I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

How long might my Dad have? Some hope would be good.

User
Posted 09 Aug 2019 at 10:19

I posted on the other link and now have more information and to me it sounds like my Dad has little time left. I just wondered if others had more knowledge on time scales. 

He is 77 and was diagnosed in Jan but only just found out how advanced his cancer is. PSA 280 Gleason 4+5, not sure of the T stage but M0 and N1. ie it has spread to his lymph nodes but not his bones. RT not an option due to position of the spread in his lymph nodes. Chemo ruled out due to his chronic asthma. He has been having HT for last 5 months but a mix up at the hospital means he hasn't had his PSA tracked since diagnosis so sorting that now.

Given his Gleason score and the fact he can't have chemo it feels like he can't have much time left before it will spread to his bones etc. I appreciate given his age other things could impact but have convinced myself he might have less than a year so would like some hope of there is any!

User
Posted 10 Aug 2019 at 00:44

Hi there

i think you are probably over thinking this. Everyone is an individual but how is your dad?  Most often  the symptoms are what indicates whether the cancer has spread further. My own hubby is a Gleason 10 and was diagnosed in Dec 2010 with spread to lymph and bones. He was 61 and is now 70. He know had chemo late last year as it was not normally given until later stages back in the day. 

Hope this gives you some hope

love Devonmaid 

User
Posted 10 Aug 2019 at 01:07
also important to understand that prostate cancer isn’t linear ... it doesn’t go from the prostate to the lymph nodes to the bones and then you die. Some men never have any mets in their bones, others might have a very small tumour in the prostate but extensive bone mets. My father in law never had bone or lymph involvement but it went to his liver and kidneys and he died of organ failure.

Your dad might be around for years yet.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 12 Aug 2019 at 00:19

Thank you both. I've been reading through your journies and it is kind of you to give me some hope. I know my parents are getting older but I'm not ready to lose them yet. I guess you think they are going to live forever. I've done lots of reading now and so have lots of questions ready for the next appointment.at the end of August. First PSA tracking since treatment started so fingers crossed.