Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Should psa be lower

User
Posted 19 Aug 2019 at 19:00

Hi

Dad has advanced pc with bone mets.  Been getting hormone injections.  Started at 102, then 17.1 now 13.  

He's been on inj for 7 months. I thought it would have reduced by more this time as 13 sounds high.  

He's refused chemo as told that it probably wouldn't make much of a difference.  He's 76 and so far in good health and no pain. 

Should I be worried about it only dropping by 4 or is this normal ?

Ta. 

Jackie 

User
Posted 19 Aug 2019 at 20:01

Jackie,

Different peoples' prostate cancers respond differently to hormone therapy.

That his is responding is good.

Can you give the dates of the readings (or better, add them in the Profile Bio section), then it's possible to crudely plot the trajectory.

User
Posted 19 Aug 2019 at 21:21
Might be a good idea for testosterone reading to be taken with next PSA to plot effectiveness of HT.
Barry
User
Posted 20 Aug 2019 at 06:14
My friend is 87 and his PSA on diagnosis was 300. He is on HT and his urologist is happy with his PSA at 18.

He has no symptoms of the disease or any side effects from the HT, the lucky bugger!

Cheers, John.
User
Posted 20 Aug 2019 at 17:54
There isn't a correct number for PSA while on HT; there isn't even an acceptable range. What is important is the direction of travel, if the PSA is falling or holding, that is good ... if it is rising, that is a concern. As Barry says, adding a testosterone check to the regular blood tests gives an extra layer of reassurance but 100 down to 13 wouldn't give me nightmares.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 21 Aug 2019 at 20:50

I agree with the others. My husband has never had a high PSA (99 at worst) and he is in the final stages with PSA at 39. If dad is ok, be happy.

love Devonmaid