Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

sudden urinary incontinence 2 months after brachiatherapy

User
Posted 10 Aug 2019 at 17:27

hi

any advice appreciated.my 53 yr old husband had brachiatherapy treatment 2 months ago.

just today he has had urinary incontinence for the first time.a lot of urine leaked soaking his clothes without him realising.

he has had left sided tummy pain for 4/5 days which he thinks is his usual IBS flare and has felt weary but until then he has been doing well.his temperature is normal and no burning/stinging

thank you in advance

suzanne

User
Posted 10 Aug 2019 at 23:46

Side effects from permanent seed brachy typically peak after 1-2 months, but usually reduce after a couple more months. Some side effects take longer to show up.

See the Permanant Seed Brachytherapy publication.

By the way, assuming it was seed brachy (rather than HDR brachy), your husband's brachy treatment started 2 months ago. It continues until the seeds run low on radioactivity, which will be a year or so. The seeds most commonly used lose half their radioactivity every 3 months, so that's 50% gone at 3 months, 75% at 6 months, 88% at 9 months, 94% after a year, etc.

User
Posted 11 Aug 2019 at 02:04

hi

thank you for replying.it is the permanent seed type so it could well be that things are peaking.

his temperature tonight seemed on the low side.this also happened earlier this year after biopsy and then kept spiking along with chills and he ended up with acute prostatitis on antibiotics both oral and i.v.il keep a close eye on things.

again thank you

kindest regards

suzanne

User
Posted 11 Aug 2019 at 07:59

By the way, he should be keeping up with Pelvic Floor Exercises - it's easy to forget them during periods of full continence. This would be particularly useful if he can work out what action causes the leakage. Then he can try and compensate for it.

Also, it would do no harm to contact his oncology team if it becomes frequent or worse.

User
Posted 11 Aug 2019 at 08:54

hi

thank you andy.pelvic floor exercises were never mentioned to us but the leaflet says about  them.i dont think he has done any but can always start as better late than never

kindest regards

suzanne

User
Posted 11 Aug 2019 at 08:55
Contact your medical team, sudden onset + pain needs to be looked at.
User
Posted 11 Aug 2019 at 09:28

hi

thank you.i saw that there was an out of hours number on leaflet but him being a man said see how he is on monday.:-/

will see how he is when he wakes 

thank you for replying

kindest regards

suzanne