I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Any hope for my hubby - metastatic, Gleason 10

User
Posted 05 Aug 2019 at 01:46

I am new to this forum.  We are in the U.S, Minnesota.  I got hubby (age 63 now) into Mayo Clinic about 75 minute drive from us.  I am terrified every day.  Husband was healthy to the extreme, and athletic up until this point.  No health issues ever.

DX Sept 2018 with onset of flu like symptoms

PSA 41

Gleason 10

Widespread bone metastasis

Started Fermagon and Lupron (hormone therapy) then 6 sessions of Docetaxel (chemo) every 3 weeks.  PSA was down to 1.4 in Feb after chemo ended.  

Still doing Lupron shots every 12 weeks

PSA started going back up this year - March 1.8, April 2.2 and in June 6.6.  Oncologist started him on Enzalutamide (Xtandi) 4 pills a day.  He has major muscle spasms and hard to sleep.  He has been working through all of this, has not missed a day except day trips to Mayo.  Also in June new bone scan showed most of the metastasis is now gone, just 3 spots in sternum, and femur.  This was some good news.

Unexpected health complication.  He had heart attack and triple bypass on May 27.  We had no idea he had any heart issues.  He had 8 blockages, 4 of them major.  He was out of work for 7 weeks to recover from open heart surgery.  

We now don't go back to Mayo for 12 weeks (middle of Oct).  We are both already so scared when we do the PSA will be climbing again.  And they will keep trying different things which will eventually not work.  I need to get off this ridiculous look into the future and focus just on today.  Is there anyone out there (with similar Gleason and metastasis) who is keeping this from progressing long term?  Could the enzalutamide work for many years?  Looking for any hope here.

Thank you for your time in replying!

St Paul, Minnesota

User
Posted 20 Jan 2020 at 07:34

Yes, as francij1 mentions, Lutetium 177 may be a decent option.

Both I and Valleyboy are undergoing this fairly new treatment presently.

Also, at the clinic I attend, the talk is now of immunotherapy.

Good luck.

Dave

"Incurable cancer does not mean it is untreatable and does not mean it is terminal either"
User
Posted 20 Jan 2020 at 10:30
The trial that Arden is on is a type of immunotherapy. As you say, these drugs are used for other cancers but not prostate so the trial team has a responsibility to call a halt as soon as they are convinced that it isn’t working and / or that the side effects are too severe. You could ask about Lutetium or cabazitaxel.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 05 Aug 2019 at 07:31
All cancer drugs only work for a limited period of time. Eventually the cancer becomes resistant to the drug and starts growing again. How long any particular drug will be effective for varies very much with the individual patient.

These days, though, there's a whole arsenal of drugs that can be used, so there's every reason to hope that your husband will be around for many years to come. We have many members here who are still with us 10+ years after a diagnosis of advanced prostate cancer.

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 06 Aug 2019 at 00:15

It seems that he became hormone independent (aka castrate resistant) very quickly in comparison to most men in his situation which suggests that he has a particularly determined cancer. When he was diagnosed, was it definitely said to be adenocarcinoma? There are at least 27 types of prostate cancer and some need a completely different treatment aporoach. If and when the enza fails, he could try one of the somewhat old fashioned treatments like silboestrol or a steroid, which others here have sometimes found successful for valuable extra time.

Did they say whether the heart damage had been caused by the chemo? My f-i-l had a heart attack and heart failure which was apparently caused by the type of chemo he had.

Edited by member 06 Aug 2019 at 00:17  | Reason: Not specified

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 15 Nov 2019 at 14:19

Update on hubby Arden.  Arrived back from Europe on 11/11, back at Mayo on 11/13.  PSA up to 38 now (was 22 three weeks ago).  Biopsy of the two tumors on the adrenal glands are prostate cancer.  

Drs say conventional treatments are probably not going to be effective.  Not a candidate for immunotherapy either because his DNA mismatch repair is normal.  

We signed papers for a new experimental trial.  They are moving quickly to get approval.  Because of his heart attack and triple bypass late May he might be precluded from the trial.  Our Onco is working to get it approved since it has been 6 months since the heart issue and his health aside from cancer is exceptional.  We walked 7-8 miles every day on holiday and he did well.  Still working, all bloods are normal, feeling overall pretty well.  

The trial is for an infusion every 3 weeks and a pill every day.  CABOZANTINIB and ATEZOLIZUMAB.  He will stay on the trial as long as it is working.  It is extremely expensive but Mayo is covering the cost.  These drugs are FDA approved but for other cancers, they have not been used for Prostate cancer.  They are trying to start the first infusion and pill next Friday.  Side affects for the infusion are non existent, but the pill has many.  

There are several in the trial now, one had miraculous results, one died, the others are showing positive trends.  I will be updating this site as he begins the trial and results come in.  They will be watching his PSA closely.  

We went three months on the Enzo with no check of PSA - Dr was confident it would give him good results.  That was a mistake, but not Drs fault I guess.  Enzo has provided great results for so many.  And 3 weeks into it his PSA had come down to 3.2 so we assumed it would work for a period of time.  

User
Posted 19 Jan 2020 at 22:37
Sorry to hear you are running out of options, is Leutinum treatment a available over there?
User
Posted 12 Feb 2020 at 12:13
My heart breaks for you,so sorry to hear your very sad news.

May God keep you strong for the difficult times ahead.

Kim xx

User
Posted 13 Feb 2020 at 05:59
Awful news but I take comfort for you and him from the love and devotion you had for him to the end. You will get over this and find new purpose in life in your own time.
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 05 Aug 2019 at 07:31
All cancer drugs only work for a limited period of time. Eventually the cancer becomes resistant to the drug and starts growing again. How long any particular drug will be effective for varies very much with the individual patient.

These days, though, there's a whole arsenal of drugs that can be used, so there's every reason to hope that your husband will be around for many years to come. We have many members here who are still with us 10+ years after a diagnosis of advanced prostate cancer.

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 05 Aug 2019 at 16:39

Chris thank you for the reply, I appreciate it.  We have been told the cancer cells are smart and figure out how to grow despite treatment.  I read  your bio and see you are having positive results with your treatment.  Good news it has not metastasized.  Wishing you continued positive results!  It is a blessing they caught yours earlier than later.  My best.  

User
Posted 06 Aug 2019 at 00:15

It seems that he became hormone independent (aka castrate resistant) very quickly in comparison to most men in his situation which suggests that he has a particularly determined cancer. When he was diagnosed, was it definitely said to be adenocarcinoma? There are at least 27 types of prostate cancer and some need a completely different treatment aporoach. If and when the enza fails, he could try one of the somewhat old fashioned treatments like silboestrol or a steroid, which others here have sometimes found successful for valuable extra time.

Did they say whether the heart damage had been caused by the chemo? My f-i-l had a heart attack and heart failure which was apparently caused by the type of chemo he had.

Edited by member 06 Aug 2019 at 00:17  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 08 Aug 2019 at 02:44

Lyn thank you for this valuable information.  You clearly have put a lot of time into research and building your knowledge base.  And taking the time to reply to so many of us is greatly appreciated.  

Yes my husband, Arden, has adenocarcinoma.  We were told in the beginning his cancer is aggressive.  Mayo however has been encouraging about the different types of treatment we can consider.  We had hoped the HT alone would be enough with the sessions of chemo but his PSA was going back up already a couple months after chemo was done.  This has been disappointing.  

We go back mid October after being on Enza about 3.5 months.  We hope to see a further decrease in PSA.  After being on it for 3 weeks PSA went from 6.6 to 3.2.   

Thank you for your help!!  Very glad your husband and Dad continue to do well.  

User
Posted 10 Aug 2019 at 00:50

Hi there

just wanted to add that my hubby was 61 on diagnosis, PSA only 25 but spread to bone and lymph and a Gleason 10. That was in Dec 2010. Back then I couldn’t find many people with a similar diagnosis. We are now sadly in the final stages but never, ever thought we’d get nearly 9 years. Hubby only has chemo late last year due to being on the old protocols, our onco believes in waiting to use a treatment until the optimum moment and it has worked well for us.

good luck

Devonmaid xxx

User
Posted 11 Aug 2019 at 23:16

Thank you so kindly for your reply.  I am amazed at the good response your hubby has had to treatments.  My heart hurt reading the last few months and increase in PSA, spread of mets.  God bless him and you, this is so hard.   It was encouraging to read how much time you have had.  I hope for more for both of you.  

User
Posted 26 Oct 2019 at 16:13

Update on my husband Arden:

Oct 21 appt at Mayo - PSA 22.4

Back on Oct 25 for scans.  New mets in ribs, spine, and hips.  Two large tumors on both adrenal glands, each 5.5 centimeter (2 inches).  

We are numb and terrified, already spread to organs and only 13 months in.  Arden will have biopsy on 10/30 of the adrenal tumors to help them determine course of treatment.  Dr says a new trial just opened 2 days ago that might be the right aggressive approach.  We are putting our trust in this Dr and Mayo.  However I do have reservations about a new trial (which we don't know the name of yet) and the desire to get people into it versus it being the right one.  We had talked about immunotherapy at our 10/21 visit and also bicalutimide/abiraterone, and radium 223.  I suspect radium is now off the table since there is spread to organs.  And Dr says he assumes it is in lymph nodes but no scan has ever stated that.  Is that just an assumption?

We feel like spread to organs is a death sentence, we can't even function today.  We've got to pick up our boot straps and get in a better frame of mind.  We feel completely hopeless.  And we are to leave for holiday for 10 days on the 31st to Budapest, Vienna, Prague and Berlin.  Dr says go ahead and make the trip, he is not in any imminent danger.  He is still feeling pretty good.  Dr said stop Enzalutimide asap as he has to be off it for 4 weeks to start a trial.  So he'll probably feel even better.  Still on HT shots every three months.  Had one on 10/21.

Thoughts? 

Let me say here we are not in the UK.  I have not found a forum here like this.  I am beyond grateful I am allowed to post here and read your posts.  Thank you for listening and providing insight.  

Saint Paul

User
Posted 26 Oct 2019 at 16:21
Terrifying for you, hope you get some good news soon.

What is the trial? They have been trialling luetinium over here with what appears to be great success.

Abbi or Enzo are also good options if you have those..

User
Posted 26 Oct 2019 at 17:15
I get why you are frightened; enzo wouldn’t normally fail so quickly. In the UK, if enzo fails you are not then allowed to have Abiraterone on the NHS as data shows that if one fails so does the other. However, the rules are different in the US and it would be worth asking for - but have your holiday first, and make some wonderful memories. I can also see the benefit of adding bicalutimide to see whether that gives a temporary boost to the Lupron; has he been having his testosterone levels measured? Not sure that radium 223 is worth trying in your case, unless he has a lot of bone pain, but there is still cabazitaxel and stilboestrol and, as someone else suggested, lutetium is being trialled.

The decision about whether to go for the trial is a tough one. Personally, while there is still a chance of prolonging life I would only go for a trial if there was no risk of being allocated the placebo without knowing. If life could not be prolonged and all treatment options had run out, I would consider a blind trial on the basis that it may save men of the future. If the trial is open, so you know that he is getting something active rather than a placebo, what is there to lose? Tough decisions :-/

User
Posted 26 Oct 2019 at 17:20

Did not even think to ask about Placebo - thank you!!  Will know more upon our return and will update.  

Grateful for all your responses!

SP

User
Posted 26 Oct 2019 at 18:09

Sorry forget about testosterone.  It was 11 in June.  Dr says didn’t check it in Oct and assumes HT is keeping it down.  I told him we want it checked more often.  

User
Posted 26 Oct 2019 at 19:24

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Sorry forget about testosterone.  It was 11 in June.  Dr says didn’t check it in Oct and assumes HT is keeping it down.  I told him we want it checked more often.  

Check that out - 11 what? The US uses a different unit measurement to the UK, where castrate level is regarded as below 0.7nmol/L  whereas in America, the same level is usually written as 20ng/dL. 

You have to trust your doctors but in the current circumstances, assuming the HT is keeping the testosterone down seems like a huge leap of faith! 

User
Posted 28 Oct 2019 at 00:52

Here we go - yes 11ng for testosterone.  

User
Posted 28 Oct 2019 at 11:23
👍

User
Posted 15 Nov 2019 at 14:19

Update on hubby Arden.  Arrived back from Europe on 11/11, back at Mayo on 11/13.  PSA up to 38 now (was 22 three weeks ago).  Biopsy of the two tumors on the adrenal glands are prostate cancer.  

Drs say conventional treatments are probably not going to be effective.  Not a candidate for immunotherapy either because his DNA mismatch repair is normal.  

We signed papers for a new experimental trial.  They are moving quickly to get approval.  Because of his heart attack and triple bypass late May he might be precluded from the trial.  Our Onco is working to get it approved since it has been 6 months since the heart issue and his health aside from cancer is exceptional.  We walked 7-8 miles every day on holiday and he did well.  Still working, all bloods are normal, feeling overall pretty well.  

The trial is for an infusion every 3 weeks and a pill every day.  CABOZANTINIB and ATEZOLIZUMAB.  He will stay on the trial as long as it is working.  It is extremely expensive but Mayo is covering the cost.  These drugs are FDA approved but for other cancers, they have not been used for Prostate cancer.  They are trying to start the first infusion and pill next Friday.  Side affects for the infusion are non existent, but the pill has many.  

There are several in the trial now, one had miraculous results, one died, the others are showing positive trends.  I will be updating this site as he begins the trial and results come in.  They will be watching his PSA closely.  

We went three months on the Enzo with no check of PSA - Dr was confident it would give him good results.  That was a mistake, but not Drs fault I guess.  Enzo has provided great results for so many.  And 3 weeks into it his PSA had come down to 3.2 so we assumed it would work for a period of time.  

User
Posted 15 Nov 2019 at 15:50
All the best with the trial I hope you get on it and it works well.
User
Posted 15 Nov 2019 at 19:47

Hi Saint Paul ,

i don’t look in on the forum very much anymore but your post just reached out to me . Our journey ended on the 1/11/2018 .

if you want to read our journey it’s under Trevor Boothe , I am his wife Julie and all of the posts are from me because throughout his journey he never posted . 

This forum was my life line for almost 5 years , even though I had family and friends to turn to the forum was for me my support network from people that understood.

I hope that you will find the same support ! 

Just a very short recap of our journey to maybe help you , if you read my posts I have used genuine humour to tell our journey from start to finish .

so Trevor had 3 major heart attacks , before being diagnosed with terminal pca . His initial pas was 13000 with extensive bone mets and lymph nodes invasion . His bone mets where extensive throughout his whole skeleton.

we knew from the outset that every treatment was only to extend and prolong his life . Radium 223 was his last extending drug .

But and if you read any of my posts my famous BUT is legendary. But even with the worst case scenario Trevor lived and I can only emphasise LIVED in the most positive way for almost 5 years with the worst case scenario. 

Make every day every hour count , because we could have wasted 5 years and that 5 years was precious.

BFN 

Julie XXX

NEVER LAUGH AT A LIVE DRAGON
User
Posted 15 Nov 2019 at 22:00
Awe inspiring post Julie.

St Paul, don't count days, make every day count.

So glad you enjoyed your European trip.

User
Posted 17 Nov 2019 at 20:05

Julie - today was the day I needed to see some hope and there was your post :)  You are a blessing to take the time to respond.  I have read your bio more than once and very familiar with you and your husband's journey.  I keep my tears and fear to a minimum and when I am alone.  It took us some months but we live in reality now and know every day is new grace.  I appreciate your affirmations.  Thank you so kindly!

Judy in Saint Paul, MN

User
Posted 17 Nov 2019 at 20:06

Thank you Jasper so very much!

User
Posted 17 Nov 2019 at 20:06

Thank you Franci!!

User
Posted 01 Dec 2019 at 00:29

Arden had first treatment on clinical trial 11/21.  About 5 days prior he had nausea and low grade fever, back pain (symptoms he had when he first got sick and was diagnosed).  On 11/22 he went to work.  11/23 Saturday he was running a fever, nausea and pain in groin.  It went up to 102.5 so I took him to Mayo, Saint Mary's hospital.  He was admitted and released late Sunday night.  Monday his fever broke and off to work he went, worked Tuesday as well.  Felt good overall.  Wednesday started feeling  lousy again.  Thursday in the middle of our Thanksgiving dinner his fever was 104.7.  I took him to the emergency room at the hospital near our house.  He has been there ever since.  His fever went up to 106, severe groin pain, pain in his upper right arm, and back.  Temp today is still 102.8.  Has anyone had immunotherapy type treatment and are these common symptoms?  Anyone have fever along with pain as the PSA goes up and cancer progresses?  His Mayo team is out Thurs - Sunday for the holiday here and the on call team said let the hospital here get him stable and stop taking the oral drug from the trial for now.  We will talk to his Mayo Dr on Monday to see how to proceed.  10 days ago he swam 27 laps at the gym.  Now he cannot even walk or get out of bed at the hospital.  He's lost 12+ lbs in the last week or so.  Thank you!

User
Posted 19 Jan 2020 at 16:40

Jan 19, 2020:

We are two months into the clinical trial.  No improvement in that all tumors & mets still exist and have gotten slightly larger (by millimeters).  One new met in femur.  Most mets are in sternum, spine, and pelvic areas.  two large tumors on each adrenal gland.  

3 hospital stays in Nov and Dec - reaction to treatment (high fever & pain which both go away a week or so after the immunotherapy infusions), and last was admitted on Christmas Eve for 5 days.  Permanent damage to adrenal glands caused a variety of symptoms and he is now on steroids for that.  

Lost a lot of weight, still working half days but will be done soon as disability was approved for now.  He looks gaunt, has no energy or appetite, no motivation to plan or do things, PSA 88 as of 1/2/20.  We don't do a lot.  We both pray a lot and try to stay positive that he has more time.  I can barely keep up with so many people checking in so I created a caringbridge site with updates.  I take care of everything and him and am exhausted.  

Drs don't feel there are a lot of options if this trial does not give him more time.  What about Cabizitaxel?  Or more Doceltaxel?  They said since Enza did not work Abi won't either.  Talked about Radium 223 at one point but they put that on the back burner.  I think about 2nd opinions but Mayo Clinic is considered here in the US (and to other countries as well) the best.  

I could use any encouraging words from you kind folks.  We are only 18 months in, I thought we would have so much time trying different treatments.  

Thank you, 

Saint Paul

User
Posted 19 Jan 2020 at 22:37
Sorry to hear you are running out of options, is Leutinum treatment a available over there?
User
Posted 20 Jan 2020 at 07:34

Yes, as francij1 mentions, Lutetium 177 may be a decent option.

Both I and Valleyboy are undergoing this fairly new treatment presently.

Also, at the clinic I attend, the talk is now of immunotherapy.

Good luck.

Dave

"Incurable cancer does not mean it is untreatable and does not mean it is terminal either"
User
Posted 20 Jan 2020 at 10:30
The trial that Arden is on is a type of immunotherapy. As you say, these drugs are used for other cancers but not prostate so the trial team has a responsibility to call a halt as soon as they are convinced that it isn’t working and / or that the side effects are too severe. You could ask about Lutetium or cabazitaxel.

User
Posted 20 Jan 2020 at 18:12

Thank you all, I had forgotten about the Lutetium 177 I read about in some of your posts.  I jotted it down as well.  Dave I was encouraged to read you are hearing about immunotherapy at your clinic.  Mayo says it traditionally has not been effective for prostate cancer, but.....nonetheless these trials are valuable.  We hope it helps other men down the road.  I understand Docetaxel was once a trail only, I guess most treatments were.  I will put out an update middle of Feb when he has scans again.  

I greatly appreciate the responses.  We knew from the beginning what we were up against.  Fortunately he has no pain.  The only pain now is about a week after infusion in one pelvic area then it goes away after a few days.  

My thanks, 

Judy

User
Posted 12 Feb 2020 at 00:03

My beloved husband Arden is gone now, at home in God's kingdom.  He went quickly and unexpectedly on January 29th early in the morning after a massive brain bleed at home.  He went to work as always on the 28th, was not feeling well later that night and I called paramedics around 9:30pm.  We thought we had many more months at least.  

I am beyond devastated, I don't know how the wives here get through this.  I can't imagine life without him.  I hope he comes for me soon.  Being here alone in our home that we loved is not a life.  

I am encouraged to see so many on here that keep fighting and finding treatments that give them more time.  What a blessing and I pray it continues for all of you.  

Judy in Saint Paul, Minnesota, USA

User
Posted 12 Feb 2020 at 00:53
Judy, I am so, so sorry to read this. I can only wish you a little more of the strength that you have already shown to sustain you in the coming weeks and months.

God be with you x

User
Posted 12 Feb 2020 at 01:13

My heart goes out to you Judy.

God Bless xx

User
Posted 12 Feb 2020 at 02:12

Bless you and keep you safe through your grief.

User
Posted 12 Feb 2020 at 05:38
So sorry to hear this.
User
Posted 12 Feb 2020 at 07:39

Sorry to hear your sad news.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 12 Feb 2020 at 08:12

I'm so sorry.  Praying you find the strength to get you through. xx

User
Posted 12 Feb 2020 at 08:52

I am so very sorry to read this Judy. You are in my thoughts.

Shelagh xx

User
Posted 12 Feb 2020 at 09:38
So sorry to hear this :-(
User
Posted 12 Feb 2020 at 09:48

Judy

So sorry for your loss.You are in our thoughts and prayers

User
Posted 12 Feb 2020 at 10:10
So sorry to hear of your loss :( xxx

User
Posted 12 Feb 2020 at 12:13
My heart breaks for you,so sorry to hear your very sad news.

May God keep you strong for the difficult times ahead.

Kim xx

User
Posted 12 Feb 2020 at 12:38
So sorry to hear your news Judy
User
Posted 12 Feb 2020 at 13:49

So sorry this has come so quickly for you both.

Sending our love.

Mrs MAS

User
Posted 12 Feb 2020 at 15:00

I am so sorry to read this and my thoughts and prayers are with you. It will take a very long time to get past the shock of all that has happened but I hope that one day you will still be able to live to enjoy things again. Nothing will ever feel the same and only time can help to heal. Try to think how he would want you to be and take all the support that may be offered as you feel you can.

User
Posted 12 Feb 2020 at 17:57
So sorry for your loss Judy. Wishing you strength to get through this. When we die we live on in the memories of others. I'm sure you have many good ones to help you through.

Cheers

Bill

User
Posted 12 Feb 2020 at 21:35
Very sorry to read this Judy.
User
Posted 13 Feb 2020 at 00:01
I read your thread and write with tears in my eyes and a lump in my throat. I am so sorry to read of your loss. I was rooting for the trial ( I have read the whole thread in one go tonight) .

Please accept my condolences at this terrible time. Your hubbie was a much loved man that is clear from your postings. So so sorry for your loss.

Clare

User
Posted 13 Feb 2020 at 05:59
Awful news but I take comfort for you and him from the love and devotion you had for him to the end. You will get over this and find new purpose in life in your own time.
User
Posted 13 Feb 2020 at 13:46
So sorry to hear this Judy God bless and take care Geoff
User
Posted 13 Feb 2020 at 18:31

Judy I’m sorry to hear of your very sad loss.