I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

They forgot about me!

User
Posted 02 Aug 2019 at 20:41

Hi again. This is a funny title, but is caused by my appointment with my Uro's Registrar today. (I have been on AS since 1st biopsy in November 2017). I had my second biopsy on Saturday 1st June this year. The Uro said that my results would probably be through by the tuesday (3 days later). So I waited and when I didn't get any phone call or contact by the hospital or my local surgery, I thought that must be good news. Still having heard nothing, I contacted the Uro's secretary about three weeks ago. She got back to me a couple of days later, (she's never 'at her desk' and so gets around to replying when she's got a spare minute). Anyway, I had my appointment today and the registrar told me that my gleason score is still 3+4 but the cancer has grown 'just a little bit bigger' and that I may now have to have some treatment (radiotherapy) or a prostatectomy. I see people on here mention chemo as well, but she said that wouldn't apply to me. (?) I asked if it's serious enough for that, why has no-one contacted me before? As it's now two months since the biopsy. She said, "Well, you seem to have been lost in the system and we must have forgotten to tell you." Which I don't think is very good at all. My Uro has apparently been on 'annual leave' for about four weeks now and is currently seeing no-one. But they have decided I now need to see him, as the registrar really doesn't seem to know much about prostate cancer at all! They provided me with a cup of coffee and plenty of chat, but very little actual help, other than saying "Well you really need to see your Uro and discuss it with him." many times over. I would have thought that his registrar should be well versed in all things related to the prostate? My ENT's registrar seemed to know nearly as much about hearing as the ENT himself does! Looking at side effects of a removal op, seems to suggest that I should stay on AS for as long as possible! When I did see the Uro on the biopsy day, he suggested that maybe future biopsies could be taken in four years and then seven years time. Well it now seems that all that has changed! If anyone on here could tell me, given the choice, should I go for radiotherapy if offered? Or just have it out? I feel like making an official complaint over their forgetting me, but I don't suppose that would do anything for my chances. Many thanks for any help you can give.

User
Posted 02 Aug 2019 at 22:41
You need some more information before you can make a decision about a) whether you do need treatment and b) if so, which treatment to have. AS has been good for you so far; you can afford to wait for the uro to come back from his holiday and get a view from him ... after all, he knows your case and will be in a better position to judge whether the cancer has indeed got a bit bigger.

If he advises that treatment might be a good idea, you should ask to see an oncologist to discuss radiotherapy and brachytherapy before making up your mind.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 07 Aug 2019 at 00:24

Many thanks Lyn! I had never even heard of Brachytherapy before. Sounds like something to do with dinosaurs! But I'm well versed in it all now, having researched all the different treatments. Yes I think my Uro is definitely the man to see. I just hope that, as I'm still a 3+4 that AS will still be a viable option for the foreseeable future.

User
Posted 07 Aug 2019 at 18:55

hi Ross 

Seems very relaxed.. .  may I ask how old are you ?  Any other health conditions ?   Have you had an mpMRI ?

Gleason 7 is not low risk.  see my profile.  

there's a toolkit to download on site.  assuming you are young and fit , numerous options for you.

regards Gordon 

User
Posted 13 Aug 2019 at 21:40

Thanks Gordon and Andrew! I am almost at the big 60 and yes, I have had an mpMRI. That just shew where they have to stick the needles during the biopsy I guess, as it didn't make any difference to my diagnosis and treatment options. Just that they decided to always do a template biopsy! (Ouch!) My other health conditions are type 2 diabetes, arthritis and very recently gained, sciatica! I am on the edge of obesity too, but am doing something about that, to the tune of losing about 1 pound a week. Her boss has been absent for about four weeks, but I see him tomorrow! At long last. the registrar and her nurse assistant both seemed to take a stand of feeling very sorry for me and sympathised and thrust a cup of coffee into my hand, probably to stop me screaming! I will update this post with what he tells me, after I see him (The Uro man)! Wish me luck!

User
Posted 13 Aug 2019 at 21:45

I'll just add here Gordon, that my Uro said that, had I been 4+3 like you, that AS would not have been an option that he would be able to offer. My 3+4 is the only reason that I am on it.

Regards, Ross.

User
Posted 14 Aug 2019 at 18:39

Hope meeting was informative..

Gleason is just 1 component in decision, isn't it. Your PSA has been 'steady' .  Have you had any feedback 're.  mpMRI. ?

Plenty of time and options, hopefully..  Fitter and less weight .. keep it up.  

please post update... Gordon 

User
Posted 15 Aug 2019 at 00:20

My hospital (NNUH, Norwich) doesn't seem to like telling you very much about anything. It took me a while to even get my 'score' of 7, which they always refer to as 3+4. I know there are other bits to it too, but I never get those. I saw my Uro today and it's not the good news I was hoping for, however, it's not too bad yet either! As one of the 26 cores they took in the latest biopsy was 50% tumour, while all the rest were a lot lower, they have decided to give me another mpMRI, (which they keep for their records, but don't tell you about), to see if anything's changed since the first one. (He did mention that biopsies are a bit like sticking a needle into an orange and hoping to hit the same spot as last time! Which he said, could mean that there is no more cancer than there was before, but just that they found it this time, but it could have been there since the beginning!) Hopefully, the picture will be the same as the first. The Uro was telling me about treatment options and he mentioned that I shouldn't have an operation yet (robotic assisted prostatectomy), nor should I have this wide beam radiotherapy I believe it's called? He highly recommended Brachytherapy though, which will involve me going to Addenbrookes in Cambridge, to have it done. I see there are plenty of side effects and as the one he's thinking of me having, where these irradiated 'seeds' are put into you, that release radiation over many months, I suppose the side effects last the same amount of time, as the seeds are active? If there's anyone on here whose had Brachytherapy, then I might like to ask them about it, as, If there's a side effect going, I'm always the most likely person to get it! Also finally, (at long last!) neither he, nor his registrar, mentioned me having any more PSA's, though no doubt I should, as that's a big part of AS. I last had one in May this year, so I suppose I will have to arrange another one very soon.

Edited by member 15 Aug 2019 at 00:24  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 15 Aug 2019 at 05:41

You can ask for your hospital records. They're free and have to be provided within 30 days of asking (EU ruling). They will contain your precise diagnosis, scans, radiologist reports, MDT meeting reports, etc. Sometimes you have to ask for the bits you want. Things like scans are large and you probably have to specify which ones you want (my full body MRI scan is 10500 images and came on 13 CDs, but you view it using special software).

"wide beam radiotherapy" - probably mean External Beam Radiotherapy (EBRT), and it's well controlled with quite accurate targeting on modern linear accelerators.

For any radiotherapy including seed brachytherapy, there are two sets of side effects, short term, and delayed. The short term ones happen during the treatment which lasts about a year from the implant date, but is more concentrated in first 3 months. Delayed side effects are those which start some time after treatment finished - some can be temporary, some can be permanent. These are described in detail in each treatment leaflet in the Toolkit. Unfortunately, no treatments are without side effects, but if you have the choice of more than one type of treatment, you should factor in the different side effects when making your decision.

User
Posted 15 Aug 2019 at 14:21

That's right Andy, EBRT is what I meant! I just forgot it's name. Looking on the toolkit under 'permanent seed brachytherapy' and 'active surveillance', reveals nothing, as both links seem to be broken! I don't like the sound of 'delayed side effects' though. I had heard that the radiation and associated side effects fade over a few months, which I like the sound of much better! I don't think I'll bother going through my records though, as that sounds a massive amount of information, for a little thing the size of a walnut! I'll see what they say at Addenbrookes first, before wading through any reports and scans etc, as then I should understand it all better. My brother (12 years older than me) heard the word 'cancer' and decided to have it out immediately, as his then firm paid for very good health insurance. He's lucky that he didn't get many problems afterwards, except for ED and other things like incontinence. My Uro is dead set against an operation, due to my very 'young' age! (nearly 60 for heavens sake)! 'Can be permanent', oops! No thanks! I don't know if I want this all to go really quickly, or be delayed for quite some time?!

User
Posted 23 Oct 2019 at 10:40

Interesting how different Drs work. I’m 57 and had no symptoms. I was referred to Urology because my PSA was slightly high. My MRI showed an anomaly and was confirmed by biopsy as local pca with Gleason 4+3. My surgeon said I had no option but surgery as he wanted to keep RT for when I’m older. HT, etc not discussed but I knew nothing then!

Had my operation 17 June and glad I did tbh. Gleason revised down post op to 3+4. Mild stress incontinence which is now virtually over after 4 months. ED is an issue but pre op I had mentally decided my order of priority: life, incontinence, ED. 

I had to fight for appointments too. My biopsy results took 6 weeks, they forgot about my catheter because nobody recorded that I hadn’t been in despite phoning in Ill the day of the appointment. I complained about two Drs, one told me I was too young for cancer as it wasn’t in the family, one lied to me that my bone scan was clear. What a waste of time and effort. Oh and my named nurse...who?

Back for follow up just before Xmas when no doubt all the anxiety will resurface.

Rob

Edited by member 23 Oct 2019 at 10:46  | Reason: additions

User
Posted 23 Oct 2019 at 19:31
You had the op with bone mets?
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 23 Oct 2019 at 23:47

Lyn,

No I didn’t. What happened was that after my diagnosis I was referred for a bone scan. Unfortunately, like with everything else, I had to chase it up. I went back to see my Urologist who despaired that I hadn’t had it. It transpired the Trust had decommissioned the scanner prior to installing a new one, but not actually told anyone, so a backlog built up. Eleven days before my operation I had the scan at another trust. On the morning of my operation in June, unbeknown to me, the report had still not arrived. My urologist, based on psa, mri, Gleason and biopsy, was convinced it hadn’t spread and decided to go ahead with the operation.

The scan report arrived after my operation and showed a lesion on my pelvis. However my psa had dropped to unrecordable, my Gleason was slightly downgraded, post op, and my lymph nodes were all clear, a benign mark of some sort. So I had a PET scan in September, which came back clear. But I am ahead of myself. Unfortunately, the morning after my surgery the junior doctor who had assisted in the operation, did the Dr round and in response to my direct question, do you have my bone scan results, replied that they were clear. This wasn’t true, eithe my results were still not known, or He hadn’t seen them. It only came to light on discharge day when, after the Dr round, he came back to me and said, we found a couple of marks on the pelvis, we don’t yet know what they are but we’ll let you know at the six week review. He promptly hurried off, leaving me as though I had been hit by an express train.

Edited by member 24 Oct 2019 at 06:39  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 23 Oct 2019 at 23:51

I broke down and asked to speak to the sister. She summoned the consultant who explained everything to me. I lodged a complaint two months ago and got the response yesterday. Unfortunately the junior Dr has left the Trust so nothing will happen.

Finally, i would like to say how much I enjoy your contributions on this forum. Knowledgeable, informative, helpful, these words don’t do them justice. Thank you

Rob

User
Posted 24 Oct 2019 at 02:18
Ah sorry - I did know that! Been away from home for a few days so was being lazy and not checking people's back-posts. Based on current PSA, fingers crossed the pelvis shadows were not cancer-related after all?