Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Wounds, post surgery.

User
Posted 24 Aug 2019 at 12:52

Hi there...

i just had robotic surgery to remove my prostate last Tuesday, following diagnosis of localised cancer (Gleason 7) in June. I had a very enlarged prostate too (110mg?) which made for a long operation.

im feeling ok, but moving slowly. One of the surgery wounds, the one by my navel, used I think to remove the prostate, is still weeping a bit, 4 days on. Not infected so I’m keeping it clean and open by day. Does anyone have experience or a view on healing times for these wounds? I’m grateful for this site and for the experiences shared. Thank you.

User
Posted 24 Aug 2019 at 12:52

Hi there...

i just had robotic surgery to remove my prostate last Tuesday, following diagnosis of localised cancer (Gleason 7) in June. I had a very enlarged prostate too (110mg?) which made for a long operation.

im feeling ok, but moving slowly. One of the surgery wounds, the one by my navel, used I think to remove the prostate, is still weeping a bit, 4 days on. Not infected so I’m keeping it clean and open by day. Does anyone have experience or a view on healing times for these wounds? I’m grateful for this site and for the experiences shared. Thank you.

User
Posted 24 Aug 2019 at 15:28

Hi,   It isn't something I made a note of as it went well.  I seem to recall it was 3 months before I went to the gym and was very careful not to strain.  Although we had a holiday and a 20kg suitcase only 6 weeks after the op.  The middle wound will let you know if you're doing too much. 

They're obviously deep wounds going right through.  When I look at my stomach now it's hard to know anything happened.

You might also judge how well your bladder is healing from the progress of your wounds.  I was ultra careful about straining my bladder attachment.

You presumably have an appointment at the GP to have your staples removed in a few days.  I'd wait till then unless the weeping is significant or an odd colour, if it was I'd go to the walk in.

All the best.

User
Posted 24 Aug 2019 at 17:11
When I had similar robotic abdominal surgery last September to remove my left kidney (the prostate MRI scan very fortunately found an entirely unrelated localised kidney tumour 😀) it took a good two weeks for all the wounds to dry up. It's very early days yet. Take it easy and don't try to overdo it. It'll probably be six weeks at least before you get back to anything like normal physical activity. I made the mistake of trying to push a trolley around Sainsbury's a week after surgery and almost passed out.

User
Posted 24 Aug 2019 at 20:16

I have a photo of my wounds 16 days after the op.   As you can't post photos on here I just put it on another of my  websites.

https://sites.google.com/site/suntantoskincancer/links/another-op-wounds-1st-jan-2017

If you look at my profile the photo is linked on the website I created for my Prostate Cancer experience although Google did some fancy work with a new system and the link is no longer reliable.

User
Posted 25 Aug 2019 at 02:56
I think the worst part of my surgery, which I consider to be virtually painless, was the subsequent healing of the six laparoscopic puncture wounds.

The sutures, which were like extremely thin fishing line, were supposed to be ‘dissolvable’ with time, but unfortunately did not! I had soreness and inflammation in several of the wounds.

I had antibiotics and three separate visits to the nurse to fish out the almost invisible remnants of the stitches. Just remember, your innards will probably be healing at a similar rate to your belly, so don’t be surprised if you pass some old dark blood clots weeks after your op.

My friend, who has had several operations, says dissolvable sutures never do in her body!

Best of luck with your recovery.

Cheers, John.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 24 Aug 2019 at 15:28

Hi,   It isn't something I made a note of as it went well.  I seem to recall it was 3 months before I went to the gym and was very careful not to strain.  Although we had a holiday and a 20kg suitcase only 6 weeks after the op.  The middle wound will let you know if you're doing too much. 

They're obviously deep wounds going right through.  When I look at my stomach now it's hard to know anything happened.

You might also judge how well your bladder is healing from the progress of your wounds.  I was ultra careful about straining my bladder attachment.

You presumably have an appointment at the GP to have your staples removed in a few days.  I'd wait till then unless the weeping is significant or an odd colour, if it was I'd go to the walk in.

All the best.

User
Posted 24 Aug 2019 at 16:49

Thank you. I’ll see how it looks in a few days, but it isn’t bright red, doesn’t smell odd etc.

Ill have an appointment towards the end of the week to lose the catheter I think, so will ask then.

Up to now, I’m feeling lucky. Although I ache, and have bruises coming out, it’s not as bad as I was expecting. Thanks again and all the best to you.

User
Posted 24 Aug 2019 at 17:11
When I had similar robotic abdominal surgery last September to remove my left kidney (the prostate MRI scan very fortunately found an entirely unrelated localised kidney tumour 😀) it took a good two weeks for all the wounds to dry up. It's very early days yet. Take it easy and don't try to overdo it. It'll probably be six weeks at least before you get back to anything like normal physical activity. I made the mistake of trying to push a trolley around Sainsbury's a week after surgery and almost passed out.

User
Posted 24 Aug 2019 at 17:39

Thanks Chris, good advice. I’m taking it very easy. Your Sainsbury’s story is one to remember. 

I’m going to stick to house and garden until the catheter comes out, and then build up slowly. 

I’m grateful for your reply and wish you well.

User
Posted 24 Aug 2019 at 20:16

I have a photo of my wounds 16 days after the op.   As you can't post photos on here I just put it on another of my  websites.

https://sites.google.com/site/suntantoskincancer/links/another-op-wounds-1st-jan-2017

If you look at my profile the photo is linked on the website I created for my Prostate Cancer experience although Google did some fancy work with a new system and the link is no longer reliable.

User
Posted 25 Aug 2019 at 02:56
I think the worst part of my surgery, which I consider to be virtually painless, was the subsequent healing of the six laparoscopic puncture wounds.

The sutures, which were like extremely thin fishing line, were supposed to be ‘dissolvable’ with time, but unfortunately did not! I had soreness and inflammation in several of the wounds.

I had antibiotics and three separate visits to the nurse to fish out the almost invisible remnants of the stitches. Just remember, your innards will probably be healing at a similar rate to your belly, so don’t be surprised if you pass some old dark blood clots weeks after your op.

My friend, who has had several operations, says dissolvable sutures never do in her body!

Best of luck with your recovery.

Cheers, John.

User
Posted 26 Aug 2019 at 20:21

Hi there

I had similar surgery 12 weeks ago RP, my scars took about seven weeks to heal completely with no real exertion. I now feel good and lift my grandchildren with no problems. I think it is just about taking it easy after the op, no Bike riding!!! 

Take care

Peter

User
Posted 26 Aug 2019 at 21:23

A couple of mine took many months to heal.

They used superglue on the surface of the smaller cuts and stitches on the main belly button one where they removed the bloody thing - this had a huge knot under the surface which I can still feel the remnants of.

I just had to keep it clean.

User
Posted 27 Aug 2019 at 12:31

Thank you for your reply. I just have the main scar (the exit one) weeping a bit now. 

I do appreciate all of these replies, and wish everyone the very best.