Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

RT/obesity related side effects

User
Posted 19 Aug 2019 at 21:40

Hi all

Wonder if anyone here has suffered from vasovagal syncope as a result of RT and HT related obesity?

I have been having micro dizzy / fainting spells (causing things like momentary bladder control loss) especially after eating, BMs or IBS spasms and something clicked about something I had read ages ago. I looked it up again. A lot of people seem to suffer from it.

The vagus nerve runs from the brain to the abdomen. I read that straining it can cause dizziness and fainting under certain triggers.

I am well overweight (15 1/2 stone but dropping) from the HT with a lot of visceral fat so my giblets are already squashed. I suffer from IBS exacerbated by the RT somewhat and big meals tend to go through me like an unpeeled pineapple. Giblets get squashed even more thus squashing the nerve.

I am seeing the GP this week but I suspect given that I am not having other cardiac issues and my apple watch is not screaming at me that this is the likely cause.

If anyone has had this, apart from weight loss, anything else to reduce it?

P

Edited by member 20 Aug 2019 at 05:45  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 20 Aug 2019 at 14:54

Sorry PP, I cannot answer your question. I looked up causes of vasovagal syncope but couldn’t find much information on links with PC treatment.

Hope you get some info from your doctor.

Ido4

User
Posted 20 Aug 2019 at 20:06
Cheers

I think the HT and RT are root causes but the real underlying issue is that I’m a fat knacker πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€

User
Posted 20 Aug 2019 at 20:36

πŸ˜‚

Ido4

User
Posted 21 Aug 2019 at 10:45

Pete

I'm up to 98kg and my BMI is now over 30.  I really do hope it's the bicalutimide.  I'm seeing my oncologist in at 12.30 today, and I'm hoping she tells me to stop the bicalutimide.  Hoping the weight will drop off after that.

Hope your GP has some answers for you.

Ulsterman

Edited by member 24 Aug 2019 at 14:22  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 23 Aug 2019 at 07:50
Hi Ulsterman

Weight gain sucks doesn’t it.

I have gone strict in terms of three healthy meals a day and limited healthy snacks and the weight is coming off.

Doc said I was doing the right thing. The syncope is fairly common and harmless. Just need to lose the weight.

User
Posted 23 Aug 2019 at 17:03

I was worried what was going to happen when my exercise was cut back by the radiotherapy. My EBRT sessions were all around midday, so I basically dropped lunch and fell back to 2 meals a day, and that kept my weight flat over the EBRT. This is actually important for that period, because you don't want weight to change between your planning scan (typically a couple of weeks before the EBRT starts) and the end of the EBRT. Mine varied by -1.3kg to +0.7kg although that doesn't tell the whole story as without exercise, I dropped muscle and gained fat.

Anyway, I got no complaints about weight change. Someone who must have been losing weight was told to go and eat some more cakes!