I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Smelly urine

User
Posted 07 Aug 2019 at 22:14

I have developed strong smell in my urine. It started about three weeks ago, I’m self catheterising once daily and having a TURP op next Thursday  also on monthly Prostap injections. I thought it could be an infection but the urine test  came back negative, I’ve also rang urology and they said if I feel ok and the test was negative, don’t worry, I feel fine in myself, and no stinging or other pain on passing urine,  but wondered if anyone else has ever had this ?

User
Posted 07 Aug 2019 at 22:54
The urine dip tests done at GP practice don't always pick up a UTI - a more detailed analysis by a hospital lab can often lead to a diagnosis that the dip teast missed. Having said that, I would be reluctant to push it right now in case it delays your TURP!

Other causes of smelly urine include a change in diet, not being sufficiently hydrated and sometimes, thrush.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 08 Aug 2019 at 07:32

Thanks for reply Lyn I agree I don’t want to hold up the TURP op !! (Has to be done but I’m really not looking forward to it) the GP receptionist said the sample had also gone to the hospital lab just to make sure, and it came back negative.  I’ll try more fluids to see if that helps.  Thanks again 

User
Posted 08 Aug 2019 at 07:38

What you eat and drugs you take can make a big difference to the smell.
Did anything change in that way?

User
Posted 08 Aug 2019 at 08:17

The only thing that has changed up to now (since diagnosed in May this year) is monthly Prostap injections, had my 3rd last week, this smell has been gradual, now quite strong.............could be that !!??  I’ll up my fluids see if it makes any difference.  Thanks Andy 

User
Posted 08 Aug 2019 at 09:18

Not noticed any such change when I was on bicalutamide, or Zoladex now. Never done prostap myself.

Another thought - diet or diabetes?
Ketoacidosis can be quite smelly. It's when your body is deriving most of its energy from fats, rather than sugars.
It can happen on a carb-free diet (which is harmless apart from the body smell as far as I know), and it can also happen with diabetes where you can't absorb and use the sugar in your blood, so your body burns fats instead (and sugars remain in blood unused and at elevated levels).
Also happens with alcoholics.

Quite often, people suffering this don't seem to be able to smell it themselves.

User
Posted 08 Aug 2019 at 16:01

Thanks for the info Andy, very interesting although  I’ve not changed my diet dramatically recently and am not diabetic ( that I know of) . I guess I’ll keep an eye on it and maybe look into it more after my TURP next Thursday (15th). Thanks again 

User
Posted 08 Aug 2019 at 18:19
Agree with Lyn on dehydration. My urine can be shocking in both colour and aroma if I don’t watch the water intake. Maybe just try an extra 4 glasses per day ?