, he’s in much better shape than I expected. I used to care for my mum before she passed away so I know that side of things will come easy to me. Illness is a great leveller and banisher of embarrassment when things need to happen or be done and whilst I have never (till now) had to assist him in the toilet we are already getting well practiced. He cannot bend at all at the moment so helping with clothing and pads is essential. He has a catheter but is still leaking a bit as well. I am also giving him his injections and keeping a strict log of all meds and painkillers as I know it can easily get muddled.

Hes being a great patient and maybe I’m fussing too much. He’s getting lots of comfort from large v shaped pillows. 

Before he came home I asked for the anaesthetic gel and some laxatives in case needed to tide us over the weekend so thanks for that advice.

User
Posted 03 Aug 2019 at 19:53

Oh and the hospital gave him a giant goody bag of extra bits for the catheter including Velcro straps. 

Just one other question for the guys who had this op - how easy was it for you get down the water or drinks required? He’s not drinking much at the moment despite my encouragement but I think this may just be as we are only at day 1 of being home and he’s tired and sore. The catheter bag is filling regularly so that seems ok.

User
Posted 03 Aug 2019 at 20:53

I managed to drink lots of fluid after the operation. He needs to keep hydrated but if the catheter bag is filling up that’s good.

Ido4

User
Posted 03 Aug 2019 at 23:28

hi

all the very best.   hopefully he's up and about and not in bed during day.  Do keep hydrated , water is ideal. ie not excessive caffeine, co2, alcohol. 

also laxative , I took no pain relief as didn't need it . worse experience was constipation. 

Do keep  wounds, dressings ? dry.   yes although I was actually quite mobile, I moved incredibly slowly for 2 or 3 days.  it's getting up and down was the most awkward. I sat on a cushion  on a high kitchen stool rather than low down in a sofa.

I'm sure you are doing well,  you will soon find things improve dramatically ..  especially when catheter is removed.  

finally.   urine colour should .. be like white wine.. 😀 a good indicator that throughput is ok.   again it depends on how hot and exercise he's doing.

there's should not be much leakage or anything around catheter..  the tubes. ensure at night they are free and urine can flow easily..     I remember one night my night bag was completely full when we woke up and when emptied the ordinary bag soon filled.. so obviously my bladder was filling also.  

I can't think of much else or tips.   I had no swelling other than belly which was distended for 2 weeks and a few bruises appeared on back and side of thigh. I assume from moving me in/on operating table.   

Bending to get socks on took me a while.. 

Gordon

User
Posted 03 Aug 2019 at 23:33

The catheter bag seemed erratic.  One minute it seemed empty then it was full.  Even though I stopped drinking around 8pm there was a full 2 litre bag in the morning.  No idea where it came from.

Keep drinking or he'll be constipated and that's hard work when you've a catheter and new stitches on the bladder. It causes Rose and sometimes little red tadpoles in the catheter bag. Those stitches need protecting.

I've always assumed they're stitches.  My stomach was stapled and they gave me a de-stapler to give the GP nurse.

User
Posted 04 Aug 2019 at 13:46
For me it took at least a week for the bag to be rose wine coloured, let alone white wine. But once it started clearing it happened very quickly. But, yes it’s really important to keep well hydrated.

User
Posted 04 Aug 2019 at 15:51
Hi again and thanks for the latest replies and info. He's not staying in bed as he wants to get up and walk a little (which he knows he should) - and the almost hourly to two hourly little trips out to the loo (regarding the catheter bag) and then out to the kitchen and back are helping with the bloaty gas he's now suffering, especially after eating. He has virtually no appetite and everything is in toddler portions. I've been careful to ensure an increase in fibre but trying to get enough fluid in is definitely going to be the thing as he does need some reminding.... (talking of which... goes to remind...)

As he has had so little to eat since the day before surgery we are not thinking constipation is a problem - yet - but if no action by tomorrow then he's going to have one of the laxatives.

He's had a bit more pain today and was feeling hot to the touch but he said was feeling cold so I'm hoping he's not brewing an infection. I'm carefully logging all the paracetamol as he can only have 8 in 24hrs and we are up to 5 at the moment having split the last dose so he can have another half later then the final 2 any time before midnight.

As for urine colour, it is a little dark but not overly so. I have also seen it paler. Last night was the first night home with the catheter and I was unsure what to expect so was setting my alarm 2 hourly to check it had not kinked, leaked or worse! So now I'm completely knackered as well! Actually it was all fine. The bucket thing became a saga in itself! Each bucket I brought in just seemed too small so we now have the cleanest giant builders muck bucket sitting beside the bed!

I am now sort of getting into a routine with this and but it makes me realise just how much would have gone on in hospital in days gone by for this sort of surgery.

Thanks again everyone.

User
Posted 04 Aug 2019 at 20:13

Hi Waffles, I had my surgery in March 2018 all I can remember about the catheter was it was a little uncomfortable at first but I gradually got used to it. However you need to get his bowel moving he dosen't need constipation as this will put a strain on his already sore stomach, also straining to go can cause issues with the catheter. As for the gas thing that will ease after a few days especially with gentle walking etc. He must not lift or carry anything heavier than a cup of tea for about six weeks and should not try driving for at least four. All I can tell you is it all gets better with time just don't let him force himself to get better just help him especially mentally as the mental healing can be just as bad as the physical.

Best wishes to both of you

User
Posted 05 Aug 2019 at 14:45
Thanks Ants. We had a bit of a concern this morning as he was seeping a bit of bright red blood on the outside of the catheter but this has now stopped. He thinks he might have strained a bit trying to use the toilet - which he knows not to do but anyway... . He says he does not feel constipated but is a bit worried that he has not been yet - however - his food intake has been very small so its not really surprising. He's had one of the laxatives this morning but no action yet. It's a waiting game.

Anyway on the plus side his pain seems better and he seems to be slightly more comfortable with things like getting up off the chair so onwards we go. He's also managing to eat little and often and is making a sterling effort to drink everything I give him.

We got to about 1.5 litres overall yesterday but from what we read the 1.5 - 2l is in 24hrs - and of course he's in bed for some of that asleep so actually he's maybe doing ok with that.

Thanks again.

User
Posted 05 Aug 2019 at 17:02
Hi waffles. Did he have a BM before leaving hospital?
User
Posted 06 Aug 2019 at 14:18
Erm… a BM?
User
Posted 06 Aug 2019 at 19:12
BM is probably bowel movement.

I would suggest that he should already be taking laxatives. I was given some in hospital. Lactulose for more liquid motions and Senokot senna tablets for moving it forward. The hospital prescription was 20ml Lactulose morning and evening, and 2 tablets just before bedtime. I am now 12 weeks after the operation and still suffer from constipation- I didn’t before. Initially it got better, then it was terrible so back on the laxatives. My current balance is 5ml morning and evening and1 tablet at nighttime. This after some experimentation. Initially you won’t want to stray too far from a toilet in the morning until you find how your body reacts. Everybody is different.

I am still fairly incontinent, but am learning to cope with it. Sitting and lying down is fine, but standing or walking is just constant dribbling. I am drinking a pint of water at each meal time. I was leaking fairly heavily down the side of the catheter before it was removed.

Good luck!

User
Posted 07 Aug 2019 at 15:23
He did not have a BM before leaving hospital but had one on the morning or the op then virtually nothing to eat after that. He is now having issues despite being discharged with laxatives which he has been taking for a couple of days. He spoke to his GP today who has told him to up the dosage and who is fairly confident things will resolve themselves.
User
Posted 07 Aug 2019 at 15:58
This is quite normal as all his intestines will have been moved and buggered about with to allow the robotic arms unfettered access to the prostate area. Afterwards, they just chuck all the pipework back in place, and then leave nature to take its course so the intestines find their way back to their normal location.

Do persist with the stool-softening drinks such as Fybogel, together with laxatives, and as his GP says, no doubt things will resolve sooner rather than later.

Best wishes.

Cheers, John.

User
Posted 07 Aug 2019 at 18:40
I ended up with adhesions after robotic surgery. This is where things that have been cut and bleeding heal against things they shouldn’t have. For 3 yrs I had awful pains first thing when I needed a poo or wee. Sometimes I couldn’t even sit up properly it was so sore. But then a movement would sort it. I guess it’s pretty much gone now after 4 yrs or I’ve got used to it. This could be your problem !!
User
Posted 08 Aug 2019 at 13:24
I'm sorry to hear that Chris. The surgeon told us to expect bowel probs as they said 'the bowel does not like to be moved' and the surgery presumably moves things about a bit. Things have certainly improved since the increase in laxatives and he's feeling so much better. The doc advised him this morning to now cut the dosage right back - mind you he had got to maximum. I'm so pleased for him as it was making him miserable and he was forcing down so much fluids he was getting fed up with that too.

We're now approaching catheter bag change day. Why do they need to be changed? All being well he loses the catheter next Monday anyway. Last night was a complete saga as the night bag was not filling at all and I could see no reason why. Checked and rechecked everything numerous times. The tube to the night bag stayed full and despite unhooking it all and flushing it (the tube and night bag only) with clear water, it did not resolve. So it was a hourly check on it all thru the night. Roll on Monday!

User
Posted 09 Aug 2019 at 11:05
Hi Waffles - I had my robotic surgery last Friday (2nd August). Most of the advice you’ve had is right on. One thing I would add is that he should adopt a position of squatting for emptying his bowel (like you would do in the countryside !) - on the Loo you can emulate this by putting a shallow stool or platform in front of the pan for your feet to rest on. I was able to make unstrained BMs this way and still do it like that - jut need a little gentle strain to get things rolling and expect a little leakage from the penis during the procedure.

On day 4 post surgery I was taken by surprise by the swelling around my penis and my scrotum which caused some discomfort - but I’ve noticed that it reduces by each morning after lying flat each night - I hoping this will dissipate in the next day or so - the whole groin and lower abdomen area is now various remarkable shades of yellow and blue !! I’m having a Cystogram on Monday followed by my catheter removal ( I hope assuming the Cystogram shows no bladder leakage).

Keep your pecker up and never feel shy about seeking help here 🖖

User
Posted 09 Aug 2019 at 11:39

John-Boy, squatting is how humans evolved to take a dump. We are not designed to do so from the seated position, and bowel, rectum and anus are not in the best position when seated.

You can achieve something similar on a regular toilet though. Sit on it normally, but then while keeping your bum on the seat, lean forward so your chest is on your thighs. Then you have the same thigh to spine angle as for squatting, which is how your rectum is designed to work. If you're reading a newspaper or your phone, rest it on the floor in front of you.

Edited by member 09 Aug 2019 at 11:40  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 09 Aug 2019 at 12:33

Quite difficult to get your chest onto your thighs so soon after major abdominal surgery 😬 Physios advise the step / stool method post-RP.

Edited by member 09 Aug 2019 at 12:34  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 09 Aug 2019 at 13:35
Hi John-boy, Andy62 and LynEyre - I shall pass on the advice and tips although it's been good news since the laxative was upped to escape velocity. It's been ok since although he's going to continue with it but on a much smaller dose until things settle.

We decided to change the catheter bags a day earlier and this seems to have done the trick as I was only up once last night which was about an hour after we went to bed to check on it and after that I think we both slept ever the best since the op.

Back to hospital next week for the removal of it - and no doubt new challenges to deal with.

Thanks everyone. It's great to be able to post about this here.

User
Posted 09 Aug 2019 at 13:58

Waffles .Remember to take some pads with you to the hospital and a towel for the car seat, possibly a urine bottle all hopefully just in case. Keep the fluid intake going on the day of the twoc ,trial with out catheter. Stay calm and relaxed, him more than you. Hospital may give you some pads , from experience inadequate. 

Thanks Chris.

User
Posted 09 Aug 2019 at 23:25

??

We decided to change the catheter bags a day earlier and this seems to have done the trick 

??

what do you mean by this ? 

can you clarify ?

I just connected night bag about 9pm.   only one morning had the whole lot filled up to capacity. 

if  I remember correctly the 500ml ?  leg bag was always  in circuit.  ie I linked the night bag.  probably 2000ml at least to the end of it.

I kept the small bag with a few ml. left in after opening and perfectly clean tap/hands etc to ensure no bacteria could go 'back up into bladder'.  probably a bit overkill..    

Edited by member 09 Aug 2019 at 23:38  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 10 Aug 2019 at 13:15
Thanks colwickchris. The letter he has tells him to bring in pads and also tight fitting underpants plus loose trousers. Not sure about the tight pants as he doesn't have any - but wont be wearing boxers either.

To robgsr - when he was discharged home he was given a replacement leg bag and night bag - plus replacement tube to the night bag. We were told to change them on Friday but did it Thursday instead - the leg bag was starting to turn a pink colour - not the contents which were definitely white wine looking - but the bag itself - even round the edges. I'm certain it was not blood. We're guessing that after a while the acid in the urine somehow interacts with the bag.

Had a another saga last night with the new night bag not filling - I have tried everything and am putting it down to the line being too horizontal cos when he's in bed as when he stands up it starts to fill - however - it then stops and the tube to it just stays full despite various wiggles and squeezes. There must be a physics lesson here somewhere but I never did well with physics at school. There's also air in the tube in places.

Anyway, only a couple more nights of this - everything else is good and he is feeling so much better in many ways.

User
Posted 10 Aug 2019 at 13:36
Nip to the supermarket to buy a couple of pairs; the continence pads won’t work if they are not held securely against his body

User
Posted 10 Aug 2019 at 13:43
He has gone some underwear that seem to be ok with pads as he has been leaking down the side of the catheter and using pads for that. We have also stocked up on some disposable pants - mainly for nighttime.

How did people deal with night time leaks? I purchased a waterproof sheet thinking it would be easy to just wash and dry daily if needed - however - you can't tumble dry it - so in this weather it would have taken off by now.

User
Posted 10 Aug 2019 at 13:45

the leg bag was starting to turn a pink colour - not the contents which were definitely white wine looking - but the bag itself - even round the edges. I'm certain it was not blood. We're guessing that after a while the acid in the urine somehow interacts with the bag.

This sounds like the bacteria Serratia marcescens.

It's a common UTI bacteria and can grow in catheters/bags. You should ask if he should be given an antibiotic to target Serratia marcescens (it's often resistant to many standard antibiotics). May need better sterile handling of bags/tubes too.

It's also the pink or orange staining you often find around baths and showers - it can grow in soap residues.

User
Posted 10 Aug 2019 at 13:46
Hi,

I used to worry about the night bag not filling. To some extent you just have to trust to gravity and let it work. You might be surprised how much fluid is resting in the tubes, so it can look like nothing is happening but it is. Just make sure that the nightstand is on the floor. I kept worrying about it and ended up getting so tired I fell asleep, and presto the bag was full when I woke!

The catheter removal is painless - will definitely need some snug-fitting pants, the pads need to be held in place.

Tell your OH not to be too worried about what happens immediately after the catheter comes out. The first couple of days without it are just weird, no idea how much is going to come out & when.

User
Posted 10 Aug 2019 at 13:50

Hardly leaked at night, and got rid of the waterproof mattress cover after a couple of weeks as it wasn't' necessary.  The Tena pants were enough to deal with any problems.

laughing, coughing and sneezing just aren't the same any more 

User
Posted 10 Aug 2019 at 23:03

hi

How much has been leaking then ?  a small pad should more than suffice .    nighttime bag on floor at side of bed there shouldn't be much horizontal tubing.   It's obviously awkward moving off back or onto side.

the tubes shouldn't tightly  loop. 

The inflated balloon should seal catheter at base of bladder. Has OH made sure he's not been pushing or pulling catheter in penis ? pants should support yet allow easy and comfortable  flow , ideally minimal or zero leakage.   Maybe a few drops on bowel movements etc.   Urine of any quantity shouldn't be bypassing. 

I assume you have an appointment for catheter removal soon and no longer an issue.  A decent sleep awakes.  

all the best 

Edited by member 10 Aug 2019 at 23:19  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 11 Aug 2019 at 13:21
It's been more of a seepage really which has been like that since he came home from hospital. Pads have coped well and night pad/pants. He has the catheter out tomorrow so we're both looking forward to that being gone. Onwards to the next stage in this journey.
User
Posted 21 Aug 2019 at 22:32
Hubbie just returned home yesterday after surgery. This thread has answered so many of my concerns & helped my anxieties. Thank you all & huge best wishes for continued & full recovery for you all xx
User
Posted 22 Aug 2019 at 14:49

Good luck to your hubby with his recovery.  Thanks to the good people here I got lots of good tips and advice but it has also been such a learning curve for me.

After just one night in hospital you will effectively become a nurse for the first week or so till the catheter comes out.

As you have no doubt seen, he has been sent home with lots of meds and other bits and pieces maybe but the one tip I would pass on to you is in the early days and before the catheter is removed - is to log everything - all meds and especially pain killers (what they are, what dosage, what time etc...). It's easy to lose track of them otherwise. Include in that log any regular meds he already takes. 

Log all fluids he drinks - quantities mainly -  (just to ensure he is drinking plenty - try and get him to 2 litres per day) - For fluids out you don't need to log anything as you will see how well he is doing by the frequency of you emptying the bag and the colour of the it - the paler it is, the more hydrated he is. 

He won't be able to bend at all - so you will be doing tap duty (opening and closing) on the catheter line. (I purchased a travel pee pot from Boots for £4.99 - (and found it so much easier and less mess/splashes etc to drain the tube into that and then pour down the loo). If he really feels too sore or unwell you can do this in situ where he is (although you should try and encourage him to walk a few steps each hour).

You will note from earlier posts my night time sagas with the catheter line - it may have been me but I became worried it was not draining properly and just sitting in the line and there was an air lock etc..... so I was up every 2 hours physically checking it (maybe it was overkill but I don't think so).

You will work ways that suit you both - we even had to devise a way for the cat to still be able to sit on him without jumping on him!

As for my hubby - his op will be 3 weeks ago tomorrow and he is recovering very well. He is much more mobile and since the catheter was removed the continence he was expecting to be bad has not been so. He is finding it is mainly when he moves, coughs etc... - but he's doing his exercises and starts physio tomorrow.

No news yet from the hospital as to whether the op removed all the cancer - fingers crossed they did.