I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

PSA WAY Down after 3 mths RT!

User
Posted 13 Aug 2019 at 18:44

Went for my 2nd, 3 mthly HT injection this morning and was told my PSA was down from 9.3 to 0.05!!!

My original Gleason was 4+5

Can this POSSIBLY mean the Cancer is under control and that I needn't go through with the RT?

I'm being mapped for RT next Thursday......

User
Posted 13 Aug 2019 at 18:44

Went for my 2nd, 3 mthly HT injection this morning and was told my PSA was down from 9.3 to 0.05!!!

My original Gleason was 4+5

Can this POSSIBLY mean the Cancer is under control and that I needn't go through with the RT?

I'm being mapped for RT next Thursday......

User
Posted 13 Aug 2019 at 19:54

The HT only controls the PSA while you are taking it; if you don’t have the RT then as soon as you stop having the hormones your cancer will become active again.

Your Gleason will remain G4+5 - it doesn’t change when you have hormone therapy. 

Edited by member 13 Aug 2019 at 19:55  | Reason: Not specified

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 14 Aug 2019 at 20:04

HT is only temporarily effective (that can be very many years, but less likely with G4+5). It will eventually stop working.

Getting your PSA < 0.1 when you start RT is excellent - it results in improved outcomes. You should have the RT ASAP, before the HT becomes less effective on your cancer.

I delayed my RT to let the HT get my PSA down to 0.1 (actually, I was 0.12 just before first session), but not everyone can get their PSA that low on HT, and if you wait too long, you will start to see it increase.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 13 Aug 2019 at 19:54

The HT only controls the PSA while you are taking it; if you don’t have the RT then as soon as you stop having the hormones your cancer will become active again.

Your Gleason will remain G4+5 - it doesn’t change when you have hormone therapy. 

Edited by member 13 Aug 2019 at 19:55  | Reason: Not specified

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 14 Aug 2019 at 20:04

HT is only temporarily effective (that can be very many years, but less likely with G4+5). It will eventually stop working.

Getting your PSA < 0.1 when you start RT is excellent - it results in improved outcomes. You should have the RT ASAP, before the HT becomes less effective on your cancer.

I delayed my RT to let the HT get my PSA down to 0.1 (actually, I was 0.12 just before first session), but not everyone can get their PSA that low on HT, and if you wait too long, you will start to see it increase.