Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

DRE and impact on PSA results

User
Posted 01 Aug 2019 at 23:38

Hi all

I am relatively new to this forum and site and so wish I knew about it 2 yrs ago when my prostate problem began as it has a wealth of knowledge and experiences .

i havent had a biospsy yet, probably because my mpMRi in sept 19 should no mallicious cancer/tumours although my PSA has continued to rise since . In March this year it was 5.73 and as of last week it is 5.82. 

However just before my blood test the consultant performed a DRE and when challenged he claimed that it does not affect PSA levels 

I would be interested in any views and or experiences out there as I would have been a lot calmer had it stayed the same or indeed gone down

much appreciated Tony

User
Posted 02 Aug 2019 at 01:05
Any digital stimulation of the prostate, including DRE, can make the PSA rise slightly but the difference is minimal - less than 10% according to researchers. So while it matters a lot in some cases, it seems it didn't affect your PSA too much.

With a PSA just over the 'normal' level and a clear mpMRI, I can see why your consultant isn't concerned. Do you have a larger than average prostate? We have men here whose PSA was between 50 - 80 but they had no signs of cancer. Presumably, you will continue to have regular tests?
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 02 Aug 2019 at 09:24

Thank you Lyn,

I have been foolish as upto the mpMRI last year I was under the control of a private consultant but as I was having so many blood test the health care provider would not cover any more so my GP suggested I continue down the NHS route.

I have now rebooked myself in with the private consultant for September 

I recall when the MRI results were explained to me the size of my prostate was not considered enlarged .

I have avoided a biospsy on the strength of the MRI and don't want to find any non malicious cells as that would increase the anxiety and no doubt unnecessary treatment .

My comfort is that's it is so common and that there are many people like your self for support 

Kr Tony

User
Posted 02 Aug 2019 at 14:42
I had an orgasm / ejaculation half an hour before a PSA test (before I knew what was what) and my PSA went up from around 16 to 17, and then back down again after the next (abstaining) test.

Cheers, John.
User
Posted 16 Aug 2019 at 08:59

Hi i’m New here  just been told that my psa level is8 but not to worry is this right

User
Posted 17 Aug 2019 at 07:34
Bairdy, how old are you? Have you had a digital rectal examination (finger up the bum)?

Cheers, John.