Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

How safe is Cyproterone Acetate

User
Posted 29 Aug 2019 at 15:42

Hi there,

I've just been prescribed 28 days' worth of Cyproterone Acetate 50mg to try to combat the night sweats brought on by the 3-monthly Prostap jabs.

After reading the leaflet that came with the tablets regarding potential side effects I am more than a little concerned.  There's a bit of me that is saying that I shouldn't bother with them, and just tolerate the sweats.  Lately (especially in the hot weather) it has been becoming pretty fluid, so there's another bit of me that says take them and get a decent night's sleep at last.  Luckily my bladder is behaving itself (thank you Tamsulosin), so I don't have to get up in the night (although when I get woken by a major sweat, I do tend to go for a pee just to get comfortable again - and to try to dry off a bit!).

Anyone got any experience of Cyproterone Acetate?

User
Posted 29 Aug 2019 at 16:17
Almost all of the side effects are common to all hormone treatments so if you are going to get them you probably already have them from the Prostap or had them when you took bicalutimide at the beginning of your treatment.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 03 Sep 2019 at 13:21
Stewart I've stopped mentioning my hot flushes to my good lady because she just says you know what it's like for women now.

I just try and counter them by holding my breath count to 30 in my head and they pass.

This of course doesn't work at night when I boot the quilt to the foot of the bed then wake up 10 minutes later damp and cold.

Us Prostap pals have to stick together 👍

Enjoyed your blogs.

User
Posted 05 Sep 2019 at 06:47
Cipro is prescribed a lot more in the US. In the US forum I am a member of, a few people reported adverse side effects.

Anecdotal of course but I suggest you keep an eye out for anything out of the ordinary.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 29 Aug 2019 at 16:17
Almost all of the side effects are common to all hormone treatments so if you are going to get them you probably already have them from the Prostap or had them when you took bicalutimide at the beginning of your treatment.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 03 Sep 2019 at 13:21
Stewart I've stopped mentioning my hot flushes to my good lady because she just says you know what it's like for women now.

I just try and counter them by holding my breath count to 30 in my head and they pass.

This of course doesn't work at night when I boot the quilt to the foot of the bed then wake up 10 minutes later damp and cold.

Us Prostap pals have to stick together 👍

Enjoyed your blogs.

User
Posted 03 Sep 2019 at 19:17

I don't have to mention them Jasper, I just catch her watching the water running down my face and neck.  She knows.

The good news is it's my turn to drive along on cold winter days with the car window wide open...

Glad you are enjoying the blog.

User
Posted 05 Sep 2019 at 06:47
Cipro is prescribed a lot more in the US. In the US forum I am a member of, a few people reported adverse side effects.

Anecdotal of course but I suggest you keep an eye out for anything out of the ordinary.

User
Posted 05 Sep 2019 at 14:38

Thanks for the advice Pete, I'll certainly do that.

So far it seems to be helping, but some of the time, not all of the time...  we'll see.

User
Posted 09 Sep 2019 at 10:14

Nearly a fortnight into taking Cyproterone, and it seems to be helping enormously.

The flushes are still there, and at night I get too hot in bed (I've been wanting to say that for years!!!), but the sweats are merely the odd bead of perspiration on my brow!

I know it sounds pathetic, but I now feel confident that I can go out in public without the threat of dripping all over the place at a moment's notice.

So far so much better.  I hope it continues to be beneficial.